So I was pulled over the other day...

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In NYS there are height requirements and distance from the front and rear of the vehicle, as well as unobstructed veiw, as to where the plate has to be mounted also. They have it all covered! It is up to the officer, as to what he or she feels like writing for the day.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Local vehicle laws are a different animal than marriage laws. A polygamist from Utah is illegal when he and his wives move to Illinois anyway. If what you are saying is true about reciprocity between states, I could buy *** in Cali where it's legal and smoke it in Montana where its not. Or not carry insurance because they don't require it where I'm from. I guarantee you that's not gonna happen, and not just because of some cops on-the-spot interpretation. That one's not getting tossed out of court. I am telling you, local laws apply to license plate requirements. Maybe a local cop has let you go out of courtesy, given that it is a stupid law and you were just visiting, but he doesn't have to. Same with insurance requirements, loudness laws, seatbelt requirements, etc.

I think you need to stop smoking the *** your buying in Cali. I can Tell you for certain that a vehicle is bound to the laws of the state that it is registered in. I had a hearse as my first vehicle that had limo tint and purple haze bars that were visible while driving but while I had the California plates on it I was pulled over at least a dozen times in Las Vegas(if you think you get stopped in a Viper alot try driving a hearse) but never got a ticket because the car was from Cali. Not sure if its legal there or not but it always kept me from being ticketed for it, even when I got pulled over for street racing with all my lights on, including my hidden grill lights. I was also stopped in Texas for having a video unit visible to the driver in my Excursion but since its not illegal in Nevada and that is where the vehicle is plated, the very disappointed cop had to let me go, after calling it in to make sure.:rolaugh: Not sure what would make you think that they could give you a ticket for something that is legal in your home state??? in fact laws can change by county, some of our members live in Nye county and don't have to smog check but in Clark county we do, so according to you if they drive their ACR track car in Las Vegas they could be required to smog check their vehicle???

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you need to stop smoking the *** your buying in Cali. I can Tell you for certain that a vehicle is bound to the laws of the state that it is registered in. I had a hearse as my first vehicle that had limo tint and purple haze bars that were visible while driving but while I had the California plates on it I was pulled over at least a dozen times in Las Vegas(if you think you get stopped in a Viper alot try driving a hearse) but never got a ticket because the car was from Cali. Not sure if its legal there or not but it always kept me from being ticketed for it, even when I got pulled over for street racing with all my lights on, including my hidden grill lights. I was also stopped in Texas for having a video unit visible to the driver in my Excursion but since its not illegal in Nevada and that is where the vehicle is plated, the very disappointed cop had to let me go, after calling it in to make sure.:rolaugh: Not sure what would make you think that they could give you a ticket for something that is legal in your home state??? in fact laws can change by county, some of our members live in Nye county and don't have to smog check but in Clark county we do, so according to you if they drive their ACR track car in Las Vegas they could be required to smog check their vehicle???

No, he's right. Trust me...I make A LOT of money off of out of state drivers that get pulled for window tint, objects dangling from the mirror, etc. The no front plate is usually overlooked because it's not really a safety hazard. However, lights, lift kits and things that can be viewed as "unsafe" will get you a ticket...even if out of state. Many of the things like tint and dangling objects are to get around pretextual stops (if they have a reason to pull you over, then the stop is legal and if they find anything else, it's legal as well). However, most officers around here will pull you for no plate, warn you and let you go...but if they catch you again, it's a ticket. It is also a compliance offense in VA, so you put the tag on (thanks to Jon B's services) and show the officer at court - ticket "dismissed as complied with law." However, don't go in front of the same judge with this one. While some laws are based on where you are from, vehicle laws are based on where you are driving (remember, it's a privilege, not a right). Just my educated $0.02.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, I got three speeding tickets since May! And using a lawyer is getting to be just about useless these days too. It used to be that you could get defered ejutication pretty easily, but now if the ticket is over 26mph over the limit they won't do it anymore, and you have to pay the full fine and, worst of all, it goes on your record! Time for a laser jammer/detector

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, he's right. Trust me...I make A LOT of money off of out of state drivers that get pulled for window tint, objects dangling from the mirror, etc. The no front plate is usually overlooked because it's not really a safety hazard. However, lights, lift kits and things that can be viewed as "unsafe" will get you a ticket...even if out of state. .

