Shifter install easier from top or bottom?

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm installing a B&M shifter in my 97 GTS this weekend and I've read a bunch on here (search button keeps me from having to post much) but I see two ways of installing the shifter and want to know which is easiest? I hate jacking this car up, so if it can be done from the top I prefer that route. But, will I need to remove the whole console or just the trim piece by the shifter area? I understand there is a plate riveted in somewhere? Do I have to re-rivet it in again or can I use screws? I know how to do it from the bottom, just need some details on top side installation. Search button didn't turn up everything I need to know.

Thanks!

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Doing it from the top is much more involved. Drilling out rivets, drilling a hole so you can get to the lower bolts, etc etc...

You do it from the bottom by placing a good jack under the tranny, removing the trans brace and lowering it down a few inches so you can get to the bolts, etc. None of the drilling required when going from the bottom. There is an illustrated upgrade section with a full writeup, you can't get to it lately without being a VCA member though.

I have a bunch of pictures of what you will be getting into going from the top if you want em.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I was looking for that install link forever! I think I'll just go from the bottom, gotta do the skip shift anyway. It'll take me longer to get it on stands than it will to swap shifters!

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem.

My RT/10 has been on stands for over a month while I take forever performing all the mods while it is in the air.

So far I've done the exhaust and hi-flow cats, Hawk front pads, and detailed the suspension. Like yourself, I still have to do the B&M installation (and while under there, a poly tranny mount, too).

In boxes in the garage still awaiting me getting off my lazy ass:

Billet steering pump mount and metal pulley
JL Audio door speakers
1.7 rockers
SCT Tune

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96