Slow cooling fan

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, I got a power steering tester, without the flow meter though, and the pictures help to confirm that's the location to put it but unfortunately I didn't have the time to hook it up and I'm jumping on a flight at 5 am. Really appreciate the help

I'll update this in a week, but symptoms seem to be pointing at stuck relief, and looking at the location of the relief valve and seems to be hard to get at. Shot in the dark is its easier to pull the fan than it is to pull the reliefs while the fans in the car? Probably keeps things cleaner too?
The relief valve that would be the problem would be the one in the pump, not the fan more than likely. The relief valve in the fan is a bias valve to give priority to the rack when needed, and seeing as neither work properly... I am leaning pump.

That said, you need to see if you are flowing out of the pump in any quantity or not, and if so, where the return flow is coming from.

This is a weird one, but without any history of the components it's a total toss up.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From memory, the G1 & 2 pumps have the following ratings for only 1 purpose - the steering rack:

idle flow pressure ~80 PSI
idle flow rate ~1.8 GPM
pressure relief valve ~1200-1300 PSI

The G3 pumps might have modestly uprated minimum flow and pressures for the fan circuit.

The relief and flow control valve on the G1 & 2 pump is screwed into the housing at the HP outlet port. G2 pics for reference:

Attachments

• Pump alignment pin.jpg
    Pump alignment pin.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Pump insertion marks.jpg
    Pump insertion marks.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 6

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I see, thanks for the heads up, any chance you recall what size adapter you needed? I'll make sure I've got it, but if not no problem, Google might have the answer
Unfortunately I don't really know off the top of my head. The stock fittings are almost more like A/C "bump tube" fittings, but I never had much luck finding what they were exactly. I bought the JTS Venom Performance power steering line kit that replaces all the hoses and fittings with AN adapters that I think are custom made (maybe not). The Miller tool that Dodge lists in the service manual includes all the Chrysler fittings to adapt the power steering tester though if you can actually find one or the pieces of the kit somewhere. Looks like the individual adapters have their own part numbers, (9091-1, 9091-2, 9091-3, and 9091-4). Those might be cheaper to find on their own vs as a whole kit and you don't necessarily need all of them depending on where all you need to check stuff. The only part I actually used on my car from the JTSVP kit was the pump fitting though. The hoses and other fittings just ended up going in my power steering tester box as there was no reason to replace what wasn't broken.

I think you can pull the relief from the module while in the car, but likely easier to pull it out with it removed so you have more room to look around. If it's anything like mine though you might be better off looking for a replacement module anyway. The plunger in my valve looked okay for the most part, maybe just the lightest of scratches on the bore in a few places, but even with an emery cloth polish it still had the same problems (plus it was a pain to get out without scratching it up more).

cothrelo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope yall do not mind me asking a question about my leak. I have a small leak due to the paxton intercooler tank it makes getting a good view of the power steering pump kinda hard. I have cleaned the AN fitting that you can see from the top of the engine bay and it is dry. So I am thinking the connections on the reservoir however it does look wet under the pully shaft but not where the shaft goes into the pump. Is it common for the a seal around the shaft to start leaking? when looking up replacement pumps, I saw that there is a reservoir kit that has an O ring where it connects to the pump and is held to the pump by 2 clips. Has anyone seen this go bad? Any pointers where the rubber hoses that go to the reservoir come from?

Just trying to determine if I need to replace the pump or possibly just the reservoir or return hoses? IF the pump that means pulling the paxton and changeing belts as well. The weather just turned cool here after 100+ degree temps all summer.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
There are two rubber return lines to the reservoir, one from the fan module and one from the steering rack. I had a pump that was leaking from the shaft as well I think as I couldn't find any other wet point on the car higher than that. It seems to finally be dry after yet another pump replacement a few years back. I kept the old pump and took it all apart just to check it out since I didn't have a core charge on the latest one I bought. Never saw anything out of line on it, so just cleaned it up, reassembled it, and keep it around as a spare just in case. You pretty much have to pull the pump to replace the reservoir anyway if you went that route unfortunately.

sailnaked6842

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So finally got back and started working on this and if there's one thing about these cars that's consistent it's that nothing is straightforward... As I was warned the power steering pressure tester kit doesn't have the right size fitting and can't find it. I looked at the power steering pump and couldn't really see oil moving around but I'm thinking @Viper Specialty is spot on that something's up with the pump... doesn't make sense otherwise. I went on a googling spree looking at things to make sure everything was hooked up correctly and came across the 'quick connect fittings', p/n 52088914AA for the fitting at the pump and p/n 52088116AB for the fitting at the fan. The fitting that goes into the pump seems to have an o-ring in the pictures, however the fitting in my pump does not have an o-ring. Just to clarify that p/n for the fitting at the pump is the fitting for the end of the hose, and not the fitting that goes into the pump? In saying all this - just prudent ruling out of issues - is it possible that the union that screws into the pump, if it was not the right fitting, could affect the power steering relief pressure? From what I'm seeing it looks like that fitting helps control the relief valve pressure? Just trying to rule out the dumb stuff before breaking into things

Edit: looks like I also got the Miller 9091 set for $25... Could be worse, I guess

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Got some pictures? That might help explain exactly what you are looking at a little better. I would think if the hose fitting is missing an o-ring that you'd be shooting fluid everywhere. Almost sounds like the relief on the pump is stuck open if you aren't getting pressure out of anything. The analyzer should be able to tell you that fairly quickly though.

sailnaked6842

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, the wording in the first message wasn't great, it looks like those part numbers relate to the fittings on the end of the hoses rather than assisting with the flow control. In my case the o-ring is on the hose end but not in the greatest shape, although it could be worse.

I agree with the rest of you that the pump relief seems suspect here, so I went looking for the relief valve flow control that screws into the pump to make sure mine's correct but it doesn't look like you can get that part outside of buying a new PS pump. When I bought my pump from Jones I'm pretty sure it did not have the flow control valve attached to it, and I didn't have a pump to pull one from, so there's a chance the flow control is wrong

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is also the chance that your pump has something wrong on the inlet side, and is unable to draw fluid from the reservoir. I have seen people assemble systems with dust caps still installed, and seeing as you dont know the history... who knows.

If thats the case, you 100% need to replace that pump before you test anything, or you risk pumping a bunch of metal directly into the rest of the system as its surely beat up by now internally due to lack of lubrication... and in that case, you can just scrap and replace the entire system again.

sailnaked6842

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a quick update on this there was no relief valve in the power steering pump. While I vaguely recall that the valve and adapter was shipped with the pump, I was moving at the time and must have set it somewhere and a week later bolted the pump up to get the car ready to go on the trailer. Dan wins this weeks award for "what is wrong with my viper" being the first one to say the relief valve in the pump.

Also if anyone knows, I just want to make sure the gen 3 flow control looks like the one below and has a filter screen on it since it looks quite a bit different than the gen2 Dean posted?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sailnaked6842

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'Borrowed' a pump from NAPA, cleaned and installed the relief valve, took the car around the block and the power steering and fan worked fine. It both ***** and is kind of relieving it was something so dumb

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
'Borrowed' a pump from NAPA, cleaned and installed the relief valve, took the car around the block and the power steering and fan worked fine. It both ***** and is kind of relieving it was something so dumb
Good deal.

Be sure to flush that system 58 times with ATF+4 to make sure its clean as can be, given it was apart for so long as has who-knows-what in it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21