Just because the dounut eaters write the ticket, doesn't mean it's an infraction. Most drivers will comply with just about anything a cop writes because it the path of least resistance. If taken in front of a Judge, most if not all the front plate/dark tint tickets will be thrown out due to where the car is register(assuming it's the law of that state).

Now the dangling things................................. I ain't touching that :D :D

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, if what you are proposing is true, any Montanan could speed in any state (back when they had no speed limit) because that's the law back home. Or any Floridian could carry a concealed weapon in a gun-hating state like Illinois because its allowed back home. Makes no sense at all. Im glad you guys got out of your tickets, but it wasn't as a matter of law. Now Alpine has spoken, don't make me sick PatentLaw and all the other lawyers on you!

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
still not believing you. again lay off the ***. Speed limits are posted laws and guns can be removed from your holster and left at home but you can't remove your tint when driving through a state where thats not legal. I know there are stupid laws but get real. If what your saying is true than every state would have to give you two plates but some provide only one from DMV. You keep refering to things that are actions not things that are more or less unchangable.

Alpine, what do you do that makes you money from this??

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW I called my friend who is a cop just to clarify (I would apologize if I was wrong) and he confirmed what I had said. A vehicle is bound to the laws in the state that it is registered in but can be ticketed if the owner has moved to a new state and is not in compliance with the local law in a certain time frame which may be different in some state but usually 30 days.. There are a few exceptions that deal with safety but are mostly just old laws overlooked in the books which do not apply to current vehicles. However Alpine is correct when it comes to lights as well because they can be on the vehicle but not in use while driving if in a state in which they are prohibited. And I assume dangling objects you are referring to obstruction of view or driver distraction laws. which really does not apply, again they can be removed easily in order to comply with local laws. When it comes to front plates and window tint, it is the laws of the state that the vehicle is registered in that rule. Just my informed $.02

Last edited:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, he's right. Trust me...I make A LOT of money off of out of state drivers that get pulled for window tint, objects dangling from the mirror, etc. The no front plate is usually overlooked because it's not really a safety hazard. However, lights, lift kits and things that can be viewed as "unsafe" will get you a ticket...even if out of state. Many of the things like tint and dangling objects are to get around pretextual stops (if they have a reason to pull you over, then the stop is legal and if they find anything else, it's legal as well). However, most officers around here will pull you for no plate, warn you and let you go...but if they catch you again, it's a ticket. It is also a compliance offense in VA, so you put the tag on (thanks to Jon B's services) and show the officer at court - ticket "dismissed as complied with law." However, don't go in front of the same judge with this one. While some laws are based on where you are from, vehicle laws are based on where you are driving (remember, it's a privilege, not a right). Just my educated $0.02.

I've driving many miles over many years in VA with an NC registered Viper with only 1 plate and never been stopped for it, including many times parked in full view of officers in the streets of downtown Richmond who could easily act upon it if desired. I'm pretty sure they can't give you a ticket for it when your home state only issues 1 plate (note, if you are from MD (which has 2 plates) in VA, and only have 1 plate, VA can still ticket you). Most of the rest of things are subject to the locality you are in at the time though.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happens in reality (like getting or not getting stopped or ticketed), what the opinion or interpretation of a local cop is (like they're never wrong), or what you're 50 years of singular experience is has NOTHING to do with what is "correct". So stop telling me to lay off the ***--I don't smoke it, it was a joke about Californians. I'll trust the opinion of a lawyer who KNOWS the law rather than you're "informed" opinion (which consists apparently of calling a cop friend and asking him what HE thinks). Could a cop be lenient with you as a visitor and not ticket you for front tint? Of course, but just because he didn't doesn't mean he couldn't. Likewise for the judge dismissing it. He doesn't have to. Don't equate experience for proof. As for immovable items such as window tint, you are wrong also. A cop could hand you a scraper and tell you to take it off or have the vehicle towed. As far as your state giving you only one plate, that's nice. But it is still required in other states. A state license plate doesn't give you carte blanche to drive anywhere in the country automatically, it just means your car was registered in the appropriate state. Would you get ticketed, probably not..but again empirical observation does not equate to a standing law. For those who still do not believe, here's the Illinois statute regarding window tint:

