Snake Worth

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, i am looking to get my first viper in January, and am trying to decide which one to buy - i think i need to get a gen II (96 GTS) because of the daily driver issues. My question is, in January, how much should i expect to pay for a high(er) mileage well-maintained 96 GTS? i have seen many go for low 40's. You think they will be there then, or even a little lower? I could go w/ a gen 1 for high-mid 30's, but for a daily driver i think gen ii is better. Any opinions?

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96 cars are collectors. Might be better off getting a 1997, they also offer then in the blue/white color combo. 97 Vipers are cheaper/newer and easier to come by. You can find a 97 in a better condition then a 96, with fewer miles, and being offered for less money then a 96.
hope that helped.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the '96 will be the cheaper car. 97 is better in every way, with the problems of '96 solved. They made too many of these cars for them to be collectible anytime soon. Anyone asking more for a '96 because of "collectability" is kidding themselves, IMO.

However, if you can get a 97 cheaper, go for it - it's the better car all around.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelP:
'97 is definitely a better car than the '96

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We need to nominate MikeP in forumn awards for changing singature more times than he washes his hair(s).. hehe

G

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">1997 better than 1996? Not that I'm unbiased, but I don't get it....

Cast exhaust manifolds, the same both years.
Wheels, cast on 1996 cast and early 1997, forged on later 1997.
Alarm disable switch, none on either year.
Passenger airbag cutoff, not on either year.
Power mirrors, not on either year.
Alarm TSB update, both 1996 & 1997 needed it.

Some 1997's had:
Defective intake manifold gaskets
Porous oil pan.

Some early production 1996's needed:
Updated throttle cable bracket
Dimmer switch replacement
Center stop light wiring correction
Seat belt rub strip
PCM software update
Rear O2 sensor replacement
Airbag module replacement

In addition to being the first year of the GTS, 1996 was the only year to have the full rear stripes.

One would imagine (easily verified via any Dodge dealer's computer) that most or all of the TSB's were performed by now, making the variance even less.

Stay away from 1996's? I don't get it. Warranty, overall condition, maintance records, etc. should be much more important factors in your decision.

I in fact only wanted a 1996 and was lucky enough to find mine new in a Dodge dealer's showroom in Sept. of 2000.

</FONT f>

OP
OP
S

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, well, my next question is, i know that there are higher mileage 96-97 gts's around for low 40's, but i don't want to buy a POS, will tator or woodhouse or someone be able to find what i want and for me to still get it like 42-43 range? if not, i might have to go gen 1 or buy the car myself........

Bill

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Doesn't cost anything to ask them, so why not. Beyond that, speak with your local VCA and perhaps they could dig up a lead for you....</FONT f>

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be prepared to pay a little more for a good clean car. The piece of mind is worth every penny!! Good luck....Kurt