selecting a serpentine belt

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am trying to select the right length serpentine belt for my SC car and have a question.

have tied a string around all the SC-related pulleys, and i now have a belt length based on the length of my string.

but if i buy a belt that length, the tensioner wont work. so i obviously need to buy a slightly-shorter belt than the length of my string. but the question is, how short?

anyone know? or should i just ask the company i am buying the belt from and let them decide? would they even know? thanks.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't get the belts dirty, most auto parts stores will let you keep exchanging one you've bought until you've got the right one, :)

boman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a possibility. Have someone move the tensioner to the position that it would be when the belt is installed and then use your string to measure the required length.

Boman

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're buying a blower belt? Now all thats left is, hood, doors, trunk, engine, tranny, interior, gas tank, bumpers, headlights, foglights, supercharger, steering wheel and a few other pieces and you'll have your first VIPER! :) I knew Vipers were hand built but you're taking it to the extreme :)

OP
OP
big-n-italian

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a possibility. Have someone move the tensioner to the position that it would be when the belt is installed and then use your string to measure the required length.

i think we have a winner! thanks!

(now WHY didnt i think of that?) :bonker: