Sirius Radio in 2006 SRT10 questions again.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok I have been trying to either put a ipod adapter or sirius xm in my 06 with an RBQ head unit. The mopar unit for the ipod did not wrk correctly and freaked out my dash lights and gauges. So I pulled that out. Currently I am trying to put in a Sirius radio mopar part # 82208881aa and I have the instal kit part number 82207925. I guess I'm missing something since I can't plug in the sirius radio without unplugging a harness from the back of the head unit. Then that harness has no place to plug in. I must have the wrong cables here. I know there have been other post on here. However I have not found one that clearly addresses all the problems. I guess my questions are 1. Does this work on an RBQ? or does it need to be an RB1? 2. what is needed to get this to work on this head unit. So tired of screwing with this, long road trip coming up and I would like to get it figured out.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Chuck Tator if you don't get an answer here. I know he knows how to do that in an 06 as he called my dealer and helped them through it back in 06. His contact information is in the vendors section.

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call Chuck Tator if you don't get an answer here. I know he knows how to do that in an 06 as he called my dealer and helped them through it back in 06. His contact information is in the vendors section.
I called Chuck and he said he could not help me and directed me to Dan Lessor at VPS. Have not heard back from him but wanted to see what I could find out from the masses.

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are the images of what I have and you can see the plug in question that would come from the Sat radio. However the harness has the same plug into the radio.
You must be registered for see images attach

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that far left plug in is for CD changer... maybe just pull that one out, plug in the satellite.... and try it to see if it works?

Thanks.

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the rbq head unit which is the 6 disc inside the head unit. No external changer. I did try connecting it that way and had no response? The stereo works without that plug but the sat unit does not respond when connected?

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the rbq head unit which is the 6 disc inside the head unit. No external changer. I did try connecting it that way and had no response? The stereo works without that plug but the sat unit does not respond when connected?

By the sounds of things, there should be a socket on your sirius module that will fit the plug from the car harness that normally goes to the head unit. then the sirius module should come with a harness that connects from the sirius module to the head unit. So in simple terms, your sirius module will be inline between your car harness and head unit.

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By the sounds of things, there should be a socket on your sirius module that will fit the plug from the car harness that normally goes to the head unit. then the sirius module should come with a harness that connects from the sirius module to the head unit. So in simple terms, your sirius module will be inline between your car harness and head unit.
That is what I thought as well but the sirius radio has one plug on the back? Maybe the wrong part number.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I googled your sirius part number, and here's the first link that came up.

http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en...Id=1001&SubGroupId=3261&GroupId=2013&pc=37585

There's an installation guide there, and it looks like you have the harness for a vehicle with no CD changer in the dash. That's just going by this installation guide, I don't know much about your specific product.

EDIT- Did some more searching. This product specifically says it is for In-dash CD changer models. So perhaps this is the part number you should be ordering?

http://www.dodgepartsstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=553

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I got your message too late to call you back, but since this is here-

The 2006's have the Sirius cable already installed in the car, that is the cable you are seeing behind the dash. However, there is nothing on the other end of it. You can either find the other end of te cable, and use the cable already in the car, or you can ignore that one, and run a new one. The other end should be located somewhere under/behind the seats- I have never had to track the unit down in a [rarely] equipped 06.

Now, as to why you can plug in the Sirius and it doesn't work, that I cant answer for you for certain. However, it appears that you may have a CAN-Bus version designed for the newer cars, not the correct version for the old J1850 radios like the Viper has. The Viper never completely updated Bus systems like every other Dodge Vehicle, so going by years will NOT work. The 03-10 Viper Bus system is based on 2000 technology.

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay, so after my discussion with Dan @ viperspecialtyperformance.com I basically came to the conclusion that I need to scrap the stock head unit. There is so little out there that actually works with it, after looking into this for a few weeks it just seems pointless to continue beating this dead horse. Thanks for all the help!

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just an update on this topic. I ended up finding the correct Sirius radio part as listed above. It works great. The problem was I had the wrong Sat radio part. So now I have SiriusXM.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, you do not need to scrap the head unit. You purchase the Ipod to interface module adapter cable for a 2006/2007 Jeep SRT8 and use it instead of the Ipod adaptor cable that came with the 06' Ipod Viper kit. For some reason the one with the kit does not work. There is a pin change on one of the ends at that point then it works fine.

In the beginning, mine did the same thing on my 06' when installed. All the gauges and windows stopped working etc. After we figured it out and put in the different adapter cable with repin, everything worked perfectly and has for over 2 years now. Call the Viper Tech Glenn at Brandon Dodge here in Littleton, CO and he can walk you through what to change. As far as adding Sirius, I changed out the head unit to the newer 08' Viper GPS unit so Sirius came with it and works fine, however on the older 06' Unit, you just need to add the Scosche Sirius adapter and attenna equipment to make it work.

If you upgraded the head unit, great! as the stock head unit sounds pretty bad anyway. The 08' Unit is better but not by much, however I wanted a stock look from the outside anyway.

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I appreciate the help. At this point I would like to get GPS Nav and a nicer head unit. Ot's just not worth the effort to deal with this head unit that is basically old news.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang