Skip Shift Indicator

crackleking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 RT/10. Can someone tell me what is the purpose of the skip shift, that you cannot go to second or third gear, but can only go to fourth gear from first when the green arrow is lit. Thanks.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Emmisions junk. You can disconnect it, but I believe you may get a CEL. I have it disengaged with my SCT and they make a simulator as well.

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This feature was implemented for emission reduction purposes AFAIK. It was pretty anoying to me so I installed a skip shift eliminator very soon after I got my car (which happens to be a silver '98 RT/10, too).

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corvettes have the same feature. Really annoying, but as mentioned, there are skip shift eliminator kits to overcome this.

OP
OP
C

crackleking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice to hear from somebody with a silver 98 rt. They only made 127. Wish I knew how many were left on the road. Thanks for your response about the skip shift. I won't do anything about it. Doesn't bother me. Just wanted to know the reason for it. By the way, my car idles at 400 rpm's. It is steady all the time, no problems. Seems kind of low idle. How about yours?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put eliminators on both of our Vipers...and on a friends Challenger.

The original reason for CAGS..computer aided gear selection...was for MPG.

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
nice to hear from somebody with a silver 98 rt. They only made 127. Wish I knew how many were left on the road. Thanks for your response about the skip shift. I won't do anything about it. Doesn't bother me. Just wanted to know the reason for it. By the way, my car idles at 400 rpm's. It is steady all the time, no problems. Seems kind of low idle. How about yours?

Yeah, not so many of us around :smirk:

As for the idle: I do think that 400 rpm is (too) low. The question is, how did you measure it? Mine is idling around 650-700 rpm. I measured it by reading the live data provided by PCM with my ODBII Reader. It is not really steady, it is constantly changing but stays within the said window.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding the idle, the first line on the tach is actually the 500 rpm mark :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21