Six Point Harness verse Five Point

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2006 SRT Coupe. I want to get a harness system but not sure if I should get a 5 or 6. Which is recommended? Thanks

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I received my viper yesterday and also received 2 sets of Team Tech 6-points from Jon B. at Parts Rack that will be installed this week.

I believe the 5th or 5th and 6th points are to prevent "submarining" in heavy frontal impact or heavy braking situation where you would slide under the steering wheel.

6 points include one anchor strap for each leg that mounts on the floor and you kind of sit on the belts and then they join in one snap as they loop back over and between your legs to go in the cam (you are kind of sitting in a sling). I think 5 points differ in that there is only one strap that anchors on the floor and then comes back over your johnson area (or whatever it is called for the ladies) and into the cam lock.

I really have not heard of too many people using 5 points these days.

Our cars are set up from the factory for the 6 points.

NOTE: I am not a ******** racing guy and could be wrong about this so please check with Jon B. and other experts! :usa:

OP
OP
V

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Stealth, your input was helpful.

If our Vipers are setup from the factory for a 6 point, then that is the answer. Would make no sense to me to start modifing my car to fit a 5 point harness.

Another question, for normal street driving, can the 6 point be put under the seat? :usa:

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another question, for normal street driving, can the 6 point be put under the seat? :usa:

The instructions with the harnesses say that our Vipers come with threaded mounting points below the carpet where needed and of course there are mounting points behind the seats. Whether or not this can be used for 5 OR 6-points I do not know. I had 6-points in my C6 Z06 and liked them and Jon B. recommended them as well when I spoke to him.

I also asked about storage/stowage as the harnesses will not be used 95% of the time. On my Z, I had clip-in/clip-out attachments to take the belts out. The Viper setup does not have these, except for the shoulder harnesses. Jon B. stated that there is room to tuck the belts under the seat when not in use. In my Z this was not possible because it had a power seat. I will check the Viper, but I suspect it will be possible.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus, check the archieves, lots of discussion on 5 vs. 6 with the recommendation being 6 for SRT's

Stealth, the mounting points Jon referenced are for both the lap belt and front belts. You can store the belts in the car. I take out the harness belts as it effects seat travel and they come out very easily, you can tuck the lap belts between the seats. On the front diaper, loosen the straps all the way, then slide the belts over the front corners of the seat.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Team Tech 6 points in my car and absolutely love them for track and autocross time. When I am street driving I stow the lap and crotch belts on either side of the seat and flip the shoulder harnesses behind the seat back and use the stock 3 points. Nothing gets disconnected in beween times.

The video that accompanies the harnesses really helps out alot and makes the install pretty easy.

OP
OP
V

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, great help! Thanks to all for your input.
Going with the TeamTech Harness 6 point. I'll be calling Jon B.
Thanks again Gus

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang