Shameful: I Wrecked My Viper

T.C.z.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I have entered into the worst club possible--the single-car accident club. Two nights ago, I was getting on the turnpike, and when I shifted to third, the rear end went out from under me. Ultimately, I overcorrected, and headed for the grass between the highway and the ramp. Unbenownst to me, there was a drainage ditch about 15 feet off the road. The car hit the ditch and did three cart wheels before landing back on its wheels.

The amazing part is that the passenger and I are both completely fine. He has a separated shoulder, and we both have sore necks, but other than that we are unharmed. The safety of these cars amazes me. I'm 6'6", 300 lbs, and I was able to crawl out the passenger door.

I do know how lucky I am, and I don't drive like a bat-out-of-hell, but normally I don't lose the rear end in third gear, and for some reason, that night was an exception.

You must be registered for see images attach

CAIN MKII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:crazy2: Another one bit the dust.:mad:
I hate it when it happens.:mad:
Glad you and the passenger walked away just fine.
But what a waste. This bady deserved more respect.:rolleyes:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
T.C.z,

Very glad to hear that both you and your passenger are okay (with the exception of a separated shoulder, Grade 1, 2 or 3), but very sorry to hear about your Viper. I'll bet there was a spill of something on the road that just took away your traction and it's really hard to recover these cars on the streets and highways. Is the turnpike concrete like here in NJ?

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
T

T.C.z.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure what will happen to the car. The front end is more messed up than it looks (i.e. hood, front facia, lights, etc. all damaged).

I'll give a quick free plug for Chubb insurance here. Not only is the car on an agreed amount policy, but Chubb has told me that they will not, under any circumstance, rebuild a car that has been involved in any sort of roll over. The adjuster already told me that they have already shipped the car to a salvage yard, and they will be paying me for a complete loss--regardless of whether or not someone else determines if the car can be rebuilt.

For anyone interested in parts or the car itself, I'll update this thread with the info that the insurance company gives me.

<edit> The car is an '01 with around 29K miles. It was in outstanding shape, and I've never had any problems with it.

OP
OP
T

T.C.z.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
T.C.z,

Very glad to hear that both you and your passenger are okay (with the exception of a separated shoulder, Grade 1, 2 or 3), but very sorry to hear about your Viper. I'll bet there was a spill of something on the road that just took away your traction and it's really hard to recover these cars on the streets and highways. Is the turnpike concrete like here in NJ?

Regards,
Aaron

Yes, our turnpikes are concrete, but I haven't been out to inspect the area where I lost control. It would make sense that something was on the road though--I don't normally lose traction whatsoever in third gear.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dont be too ashamed..... many of us have come CLOSE if we drive em hard.

Old n Cold tires are the likely culprit, along with MISMATCHED TIRE PRESSURES.

The motions the car made were scrubbing off speed like crazy, sliding, etc...then to still be able to make THREE CARTWHEELS means you had a LOT of energy (speed) still left to achieve this.

I suspect you were just going into 3rd, at 2nd gear redline? No matter...just a guess. GLAD U R O K

Last edited:

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss. How long did you have the car. What were the conditions when you lost it? Temperature?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I SPEAK TO A LOT OF OWNERS who have wrecked their cars. The largest (phenominal) percentage begin their story with these words:

"I WAS GETTING ON THE EXPRESSWAY, GETTING ON THE GAS............"

The next most heard: "I WAS CHANGING LANES QUICKLY TO GO AROUND or AVOID _______"

If you know, How old are your tire date codes? Not just when you boght them, but you would be doing a SERVICE by discovering and posting the dates. At least thay are PS all around. The older your used tire, the harder it gets. (not necessarily so with unused new) By the time you have 6-7-8 year old "good tread" rubber, they are too hard to grip well. "Looks NICE but hard as ICE." Hockey Puck Hard rubber just cannot handle the torque and G-forces. And if one tire is 5-6-15 PSI softer, the soft sidewall flexes / squats and diverts the car in a squirrely and occilating direction. MONITOR YOUR TIRE PRESSURES ALL !!!!

Im glad you are relatively unhurt, and have no insurance woes. Please ask your insurance rep what you would have to pay for the salvage vehicle, then call me for a quote on buying your "Organ Donor" Viper. Thanks. JonB

Last edited:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crap!

Very sorry for your loss.:( I know the feeling. Looks like you just detailed it too.

Glad your safe and will ride again,:usa:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I SPEAK TO A LOT OF OWNERS who have wrecked their cars. The largest (phenominal) percentage begin their story with these words:

"I WAS GETTING ON THE EXPRESSWAY, GETTING ON THE GAS............"

The next most heard: "I WAS CHANGING LANES QUICKLY TO GO AROUND or AVOID _______"

If you know, How old are your tire date codes? Not just when you boght them, but you would be doing a SERVICE by discovering and posting the dates. At least thay are PS all around. The older your used tire, the harder it gets. (not necessarily so with unused new) By the time you have 6-7-8 year old "good tread" rubber, they are too hard to grip well. "Looks NICE but hard as ICE." Hockey Puck Hard rubber just cannot handle the torque and G-forces.

Im glad you are relatively unhurt, and have no insurance woes. Pleas ask your insurance rep what you would have to pay for the salvage vehicle, then call me for a quote on buying your "Organ Donor" Viper. Thanks. JonB

It's the torque these cars are putting out. Those 335 Pilots can only hold so much.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sorry to see your Viper in that state it just gives me the chills. Her construction was instrumental in saving your lives so she did her job well. I have to concur with JonB with respect to the handling traits of old tires. When I finally got my GTS, it had 16K on the original tires. They looked great, but they were a handfull on all types of surfaces. As soon as I got PS2's on there the car was transformed. Old hard rubber is great for its historical value, but no good on the road. Get another Viper and swap out those old meats if present.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since it's an 01, if they are the original tires, that is ultimately what did it. My hockeypucks are coming off this winter. I'm waiting for Jon B to do another winter tire sale.

Glad to hear you and the occupant survived.

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Happy to hear that you are both okay. Just reading your incident is a 'wake-up-call' for me. You can never be too carefull.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you know, How old are your tire date codes? Not just when you boght them, but you would be doing a SERVICE by discovering and posting the dates. At least thay are PS all around. The older your used tire, the harder it gets. (not necessarily so with unused new) By the time you have 6-7-8 year old "good tread" rubber, they are too hard to grip well. "Looks NICE but hard as ICE." Hockey Puck Hard rubber just cannot handle the torque and G-forces. And if one tire is 5-6-15 PSI softer, the soft sidewall flexes / squats and diverts the car in a squirrely and occilating direction. MONITOR YOUR TIRE PRESSURES ALL !!!!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but two sets of tires made on the same day can be considerably different in their drivability over 6-8 years depending on the environment they were exposed to... right?

Is there a test for hardness due to time/conditions, or do you just ditch in 6 years regardless?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...that's too bad TCz. I'm glad you're unhurt. Since nobody has asked yet, are you going to be getting into another Viper?

HUCKGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been working on Vipers for years and driven alot of them. I bought my first Viper a 2000 RT/10 612hp Hennessey and I was really working it to feel the horsepower and then in a split second everything gives and before you know it you crashed. This can happen to antone even the best of drivers sometimes lose it. But, I jumpped right back on the horse on purchased a 97 GTS and I love this one better. Good Luck