(625 ILCS 5/12‑503) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑503)
Sec. 12‑503. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with wipers.
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any sign, poster, window application, reflective material, nonreflective material or tinted film upon the front windshield, sidewings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver. A nonreflective tinted film may be used along the uppermost portion of the windshield if such material does not extend more than 6 inches down from the top of the windshield. Nothing in this Section shall create a cause of action on behalf of a buyer against a dealer or manufacturer who sells a motor vehicle with a window which is in violation of this Section.

The list of exclusions to window laws is long: people with albinism, parakeratosis, lupus erythematosis, sun allergies, cars not originally equipped with windshields, stickers required by local authorities, farm equipment, motorcycles, scooters, etc. etc. Funny, however, that NOWHERE is the simple concept of being from out of state listed.

Also note that the law exempts car dealers from liability when selling cars with tint (i.e., "I just bought it with the tint on and didn't know it was illegal"). Yet I personally know of several people who have had this happen and have had their tickets thrown out. Again, experience (even first hand) does not equate to a law. The law says one thing and another is what really happens. Welcome to America.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another reason to be glad we moved To Georgia from New Jersey! I would never install a plate needing drilling to my vehicle. Just register it in a different state. Cops can't find my trailer, but can write a BS ticket! Cops do NOT prevent crime---they only take reports after the fact, worthless!

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a ticket last week , went to my brothers house 1/2 mile away,3 doors from his house got pulled over.I forgot to wear my seat belt.Oh well!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can not fight city hall however PBA cards do work wonders for these type of things (i take it cops in your home state offer courtesy cards ?)

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys very simply ANY automobile PASSING THRU a state is and can be bound by thats states MV laws and codes regardless of where the Auto is registered.For instance a motorcycle rider from a state where there is no helmet law riding thru NJ without a helmet can and will be stopped.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am telling you, local laws apply to license plate requirements. Maybe a local cop has let you go out of courtesy, given that it is a stupid law and you were just visiting, but he doesn't have to.

No, he's right. Trust me...I make A LOT of money off of out of state drivers that get pulled for window tint, objects dangling from the mirror, etc. The no front plate is usually overlooked because it's not really a safety hazard. ... While some laws are based on where you are from, vehicle laws are based on where you are driving (remember, it's a privilege, not a right). Just my educated $0.02.

Certainly an eye opener for me ! I never knew that I was breaking the law whenever I drive my Arizona registered cars in most of the US !!! I just assumed that I had to only display the one plate that I was issued.

I don't doubt it in the least though. Legislators are not know for thinking things through, or being reasonable. I think that we in Arizona have the option to get two specialized plates, and I always wondered who the hell would put on the second plate in a state that doesn't require two? So, this may be the reason.

How does one go about finding out what states require two plates? (Not that I am going to comply.)

Last edited:

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does one go about finding out what states require two plates? (Not that I am going to comply.)

I went to Google and typed in "states with two license plates". It took me to a Wikipedia article that said :

"In the U.S. states of Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts (most plates issued prior to 1988 - see note below), Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia, license plates are only required on the rear of the vehicle. Some vanity and specialty plates in Arizona and Kansas are issued in pairs, but only the rear plate is required to be displayed; the optional front plate is something of a bonus for paying an extra fee for the plate."

