So what could it be ? a POP every once in awhile from the rear end ?

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard it four times now and I can't find anything wrong :mad:

Everytime it's happened I've been either backing up stopped then starting forward or stopped and making a sharp turn to the left. It "POP"s and feels like I ran over something. The "POP" is hard enough I feel it.

Only thing I haven't inspected is the gears (that would require taking it apart) but what could be going bad to make it "POP" like that. I can't hear any other noise while driving it. The oil was changed about 20k ago and the car has a little over 42K

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Possibly a posi-track going bad..... are you a burnout kinda guy, or drag racer? As precaution, drain and inspect diff fluid, and re-fill.

Lube the suspension fittings?

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happened to my SRT, but was more of a "click". Turned out the axle spline was just a tad loose/rattling. Pull the wheel from the side the sound is coming from, remove cotter pin & lock nut, then really tighten the hub nut to tighten up the splines. Reinstall wheel and check to see if pop went away. If not, then you can start tearing rear end apart.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happened to my SRT, but was more of a "click". Turned out the axle spline was just a tad loose/rattling. Pull the wheel from the side the sound is coming from, remove cotter pin & lock nut, then really tighten the hub nut to tighten up the splines. Reinstall wheel and check to see if pop went away. If not, then you can start tearing rear end apart.

Do this and what JonB said, remove and re-fill with the proper fluids. Don't forget about the friction modifyer!

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Possibly a posi-track going bad..... are you a burnout kinda guy, or drag racer? As precaution, drain and inspect diff fluid, and re-fill.

Lube the suspension fittings?

Thanks Jon B

Yes I drag race the car. It has unitrax half shafts and I couldn't find anything upon the obvious inspection of everything . I will go over every bit of the suspension and change the fluids. If I remember I used that Mopar synthetic axle lube 75w140 last time. Is that right?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oil was changed about 20k ago and the car has a little over 42K

You might as well go out a buy another diff now! If you look in your owners manual under "maintenance schedule" for NORMAL service, diff fluid should be changed EVERY 9000 miles!! :omg:
Drag racing if it were mine, that would get changed every 3000 miles along with the motor oil!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Everytime it's happened I've been either backing up stopped then starting forward or stopped and making a sharp turn to the left. It "POP"s and feels like I ran over something. The "POP" is hard enough I feel it.

Only thing I haven't inspected is the gears (that would require taking it apart) but what could be going bad to make it "POP" like that. I can't hear any other noise while driving it. The oil was changed about 20k ago and the car has a little over 42K

Tighten up the rear diff. bolts til yer a$$ puckers. Check the rest of the bolts too, same thing happened to me, thought they were tight,,,,,, wrong.:D

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Oh and yes I will get friction modifyer

Yes I drag race the car.........................I will go over every bit of the suspension and change the fluids. If I remember I used that Mopar synthetic axle lube 75w140 last time. Is that right?........I guess those 1.5 60ft times are taking their toll........

1.5 ?!?!? Yep, GOOD, but youve been a Baaaaad boy........ rear diff is 75w-140 MoPar

+ additive. pn 4874469 and 4318060AB respectively.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might as well go out a buy another diff now! If you look in your owners manual under "maintenance schedule" for NORMAL service, diff fluid should be changed EVERY 9000 miles!! :omg:
Drag racing if it were mine, that would get changed every 3000 miles along with the motor oil!

I agree, change the diff now.

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Every 9000 miles ! :shocked: Wow ! Isn't that a little excessive? If so that's what I would call high maintenance!

You know if my car saw hours and hours of track time on the road coarse I would certainly understand it. My car see's the dragstrip maybe 4x a year and the rest is just cruising around. That can't be that demanding on my rear end and if so no wonder everyone does the drain plug mod on the rear ends. We're always changing the fluids :crazy2:

Anyway I was under the impression the only weak link to the rear end was the half shafts. I always see someone post one for that failure. I hardly ever see one for the rear end. Well except for those real high HP guys...Anyway depending on what my fluid looks like when I drain it, I'll just rebuild mine. Can't be that hard.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"a POP every once in awhile from the rear end ?"

I think you need to lay off the bean burritos. :lmao:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let me add one more that might make more sense. Do a search on some old post of mine that deal with two bushings at the top of the diff housing. I guarantee you that your car has close to 3/16" play in both of these bushing. I posted some pictures in "My Gallery". This can cause a loud click noise when accelerating or braking. It can also cause the rear to be lower on one side. My car was usually higher on the rear drivers side till I machined a set of poly bushing as the replacement. Take a look at the pictures - it is amazing how much slop there is.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me add one more that might make more sense. Do a search on some old post of mine that deal with two bushings at the top of the diff housing. I guarantee you that your car has close to 3/16" play in both of these bushing. I posted some pictures in "My Gallery". This can cause a loud click noise when accelerating or braking. It can also cause the rear to be lower on one side. My car was usually higher on the rear drivers side till I machined a set of poly bushing as the replacement. Take a look at the pictures - it is amazing how much slop there is.

Thanks Jack, better said than I did. Tighten those bolts and noise is gone.:2tu:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jack, better said than I did. Tighten those bolts and noise is gone.:2tu:

It may eliminate the apparent noise, but, under extreme acceleration/braking it will still shift the position of the chassis relative to the differential. What is interesting is that the Corvette had a similar issue and when they changed to poly bushings they made a lot of noise on how it helped the trackability, yet, we know the Gen 2's have this problem, however, it is ignored.

You do have to remove the old bushing assembly when the differential is out of the car. Unless you have a press it is not easy. The bushing that is closest in size is a corvette bushing, however, you have to ream it and surface cut that bushing to make it work because the front-to-back position is not correct.