Simple detail question on new 05 SRT

Reaction score
I just got the car last Thursday. It had a production date of late December.
The paint should be pretty well set. The car is "spotlessly" clean now.

What should I do next, if anything, polish, wax, etc. to protect the paint?

BTW-I have the 3M Clearbra going on the car either this Friday or on Monday(Waiting for call back).

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I clay barred my '01 before going through the Zaino process. I didnt think the clay bar would do much since the car only had a few hundred miles at the time I got it but its a night and day difference as far as clarity in the paint.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would first evaluate your paint to see if it needs claybarring, put your hand in a sandwich bag (baggie) and run your hand over the paint (clean surface), if you feel grit I would then clay it. If not proceed to step 2, polishing.
It is a new car so my guess is it will not need any polishing (probably will if you clay bar it). If it does I recommend a Porter Cable polisher, some foam pads from www.properautocare.com and some good swirl removers like Menzerna IP and FPII or Poorboys 2.5 and 1 or if you don't want to have to order mailorder stuff pick up some 3m 39002 and ssr 39009. Go over it with one (or both, depending on how bad the swirls are) of the product I mentioned above with your PC speed set at about 4.5.
After the paint finish is where you want it wash with Dawn dishwasher soap (You only do this once to remove any wax or oils left by polishing or the dealer prep), or if you are uncomfortable using dish soap on your car wipe it down with 50/50 alchohol and water or Prep-Sol and now you are ready for Zaino (or a wax/sealant of your choice).
I highly reccomend Zaino Z2 Pro and I would follow that up with a Z8 spritz for that super deep wet look.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any of the products/tools mentioned above.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would first evaluate your paint to see if it needs claybarring, put your hand in a sandwich bag (baggie) and run your hand over the paint (clean surface), if you feel grit I would then clay it. If not proceed to step 2, polishing.
It is a new car so my guess is it will not need any polishing (probably will if you clay bar it). If it does I recommend a Porter Cable polisher, some foam pads from www.properautocare.com and some good swirl removers like Menzerna IP and FPII or Poorboys 2.5 and 1 or if you don't want to have to order mailorder stuff pick up some 3m 39002 and ssr 39009. Go over it with one (or both, depending on how bad the swirls are) of the product I mentioned above with your PC speed set at about 4.5.
After the paint finish is where you want it wash with Dawn dishwasher soap (You only do this once to remove any wax or oils left by polishing or the dealer prep), or if you are uncomfortable using dish soap on your car wipe it down with 50/50 alchohol and water or Prep-Sol and now you are ready for Zaino (or a wax/sealant of your choice).
I highly reccomend Zaino Z2 Pro and I would follow that up with a Z8 spritz for that super deep wet look.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any of the products/tools mentioned above.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Griots Garage has a really good and user friendly polishing system along with clay bar, car wash, etc. I'd check them out. The other night at the drags when my rear end broke, again, the comment I got from the guys who towed my black SRT-10 - professional tow truck drivers - was how good the paint looked, no swirl marks, no orange peel, great shine, etc. This car has 15,000 + miles on it. I credit Griots products for this.

You are taking the right first step, clear bra, now clean and protect the rest of the car.

Good luck,

Dan

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Griots Machine Polish 1, 2, and 3 and was not real thrilled with them. I found Menzerna and Poorboys ro work much better.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a corollary question.

I (Zaino) clay barred my Mamba when it arrived with four miles on it.

I have arguably polished it now eleventy-seven times since then. It now has 6 miles on it.

Seriously, how often do people (in general) clay bar the finish. Yes, I can feel the grit, and is this the (only/best) way to determine if it is needed, and with what frequency do most clay bar their finish?

(Anecdotally: In 1993, I had a new Mercedes S-class sedan. I was washing it for the first time and noted that my 2 year old daughter was helping. She was washing a quarter panel with rock...a sharp rock. If you are not a parent, the focus would be the car. If you are a parent, you focus upon the memory. She's now 14, and people still remind her of "the time when you took a rock and....")

Alice & The Viper Blog

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
The last time I used clay, I was playing baseball in Georgia, and I still can't get the stains out.

I have never clayed a car in my life nor used a PC.
My cars have always been garaged, washed often, properly maintained, never polished, always waxed.

And before this forum, I thought Zaino was a drain cleaner.

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So that's how you wash a black car!!! Damn, no wonder my car is so dirty. You need the right equipment to do the job correctly.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a corollary question.

I (Zaino) clay barred my Mamba when it arrived with four miles on it.

I have arguably polished it now eleventy-seven times since then. It now has 6 miles on it.

Seriously, how often do people (in general) clay bar the finish. Yes, I can feel the grit, and is this the (only/best) way to determine if it is needed, and with what frequency do most clay bar their finish?

(Anecdotally: In 1993, I had a new Mercedes S-class sedan. I was washing it for the first time and noted that my 2 year old daughter was helping. She was washing a quarter panel with rock...a sharp rock. If you are not a parent, the focus would be the car. If you are a parent, you focus upon the memory. She's now 14, and people still remind her of "the time when you took a rock and....")

Alice & The Viper Blog

Your car has 6 miles on it? Have you even driven it???