Soft Top

10PISTNZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More or less..........
I just got my Viper in May of this year. The previous owner never drove the car if even looked like it might rain or get cold so he never installed the roof for the 6 years he owned the car. Based on the condition of the top I'm sure the original owner didn't install it very often either.
I watched that video a couple times before I tried the first time.
Since it hadn't been on the car for such a long time it was a little tight to get the screws in. Maybe it shrunk a little.
I used a small bar clamp to help stretch the top fabric to line the screw up. The fabric was like a drum. After a couple days the material relaxed a little now you can do it like video.

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Some people have told me its a total pain in the ass and takes forever...but doesn't look all that bad. Glad to hear that its relatively simple in your experience. I am on the hunt for one.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
T.....its a total pain in the axx and takes forever........

it definitely is if (as 10PISTNZ said) the top is not stretched out yet

that is an inspirational vid for rt owners (glad to watch it again) :2tu:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is even easier when you put it on top of the windshield frame and the sportsbar when unfolding the sidebars....once assembled turn it upside down - voila!
Did it 1000 times on my RT/10 (till the a**hole crashed the car!) and it is just a matter of practise.

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it is even easier when you put it on top of the windshield frame and the sportsbar when unfolding the sidebars....once assembled turn it upside down - voila!
Did it 1000 times on my RT/10 (till the a**hole crashed the car!) and it is just a matter of practise.

Sorry to hear about your car! thanks for the feedback.

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much should one expect to pay for a used top in good condition? Do all Gen 2's fit eachother? I.e. 2000 will fit on a 97?

BOMBOVIPER93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a brand new one that I was assured was for a Gen 1 that turned out to be for a Gen 2...I guess I would sell it. Its not doing much for me.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post a pic of the front corner of your top, showing the connection point.....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep a big towel handy and throw it over the windshield frame when you position the hardtop and/or softtop for installation. Those tabs that fasten the top to the frame will scratch the frame each time it is installed if there is no protection.

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can anyone post a few pics with their soft top on? I saw a few when I searched but was hoping to see some more and how it looks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang