Shipping UPS..Why do I even try??? GET THIS!

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You think I would have learned my lesson shipping with UPS after my last experience with them not paying my claim, but like everyone else. UPS is the EASY choice!
I sold my Viper Quarter Panel on Ebay, Boxed it up, and took it to UPS to ship with $400.00 insurance. I charged the seller $30 to ship since I knew it would be a big box. Seemed fair. UPS tells me it is going to be $120.00 to ship it ground service. It weighed 16 lbs. They said due to the length of the box (65") they would have to charge me the same rate as if I were shipping a 90 lb. BOX! I of course said FORGET IT!
My dad recently had a 3rd Row Suburban seat shipped to him for $80 via DHL in a box that was just as big and certainly more heavy, and it arrived in PERFECT condition with NO packaging or cushioning inside the box. So they must be worth a try right? So I take the extra time to look up the closest DHL counter and take the box to them.

Price? $15.06 with tracking and $400 insurance.

I think that says it all!

(since I shipped a Viper Quarter Panel this IS a Viper related post!) ;)

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have had problems with UPS recently. I have good access to FEDEX Ground and have had great luck with reasonable rates and quicker ship times than UPS.

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPS BLOWS!!! And there UPS store BLOWS even more!!
Use DHL, R&L or FedEx.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In defense of UPS I know why their pricing is so much higher. I worked for them while in school (they paid pretty well). Their system is setup for “standard” size boxes. So when you come up with an odd ball size box, they charge a fortune because it must be hand carried through the sorting system. The conveyor belts can’t handle it.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

Between that & your rear window incident, seems like you better stay away from UPS! :eek:

I've had bad experiences with UPS & DHL as well.

FED EX though.., they are simply amazing :headbang:

OP
OP
chickenwarrior

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In defense of UPS I know why their pricing is so much higher. I worked for them while in school (they paid pretty well). Their system is setup for “standard” size boxes. So when you come up with an odd ball size box, they charge a fortune because it must be hand carried through the sorting system. The conveyor belts can’t handle it.

"Pricing so High"? I live in Louisville home the biggest UPS Hub and the 3rd largest Cargo Hub in the world, and there was just an article in the paper about how UPS Pilots are some of the best paid and have one of the most desirable pilot jobs. The article went on about "passenger" pilot jobs are no longer considered the most prestigious and how thousands of passenger pilots with years of experience were taking pay cuts to start as an entry level pilot with UPS.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I shiped 4 rims, had them boxed @ kinkos for 36$ weight was 16 lbs a piece, that price included the box

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a member ship me rims/tires. The yquoted him a price over the phone, he had exact measurements and weight. After getting there, filling out all the stuff, unloading them, taking them to back, and being pressed for time, they charges him 3x the quote. Never had a good reason. He was screwed with other obligations so he paid.

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had UPS blow it on more than one ocassion, too. The one that really peeved me was the outright lying when delivery got to be pressed for time. They recorded "no one home" when we were home all day. We live in a rural area so it is obvious when someone goes down your road and especially driveway. I've gotten at least 4 refunds for shipping when vendors failed to timely deliver promised goods because of UPS. It's ashame when some vendors only use UPS.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I order lots of things on line. The UPS guy knows me. The guy next door orders just as much as I do.
We live in a corner of a rural county in Maryland.

Often, the UPS guy brings two packages at a time or one for me and one for the neighbor.

I believe that when the UPS guy sees a package for me or the neighbor, he probably holds it till the next day, in hope that another one will show up in his load for the next day.
That way he only makes one trip.

I've no way to prove this. It just seems strange that more often than not, there are multiple items delivered.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FED EX though.., they are simply amazing

Well, If you think heads getting shipped around for a week, lost, then damaged on an overnight shipment.....I guess fed-ex is ok :shocked: Any of them can screw up......I might try DHL next time.

Mike Red 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife is always looking for places to cut cost, last month she reviewed 6 months of shipping records from UPS and priced them out as if she was sending them thru DHL & Federal Express. In the end she would have saved $700.00 if she had shipped through DHL and $500.00 through Federal Express. She immediately stopped using UPS and switched to DHL and has not had any problems at all. To her this was a no brainer!

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use UPS daily for the business. I did learn the hard way to check pricing first when in doubt. I sent a 6 pound package, 12" x 18" x 3" thick to Australia. The driver told me it would be expensive so I think 30-40 bucks outside. Got the bill for $325.00. Should have purchased a first class ticket for it!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96