skip shift locking out

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
last summer, and again today...as it is getting hot here in fl. my car is locking me out of every thing but 1st and 4th. i know the car is supposed to do this under certain peramiters, but not for miles and miles. what is causing it and how can i get it to stop.

thanks
ryan

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On this site there is a section on the different modifications that you can perform on your Viper.

On of these things is to disconnect the stelnoid that causes this switch.

However with the right driving still you can avoid this shift. For instance when you are in 1st speed always accelerate above 2000rpm.

I am also able to feel when the stelenoid forces the 4th speed. In that case I change the speed like on a Truck. You hit twice the shift to its most left position and then you pass to 2nd speed.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an electric solenoid that when engaged, only allows the internal shift mechanism to travel from 1 to 4. When I had my T56 apart, I removed the 1-4 mechanical shift guide, and from looking at it, see that when the yellow arrow illuminates, you cannot go from 1 to any other gear, even 3 or 5 or 6, since you are locked into that 1-4 guide.

Before I got the "plug" to fool the system in my '94, I looked at the wiring diagram and think it's a ground-to-engergize solenoid. The wire goes under the dash, over to passenger side, under the removeable floor at the passenger feet, then up into the dash again. Maybe your solenoid is shorting to ground and stuck "on?"

For now, unplug the wire from the side of the transmission. If the trouble code bothers you, ~$30 at SummitRacing.com for the plug.

OP
OP
G

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know how this "feature" if thats what you want to call it is supposed to work, in junction with the indicator on the dash. my problem is that there is no idnicator comming on on my dash, and i am locked in either 1st or 4th. if i kill the engine and put it in one of the locked out gears then re-fire it, it works ....well till i go to shift to another locked out gear. has anyone ever had this problem before. is there anyway to reset the car's computer....mabey the computer thinks i have the etra money just laying around to fix this $hit....AND ITS WRONG :) . just a poor college kid looking for a good time LOL!

thanks
ryan

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan, for free you can unplug it and that should fix it. You can reach it without removing the transmission plate under the car.

If you have the service manual, find the wire that goes under the floor mats and disconnect it.

If that doesn't fix it, the solenoid plunger is remaining extended. Unscrew the solenoid from the transmission case. (Still free, but you have to plug the hole.) The fact that you can shift with the ignition off means the mechanical parts in the transmission shift rail guides is OK.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc