Single Greatest (dumbest) Viper question EVER

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was in FL a couple weeks ago with the FL VCA, we stopped at a little tiki bar type place to eat. After eating, I wondered out to the parking lot and there was a guy probably in his late 30's looking at the cars. He asked me if one of the cars was mine so I pointed mine out. He then asks me.........................

Who makes Vipers? Corvette?

I was sure I misunderstood him so I asked him to repeat the question. Nope, I heard exactly what he asked. I said "Nope, Dodge does". He then says "oh ok, I thought Corvette made them". He then told me to have a good time and walked off.

:dunno::dunno::dunno::lmao::lmao::lmao:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should have responded; "Yep, corvette makes the Viper!" Here's your sign....................................:D

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obvious you should have answered: nobody does...they're not made any more...followed by: what is a corvette?

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something to remember, not everyone is "car people". To many a car is to provide transportation from one point to another. Our cars are remark worthy just by their appearance and to even those "non car people" our cars stand out and are attractive. The Corvette has been around since the early fifties! Many of the general public only knows Corvette as a performance car.

Can many of you identify a brand of boat at a glance? How 'bout motorcycles? Motorhomes?

I don't want my car to identified as a Corvette either, but I still appreciate the intended "compliment".

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something to remember, not everyone is "car people". To many a car is to provide transportation from one point to another. Our cars are remark worthy just by their appearance and to even those "non car people" our cars stand out and are attractive. The Corvette has been around since the early fifties! Many of the general public only knows Corvette as a performance car.

Can many of you identify a brand of boat at a glance? How 'bout motorcycles? Motorhomes?

I don't want my car to identified as a Corvette either, but I still appreciate the intended "compliment".

The boat thing used to kill me as well. When I had my Fountain and people saw it (or heard it), they would say "Oh you have cigarette (or cigar) boat". That's the only term they knew for a performance boat.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The boat thing used to kill me as well. When I had my Fountain and people saw it (or heard it), they would say "Oh you have cigarette (or cigar) boat". That's the only term they knew for a performance boat.

Especially saying that about a Fountain, that’s the most distinctive performance boat made.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A little different as 'Cigarette boats' was a general term for high performance speed boats for a very long time, and still is for some people. So in a way they are right calling it that.

........and being mistaken for one of the absolutely finest and most exclusive boats in production, an actual Cigarette...well you can do a lot worse than that. I would take it as a compliment.

I think that most anybody that takes a moment and comments on our machines, be a boat, car or bike, is really trying to let you know they like it....even if they are clueless to what it is they are actually looking at.

Matt

Last edited:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned a puke green Dart (made by Dodge back in the day...) a few years ago (or was it a decade or two..).

People still don't get that Dodge makes cool cars.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know, I still like this one.....

"That thing fuel injected?"

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe he thought your car was a Vette because its red and is slower. :D

Thats almost funny ;)

I don't know, I still like this one.....

"That thing fuel injected?"

Thats my 2nd favorite question. Why am I always around when these questions are asked? :omg:

Well spoken!:rolaugh:

When I first read the title I thought "Gee, what did I ask this time?"!:D

You probably have the FUNNIEST Viper line ever:

"I want a yellow Viper when I grow up" :rolaugh:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reply ready if that ever happens to me... With a very serious look:

"Well actually, Corvette is a division of Viper. When a Viper fails inspection they chop off the back end (kind of like when they put an X on a bad golf ball) and put Corvette badging on it."

Or the short version: "A Corvette is an X-out Viper"

Oh, that wasn't that good... I'll think of something later after I have a cool one...

"Actually, a Corvette is a "generic" version of the Viper."

No, that doesn't quite do it... Good night!

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to a doge dealership to look for a car for my daughter once and the salesman asked me "does it have a corvette motor in it"! This was at the dealership!!!

But I have to disagree, the absolute dumbest question that is asked all the time is when someone sees you washing your car or filling it up with gas and they will ask. "Is that car yours?" I usuall just say, in an english accent, "No, I'm just the butler". What the hell do they think, I'm washing somebody else's car? :dunno:

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Funny thread :)

Over here, where Vipers are practically nonexistent, I get the following practically every time I drive the car:
1. "What the heck is that?"
2. "Who made that car?"
3. "Is it a corvette?"
4. "Is it a Ferrari?"

I've had this 5-6 times too:

"Is it the bat-mobile?" :D

When you Answer "Dodge", people still have no clue, so I just say "Viper made it"

I guess the fact that it's completely de-badged only confuses people more... It's quite funny to see them circling around the car looking for a clue. Kids are the only ones that notice it says Viper on the brakes.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate the batmobile comment,any car that is black is... "Oh it is like the batmobile". Tell them you are Bruce Wayne next time.

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Considered having a vanity plate made that says.
WEL DUH,, Just for these times. Is it fast? ..... Will it do a burn out?.... Can I drive it?..... etc.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a guy outside of a new gym I started going to tell me a long story about his mods and the history of his car last year...the car he was talking about was actually my car. He went back inside and I drove off, I still wonder what went through his mind when he saw me drive away...