Bob

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of the examples that have been used to illustrated situations in which you can be ticketed while traveling through state have been situations that can be changed without modification to the vehicle. such as helmets, speed, hanging things, smoking ***. Are you not smart enough to figure out that you can put a helmet on or take a helmet off, speed up or slow down, hang things from your mirror or take things off your mirror, all these can be done without any alteration to the vehicle. mounting a plate requires permanent alteration, excluding the specialized plate bracket for the viper. I am certain without question that I am correct and I would stake $100 on the matter if anyone could prove me wrong with legal documentation. this should be easy for you Alpine provided what you have been saying. My proof is this.... If you live in a state that provides only one plate and travel to a state that requires two how can you justify that they could impose any violation citation when you where not provided two plates to be in compliance with other states?? This is just stupid and I can't believe that Alpine can claim to be a legal adviser. You should enlist the service of a lawyer to sue the school you paid for your legal training since they clearly neglected your education.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of the examples that have been used to illustrated situations in which you can be ticketed while traveling through state have been situations that can be changed without modification to the vehicle. such as helmets, speed, hanging things, smoking ***. Are you not smart enough to figure out that you can put a helmet on or take a helmet off, speed up or slow down, hang things from your mirror or take things off your mirror, all these can be done without any alteration to the vehicle. mounting a plate requires permanent alteration, excluding the specialized plate bracket for the viper. I am certain without question that I am correct and I would stake $100 on the matter if anyone could prove me wrong with legal documentation. this should be easy for you Alpine provided what you have been saying. My proof is this.... If you live in a state that provides only one plate and travel to a state that requires two how can you justify that they could impose any violation citation when you where not provided two plates to be in compliance with other states?? This is just stupid and I can't believe that Alpine can claim to be a legal adviser. You should enlist the service of a lawyer to sue the school you paid for your legal training since they clearly neglected your education.

Not really my gig anymore, but one member to another you should lay off the personal attacks. You demean yourself and the club when you conduct yourself like this.

I'm sure that the law as it's written and the law as it's applied are two entirely different things in this case. i.e. if your car is registered in a state that only issues one plate, a LEO probably could issue a citation in accordance with the law, but knows that it would be dropped in court based on the fact that the motorist only has one plate and thus won't waste the courts time. Similarly, I would imagine that LEOs probably issue a LOT more citations for tint to drivers who themselves are licensed in the state of the offense, regardless of where the vehicle is registered. i.e. if you're passing through the state, they're probably much less likely to issue a citation for tint than they are if you live there but register your car elsewhere (like many military folks do).

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cop giving the ticket probably could not give a damn about the states law where the car is registered (the only thing they care about is that your in THEIR state driving a car that is out of code )his basic philosopy will be tell it to the proscuter or the judge.If the out of state person TAKES THE TIME to go to court (instead of mailing the fine in )they could probably beat the ticket under the grounds of THEIR states laws and they were just passing thru the state where the ticket was issued.All in all though i would bet the judge tells the owner of the car that if the auto is to be operated in his state for any period of time it must conform to their codes.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ps iam pretty sure in my above statements because my buddy had a car registered in Florida(second home there) that he used often in NJ.The car had full heavy window tint (legal in Florida not NJ )END RESULT after fighting a ticket was the judge telling him car is kept in NJ any period of time tint must go.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ease up a bit guys. you know personal attacks arent allowed. thank you.

:alert:

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, Jeffrey and Robert must not be "getting along" at home. :crazy2:
Mounting a license plate is hardly "permanent" compared with window tint. I'm sure you could apply for and recieve a second plate from your home state. Probably cost $10 or so. Knowing you have to do this, taking the time to do it, and paying for it are less impractical than foreseeing the need for a helmet when traveling to a state that requires one from one that doesn't. Still, you acknowledge that this is needed. :confused:
Anyway, this thread is beat to death. Later.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alpine, what do you do that makes you money from this??

I practice criminal and traffic law (among other things). I make money on these because people retain a lawyer to get them out of it or get it reduced (if out of state, I appear for them so they don't have to come back).

:soapy:

The main issue is if it is legal or not...technically it is illegal. HOWEVER, is an out of state driver LIKELY to get a ticket - NO! I've been pulled over a few times without a front plate and was not written for it (there is a lot of discretion on the part of the officer). Most likely, around here, only rural cops will write you for it. BUT YOU CAN BE PULLED.

I also had a client 2 years ago that was pulled for excessive tint. He lived in New York, car was registered in Florida. A state trooper pulled him for the excessive tint because IT WAS TOO DARK FOR VIRGINIA. Officer conducted a search and found 3 kilos of ******* in the dashboard. Again, some of these laws have DUAL applications - they are designed for safety and to allow for a perfectly legal stop if an officer has reason to believe there is something else going on. It's like being pulled for an improper lane change/failure to signal - is it illegal - YES; is it likely - NO.

