Sills coming unscrewed

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was putting a coat of Zaino on after a short ride. While doing the underside of the sills, I felt that one of the 5/16 screws was loose. Got my trusty socket wrench out and it turned and turned. Would not get tight. After checking the others...I had 4 that would turn, but not get tight. Do I just need to get larger screws? Is there a nut of some kind supposed to be on the inside in order to tighten? Some hep please! Anyone else have this problem? You'd better check cause I don't know how long these have been loose.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a fix someone posted that looked real nice and permanant. My fix was to use a piece of 3/16" or 1/8" aluminum tig welding rod. Stick the rod in the hole and put the screw in without over tightening then cut or break the rod off.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The good news is that if they fall out you won't loose them. Your rear tire will pick them up and hold them for a while.....

(A little dab of silicone seal might prevent them from vibrating out also)

OP
OP

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Marv, that detailed thread is a little more in depth than I was planning, but thanks. I guess now I need to go home and check the screws on top of the sill also. Hopefully the bottom ones are the only ones in need of repair. I'm guessing that if I just use #10s without the rivet nuts...they'll probably fall out eventually also. Anybody tried this?

OP
OP

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The good news is that if they fall out you won't loose them. Your rear tire will pick them up and hold them for a while.....

(A little dab of silicone seal might prevent them from vibrating out also)
That's what I'm affraid of... :(

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eventually I'll probably have to go with the rivet method posted. Until then I just use a bigger screw. I also "NASCAR" (duct tape) the lower panel to keep from losing the screws and prevent the sill from acting like a shovel when I go off into the kitty litter.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used high temp low strength silicone and tightened them like a baby to avoid stripping.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Eventually I'll probably have to go with the rivet method posted. Until then I just use a bigger screw. I also "NASCAR" (duct tape) the lower panel to keep from losing the screws and prevent the sill from acting like a shovel when I go off into the kitty litter.

Kitty litter :eek:
That's funny, your suppose to stay out of that **** Chuck!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sadly the sill screws aren't the only ones that will loosen and disappear. Check the front and rear fascia screws too. I just lost one of those...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang