Side splitters from PartsRack!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimandela:
why side splitters?
Is it a performance mod or just for looks?
thanks
jim

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif
Tony, do you want to answer this one or should I???

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be bad mouthing polishing the cross member! I'm sure it gained me at least as much as I got from painting the hood liner logo, and don't even get me started on my MGW knobs, viperhead valve steam caps and viper logo floor mats
smile.gif

Tony, post some pics when you get them painted and in place.

--- Ken

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW,

In the USA you have a different light weight metal to us in Europe!

Rumour is with the GTS unless you have all the mods (dive planes, front splitter and rear spolier then the car might be confused and become either light at the front or at the rear.

Any comments

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
And furthermore.........

It also PREVENTS air from spilling up from underneath a smoothe, rounded sidesill, where it thsn climbs the rear of the door and quarter panel, and enters the rear wheelwell........creating lift AND drag !

More Downforce
Less Drag

Bonus #1...these 'anklebiters' keep your passengers (and YOU( from kicking the sidesills when entering or exiting.

Bonus #2...they act as gravel/sand splashguards, preventing the sills themselves from getting sandblasted by F tires over time...

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony-
They are working on Seattle Raceway to the tune of $25 Million.
I'll want to see those side splitters work...
if you are here in time!!

Hey Jon... How much for those flat aluminum pieces?

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Fisher had them on his GTS for years and loved them, and so did I but you need the front splitter to make the look.

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good heaven's, my name's still being tossed around on this august board? Wayne failed to mention he bolted my old splitters on his second Viper after I stuffed my car. Old Viper's never die, they just go into to the donor program. Now he's got a new Viper and on this one I think he lifted my stripes...

I love the look of the side splitters and Jon's right, even on a street car they greatly reduce chipping from rocks coming off the tires. Delighted to hear that Parts Rack is a supplier. If you are ever on a freshly paved track where the rocks are coming a tad quicker (anyone recall Cabaniss Field in the fall of '98 where passing your first open wheeler cost about $4k in glass and paint?) you are saving money with these pups.

Back in the dark ages I resorted to rivets to get them to stay on, the screws never held and the heads would always wear off (my car was lowered a few inches, you could feel the paint down the center of the road when you changed lanes...). The rivets were good to 170+ (3:45 rear end so that was top speed). I used a row at the inward edge and one further out on the raised portions of the sill so that it was not stressed linearly.

Word of experience. Give curbs an even wider bearth than you do now. I tagged my splitters numerous times till I got the distance correct. You can miss your wheels and still catch them unless you are careful. A split strip of latex along the outside edge as an edge guard can save some sanding down the road. ALSO: make sure to put an indicator of your jack points on the splitter where you can see them. I used tape arrows when at the track to indicate the proper position for the jack since it is tough to visually locate the correct position on a lowered car with sills, or even just sills. It is an article of faith that the time you'll need to jack your car will be the time you don't have time to be jacking around looking for the jack points if you know what I mean.

Coolest paint job on splitters I ever saw was Tony Wendling's setup in Vegas at VOI5. No paint, just yellow and black warning tape running the length of the slitter. Totally bad@ss...

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, that black really looks great on your car! Those are my bare metal splitters on the blue GTS you have posted. Since then I have moved both sides inboard 1" and I painted and cleared them in the same Viper Blue body color. If your going to bring them in, you do need to notch out the splitter at the jacking point on the rear of each piece. I also reinforced the attachment to the bottom with 4 SS 1/4" bolts as I was concerned about the stability at high speed.

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony-

The side splitters look great! Have you noticed any difference in driving on the street?

And your avatar pic kicks @SS!!!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I am going to do the unthinkable: Question the splitters as they were installed on both Tony's and Richard's car. When I first saw Tony's pictures when he got them, I couldn't help but think they were "backwards". Installed on Richard's car - same impression. With the pictures of the Oreca cars now posted, I REALLY think they were either cut or installed in reverse!

Here is why: Look at the outside lines of the new splitters. The "swooping bulge" is at the front, whereas the muffler bulge on the car itself is obviously towards the back. Look closely at Richard's splitters: They are wider in the front where the car is actually more narrow. Even the "indent" is at the wrong place on the splitters - UNLESS YOU REVERSE THEM! If you picture the exact same splitter reversed (sorry, no Photoshop here at work) you will see that it is set up in the opposite direction.

Now, I thought it was just me and that my concept of design was overuled by function. Yet on the Oreca cars the side splitters follow the body lines PERFECTLY. Look at the actual splitters on the Oreca cars and then look at these new splitters - THEY ARE REVERSED!

Hey, I could be completely off base, but I don't think so. Take Tony's first picture and flip that piece end-over-end so the back now faces the front. I don't know how the mounting holes match up, but it sure looks like it would match up with the body lines perfectly. Hope I am wrong, but am pretty sure I am not...

Love to know for sure!

Chris

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2KGTS,
Interesting observation. I looked around and I can find pictures with them both ways. Here is one that appears to be mounted similar to Vipermad's:
You must be registered for see images

Perhaps there are different shapes depending on the mfr?

--- Ken

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having the splitters painted (black) and installed right now on my 97 Blue/White GTS so this thread is of great interest to me. Look closely at the ORECA cars and the side splitter clearly indents inward toward the rear of its length - - same as Tony's. The white car in Ken H's post really does not. Is this good or bad ? I couldn't tell you. I have to think that a wider splitter just acts more effectively until you reach a certain "drag" level.

