Security system in Viper???????????

Mamba man steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hull, Ma. summer /Delray Beach Fl. winter
i got locked out of my viper 04 and dealer cut me a key which was great. BUT i then locked with the electronic key pad and opened car door with key and started without using key pad. the key does not have chip as most cars, and it means any dumb thief could steal it.. Anyone have suggestions how to protect the car??????? who makes a good alarm??? :crazy:

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lock the door and wait for the security lamp to go from fast flash to slow flash, then try to start the car from inside with the doors shut, locked, and alarm set. The engine will not start.

You are probably starting the car before the alarm actually sets.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been told by several people in law enforcement that a Viper is not likely to be targeted by real car thieves. Because of their relative rarity, the Viper is less likely to be stolen than many other cars such as Hondas, Subarus etc. Not a huge market in Viper parts either. Joy riders might try to take the car, and I suppose if you left it parked in a bad area, you're just looking for trouble. Bottom line, however, is that a Viper is less likely to be stolen than a WRX.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If memory serves me correctly, the "In-Case-****" lock cylinder under the mirror will disarm the alarm, just as the lock cylinder in betwen the seats in late Gen-2's will. In the case of the SRT, this same lock cylinder also opens the door. But yes, the security system may not have been armed as mentioned above. it is an immobilizer system, and will not allow the car to start. one good feature I like about the SRT security system, is that it has "zones" built in, and will "learn" which zones need to be protected whenever you lock the car. Example: if you lock/arm the car with the hood open, the light will remain solid, then learn after a few seconds that the hood does not need to be protected. if you open any of the OTHER zones, it goes off. if you close the hood, it adds that zone back in. (trunk does the same thing when you open it with the FOB) The previous generation will not arm the alarm unless all zones are closed.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was bored tonight and tested the theory. the "In-Case-****" lock cylinder under the mirror WILL disarm the alarm, roll down the window, and open the door- electronically if the battery is good, and manually if the battery is bad. it is connected parallel with the INTERIOR handle. (the interior handle is both electronic and manual, if you havent noticed...pull it further than electric opening and you will see) If you are as bored as I was tonight, pop off the little black panel on the front top of the door, and you can view the lock cylinder. Another interesting fact, Dodge actually used a FULL lock cylinder in this device, making it as hard to pick as an ignition cylinder.