Shifter popping out of gear??

wow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished driving the car 96 GTS and noticed that in 5th and 6th gear when accelerating it will sometime just pop into neutral. I have to hold the shifter (short throw) in place . Also I noticed that when i'm accelerating in the other gears (1-4) the shifter will move down, and on decelerating it moves forward?? ***

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well maybe the mount for the movement- as far as the juming out of gear,any way you slice it- it aint good-- better knock about 3 k right off the top of the price,and another 2k to boot for insurance, dont buy someone elses problem

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well maybe the mount for the movement- as far as the juming out of gear,any way you slice it- it aint good-- better knock about 3 k right off the top of the price,and another 2k to boot for insurance, dont buy someone elses problem

Bad mounts and possible bad synchro's. You could fix it for a $1,000, but, blusrt is right, the dealer is going to charge approx 2-3K.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as you are checking things also check the rubber around each door and door closure to make sure the hinges are not sagging, the rear air vents inside each side of the trunk area - if the rubber is deteriorated, they need to be replaced or exhaust fumes can get into the car under some driving conditions ( there is an old thread about this somewhere where The Wizzard explains how these vents work) , and the center console for any cracks - if you see a crease in the leather, there is a crack underneath it. Check the hood for any damage ( look carefully underneath) or misalignmnet. There are other things to check but the foregoing are sometimes missed. Good luck!

KegBus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just got done with this same issue on my gen2. My 6th gear would pop out and after about 100 miles my 5th did as well. On letting off the throttle, the gear shift would fly forward almost 2 inches. I stopped at a gas station after a 200 mile drive and the car would not go into any gear. I am now the proud owner of a new transmission from Rockland to the tune of around 3 grand. You could also rebuild your T56 for around 1000.00 instead of buying a new one. But hey, on the bright side i got to do a new clutch/flywheel/shifter while i was in there ;-) If the car is showing these signs beware.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
who makes some built trannys for a reasonable price?

KegBus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought an upgraded T56 from Rockland Standard for my gen2. triple cone / double synchro, supposedly good to 1200 HP. Around 3k. It's being installed now, should have the car back by end of week and will report back.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
who makes some built trannys for a reasonable price?

A good search should yield some places. Check with JohnB, Woodhouse, even Tator's. There are plenty of take-outs out there and you can even get a better deal on a newer T56 or the latest T6060.

:usa:

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you are using an aftermarket short throw shifter, it is very likely that the stops built into the shifter are not set correctly. I have seen this many times and would recommend going back to the stock shifter. There are adjustments for all of the gates and can inhibit the gears from fully engaging. If you are handy at mechanical work, it's not that difficult to take the shifter out and try different settings for the stops. I have a write-up if interested for removing the shifter. It requires removing the rear trany mount, but that is all that is needed to get to the top of the trany while under the car.
Jerry

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just got done with this same issue on my gen2. My 6th gear would pop out and after about 100 miles my 5th did as well. On letting off the throttle, the gear shift would fly forward almost 2 inches. I stopped at a gas station after a 200 mile drive and the car would not go into any gear. I am now the proud owner of a new transmission from Rockland to the tune of around 3 grand. You could also rebuild your T56 for around 1000.00 instead of buying a new one. But hey, on the bright side i got to do a new clutch/flywheel/shifter while i was in there ;-) If the car is showing these signs beware.

How many miles did you have when this happened?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang