Shopping for an RT/10. Have questions...

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all. I've dreamt of owning a Viper and after owning 6 Mustangs, it's time to step up! I'm getting either an 01' or 02' RT/10.

1. I hear the car gets very hot in it while driving even with the A/C on. True/False? I live in Florida and 95 degree days is already not fun. If it does get hot, what do you guys do to help?

2. Are their any factory recall issues with these years?

3. Will my tour size golf bag fit in the trunk? :)

4. Are there any accessories the car comes with from the factory that the seller might not have? Ex: Car comes with soft top and can order hard top with stand, right?

5. Can you recommed any Viper specific questions I should ask the seller?

Thanks guys!

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for 01 I believe the only option was the hardtop....can't recall anything else being available unless you count the cognac interior.

Hot inside....yeah it will be hot especially after the car sits out side in the heat and you get in and hit the leather seats. It will take a while to cool off, but isn't that the case with most any car in that situation. Nothing real different in the Vipers case and my a/c works just fine.

don't play golf, but with the spare out it should....dunno.

John

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same as J Dawg said. The A/C works fine and blows ice cold. It may take time to cool down the interior. I don't believe there were factory recalls for those years.
Best thing to do is test drive one, you will not be disappointed. Once you own this car you will find yourself asking "I don't know what I would upgrade to after this".
Performance potential and reliability on a viper blows everything else away. Things to check for: Check the way the hood aligns with the front facia. Check rear quarter panel alignment. Gaps and spaces should be even. If not maybe the car was hit at one time. Get service records and check mileage to make sure mileage was not turned back and service was done regularly. Check brake fluid, shouldn't be dark. If dark then car may have been raced. Drive the car and feel how tranny shifts and notice if there is any loud clunking or whine comming from the rear. Test drive car and check temp gauge. Car shouldn't run hotter than 240 on a really hot day.

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just spent the last 6 months looking at Vipers (bought an 01 RT).
Generally speaking check the wheels for rash (this was more common than I thought it would be) and always be specific about the drivers seat. The side bolsters often take a beating. I saw multiple low mile cars with torn-up drivers seats.

Golf clubs will fit in the trunk, but, "tour size"... I dont know what that is as I dont golf myself.

When I began looking at and driving Vipers I was struck by the presence of heat in the cockpit. This seems to be cured by aftermarket exhaust (catback etc). My RT has side-exit and no heat issues.

Kurt

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check brake fluid, shouldn't be dark. If dark then car may have been raced.

I agree with the other stuff you said. However, brake fluid will turn dark over time and doesn't necessarily mean the car has been raced. Besides, most racers will totally change the fluid after every event. The best way is to look at the lettering on the front calipers. Normally it is snow white. If the car has been raced the lettering will turn golden or tan colored.

Plus, just because a car has been to the track once or ten times doesn't mean its not been maintained. Most racers maintain their vehicle to the highest standards. Its the garage queens I'd be most afraid of.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the top off, you won't notice the heat. With the top on, if it's over 85, you might want the AC on.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. My A/C works great. Run it all the time, top off or on. Tampa is hot too.

2. Water impeller may need replacing. Recall or warranty.

3. Get a SUV.

4. Don't waste your money buying the top stand. Build your own out of PVC or heavy duty wall hooks. Have a sail shop build you a cover for the top.

5. Doug Levin Motorsports is in your area. Check with him.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will want hi flow cats, that will cool down the side sills tremendously, until then watch your calves when exiting. I live in hot & humid Houston & I love my 02 RT!

Andy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4