As for the driving being a privilege or a right...the "Driving is a right" article has no validity. It cites case law, but misinterprets it. A quick glance through 46.2 of the Virginia code has numerous references to a person's "privilege to drive." The article posted quotes cases that discusses the right to travel upon the highway and continually cites the 14th Amendment. This is in cases involving the right/freedom to travel from place to place, not how you get there.

Well, end of rant...just my "uneducated" $0.02. I mean, what do I know, I only practice this stuff on a daily basis and am highly successful.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am certain without question that I am correct and I would stake $100 on the matter if anyone could prove me wrong with legal documentation. this should be easy for you Alpine provided what you have been saying.

VA Code 46.2-711 -711 Furnishing number and design of plates; displaying on vehicles required.
A. The Department shall furnish one license plate for every registered motorcycle, tractor truck, semitrailer, or trailer, and two license plates for every other registered motor vehicle, except to licensed motor vehicle dealers and persons delivering unladen vehicles who shall be furnished one license plate. The license plates for trailers, semitrailers, commercial vehicles, and trucks, other than license plates for dealers, may be of such design as to prevent removal without mutilating some part of the indicia forming a part of the license plate, when secured to the bracket.
B. The Department shall issue appropriately designated license plates for:

1. Passenger-carrying vehicles for rent or hire for the transportation of passengers for private trips;

2. Taxicabs;

3. Passenger-carrying vehicles operated by common carriers or restricted common carriers;

4. Property-carrying motor vehicles to applicants who operate as private carriers only;

5. Applicants who operate motor vehicles as carriers for rent or hire; and

6. Trailers and semitrailers.

C. The Department shall issue appropriately designated license plates for motor vehicles held for rental as defined in § 58.1-2401.

D. No vehicles shall be operated on the highways in the Commonwealth without displaying the license plates required by this chapter. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to vehicles used to collect and deliver the Unites States mail to the extent that their rear license plates may be covered by the "CAUTION, FREQUENT STOPS, U.S. MAIL" sign when the vehicle is engaged in the collection and delivery of the United States mail.

E. Pickup or panel trucks are exempt from the provisions of subsection B with reference to displaying for-hire license plates when operated as a carrier for rent or hire. However, this exemption shall not apply to pickup or panel trucks subject to regulation under Chapter 21 (§ 46.2-2100 et seq.) of this title.

(Code 1950, §§ 46-96, 46-160; 1950, p. 625; 1954, c. 211; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-99; 1974, cc. 150, 477; 1989, c. 727; 1993, c. 290; 1995, c. 46; 1997, cc. 774, 816; 2001, c. 596; 2005, c. 140.)

There is no exception for out of state vehicles...the code clearly states "NO VEHICLES...." It also lists specific exemptions - again, no mention of out of state vehicles.

PM me for my PayPal information so that you can make my deposit! :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: :usa:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as your state giving you only one plate, that's nice. But it is still required in other states. A state license plate doesn't give you carte blanche to drive anywhere in the country automatically, it just means your car was registered in the appropriate state. Would you get ticketed, probably not..but again empirical observation does not equate to a standing law.

You are assuming that states which issue 2 plates also require 2 plates under their law, but here's the VA statute I found in a quick search:

§ 46.2-715. Display of license plates.
License plates assigned to a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, tractor truck, trailer, or semitrailer, or to persons licensed as motor vehicle dealers or transporters of unladen vehicles, shall be attached to the front and the rear of the vehicle. The license plate assigned to a motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle. The license plate assigned to a tractor truck shall be attached to the front of the vehicle. The license plates issued to licensed motor vehicle dealers and to persons licensed as transporters of unladen vehicles shall consist of one plate for each set issued and shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle to which it is assigned.

Note that the law says that "License plates assigned to a motor vehicle...shall be attached to the front and the rear of the vehicle." VA assigns 2 plates, so you attach one to the front and back. If from MD (which issues 2 plates) and in VA, you will have to have 1 attached to the front and 1 to the back. But if you are from NC (which issues only 1 plate), then by having attached that 1 assigned plate to the rear, you arguably are in compliance with VA law, as you have attached what was assigned to your car.

Other states' laws may vary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang