Should I keep it stock?

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96' B/W GTS with 6800 miles. The car is almost flawless. It has the original tires and looks great. My question is will doing some upgrades such as exhaust, headers, throttle bodies, intake and shifter take away from the value of my car? It doesn't even have the recalls done on it, such as the frame and window seal. It did have the O2 sensor recall done. I am thinking of preserving it with low miles. So hypothetically if it were 10 years down the road and at a Barrett-Jackson auction would it be worth even more if it were totally stock without the recalls even done on it? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see no reason to not do the recalls. 10 years from now you won't be able to do them if you wanted to.

Beyond that, I believe you can keep the resale value up with moderate use anyway. It's not a ****** with 6,800 miles..... Would a Hemi Cuda be worth less today if it had 26,800 miles versus 6,800? 68 original miles would be another matter.

Also, as long as you keep the original parts and have the ability to return to 100% stock, basic mods should be no problem. Store the original tires for show only use if you like for that extra bit of originality.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't go crazy modding a ten-year-old eventual classic.

But I wouldn't leave it sitting around preserving it as an investment either.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And if you are going to actually drive it, change those rocks you are driving around on to some decent new rubber. Those are nine years old.

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I say Drive it like its a lease!

if you bought it for an investment, wash it throw a cover on it and leave it alone.....me, i bought my viper because i enjoy driving it, im not really conerned with what it wil lbe worth 20 years from now.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like my Viper(or any other make) to be all Viper. Not some Viper and some aftermarket parts.
Its a fact that mods reduce resale value, except for insurance settlements.
However I do have a soft spot for "cafe racers", if they're done right.

HOGGG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mods,Mods,and more Mods. Enjoy the car. Remember it's not an investment. The V-10 will be crying under the cover. :confused:

Hogg :usa:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it like you stole it. Trust me, the car will love you for it.

Invest in Exxon Mobil, 10 year from now those stock will be worth more than the car. Plus, every time you stump on it, you'll be contributing the the stock's gain :)

OP
OP
S

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think that you have really opened my eyes. Everyone has some very valid poiints. I think that I will do the mods that can be returned to stock. Andrew I can't agree more, I bought ( Valero ) at 45.00 last year and it is doing great. I think that I will just drive the tires off of it instead, new tires that is. Oh yeah, I will also go ahead and do the recalls. Who would you reccomend in the Dallas area? Thanks again guys for the enlightenment. I almost feel like a Milwaukee beer should fall on my head.
Martin

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see no reason to not do the recalls. 10 years from now you won't be able to do them if you wanted to.

Beyond that, I believe you can keep the resale value up with moderate use anyway. It's not a ****** with 6,800 miles..... Would a Hemi Cuda be worth less today if it had 26,800 miles versus 6,800? 68 original miles would be another matter.

Also, as long as you keep the original parts and have the ability to return to 100% stock, basic mods should be no problem. Store the original tires for show only use if you like for that extra bit of originality.

Yeah, what he said....

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't drive it with those old tires. Save them if you like. They might be part of the "pure stock" picture some day.

The important thing is that you get some new tires that will give you some traction.
You have no idea what a difference it will make.

Actually, those hard old tires might even be considered dangerous. Vipers get away from guys all the time. Old tires put you much closer to being one of those guys.

Keep it stock?
Well, talk to some of the Vette guys about that. It is a big deal to have every little thing as pure stock as the day it was driven home.
Don't ever throw away anything that comes off of the car.
Mods? Isn't it fast enough as it is? Are you going to race it?
Can you use the power it has now?

Drive it?
Of course, drive it all you want. As someone else pointed out, if it becomes a valuable classic, it wont matter if it has 50k miles on it.
Well, it wont matter much.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
update and mod everything,you might be dead in ten years!It'll never be a original cobra $$$ cow.That year loves mods.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say that the majority of folks looking for a used Viper want a ****** snake.....there are only a select few that would look at or buy a modded car.

Years down the road....10-20.....people will ONLY want a STOCK Viper. At Barrett Jackson, that's what brings the big bucks.

Now, do what YOU want to do, and KEEP all of your STOCK parts!

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21