I am curious to hear Jon B's thoughts.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vipermad:
No go Chris! I simply took the driver side splitter off and flipped it over. These particular splitters shown in my photos are on correctly, though I <u>DO</u> see your point.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, thanks for taking a look to satisfy my humble curiosity. Now, if you still have that splitter off, ignore the mounting holes and all of the "invisible" (out of sight) edges. Reverse that piece and hold it up to the underside of the car and see if the lines don't match perfectly or very, very close to it. I don't have my protractor handy, but it sure looks like it would. I still think they may have "reversed" the design by accident. I use my home carpeting as an example: We gave the carpet company an exact template for an odd-shaped landing at the bottom of the stairs (kind of a rounded scalene triangle). When we got this piece back it was perfect - and upside-down. The result is that it fits exacty right if you keep the carpeted side down with the mat on top. Flip it over and it fits wrong but the carpet is right side up. Oh, and it was the last they had of that carpeting, so we are stuck with it to this day...

As to Ken's example, it looks like a completely different splitter: There doesn't appear to be any "curves" one way or another. It looks like it may be the same on the GT2's, as they appear to be largely "flat" across the length of the car. Interesting indeed!

Thanks again for looking and taking the time to compare...

Chris

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RockyTop:
Look closely at the ORECA cars and the side splitter clearly indents inward toward the rear of its length - - same as Tony's. The white car in Ken H's post really does not. Is this good or bad ? I couldn't tell you. I have to think that a wider splitter just acts more effectively until you reach a certain "drag" level.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congrats on the splitters! I do think it enhances the look and certainly envy you guys that are getting these done. Still, I am very confused by the way these are cut (and eager to hear from JonB after Iditarod).

Now, let's first look at the #92 Oreca car. See how the splitter first "indents" towards the front (under the "Mobile" logo)? It then goes wide and is at its very widest by the rear "mufflers" (doubt the Oreca car has any). It then trails off and goes back in before coming to an end before the rear wheel wells. Now, look at Richard's beautiful blue GTS in the first post: It is the exact opposite - indents towards the back (appears to be the same length from the back end as the Oreca indent is from the front end) and is at its very widest in the front before trailing off before the front wheel well.

Like I said, it is undoubtedly my sense of design over function and I am sure I am wrong. I still can't help but wonder how they could be so perfectly opposite...

Chris

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OH THATS JUST GREAT!!!

Way to go Chris, all that work I did last Summer... smoothing, surface preping, painting, relocating them further inboard and your telling me now I may have them on backwards... PERFECT!

Actually I did question the orientation when I first installed them, but like Tony said there's only one way they fit. Also Jon B advised they were cut exactly based on the design of the ORECA or GTSR cars, can't remember which, right Jon...Jon? ahhh that is right isn't it Jon? Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking with it. Tony I took a couple pics and forwarded to you if you would be kind enough to post as yet another example of the right/wrong(?) way to istall. Rocky Top... love to see the way that black looks on your blue and white.

Well off to the garage to question the alignment of that chin splitter...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard K:
Way to go Chris, all that work I did last Summer... smoothing, surface preping, painting, relocating them further inboard and your telling me now I may have them on backwards... PERFECT!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geez, it looks like I will be buying a LOT of beers in Nashville! Just wait until JonB sees this post - then I am really in deep doo-doo. Especially if it turns out they were cut wrong and he has to exchange them all.
laugh.gif

Seriously, they all look great and I won't say another word. I will go find a GT2 later tomorrow and get some good closeup photos of the splitters - regardless of how they are mounted. I will post them here just for you!

Chris

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

I have watched this thread with much interest as I ordered a set of side splitters from JonB...painted them '01 yellow and then spent one day with TWO engineers and ONE Vipertech trying to figure out how they mount and why they looked "strange" from a design standpoint. As Tony stated...they look great in some cases but I was initially under the impression that they carried a straight edge along the sills of the car. We switched sides...flipped them over...and even kept Jon on the phone while we kept trying to make them look "almost" oem. Unfortunately we could never get them to look as I wanted them to and ended up sending them back to Jon(which he took back even after I had them painted).
Jon tried...I tried...and it just did not work right for me.
I know that TNT in Houston carries them and I have been tempted to call them to ask them how theirs is edged.

Clark Stegall

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again, thank you a TON for indulging our curiosity (OK, mine). I promise to buy you the first couple rounds at VOI 7, no matter how your splitters are mounted! The car is stunning regardless and the splitters do enhance the look. I just couldn't keep my mouth shut on the way the lines looked. You have satisfied my curiosity and they do appear to "flow" with the body contour as I thought they would when reversed. Now if you could figure out a way to permanently mount those Coke bottles, you would REALLY be styling!!
laugh.gif

Thanks again for indulging this foolish old man (40 in October).

Chris

Dan Vargus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The side splitter design may have been changed so that manfacturer wouldn't run into a problem with Daimler's part. The GT2s side splitters are black and follow the same lines as the side sills. The GT2 side sills are also aluminum.

Dan Vargus GT2-001

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the referal Tony. In your soon to become famous "coke bottle" pictures. I prefer the picture on the right. Which side
picture is your original install ? Already put the call in to Jon B. Also does he have the front splitter also ?

Thanks,