solar powered battery tender

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2008 coupe. I continue to have battery drain problems. I want to buy a battery tender. I have to keep my car in a storage garage for now so I do not have access to power. I was wondering if anyone has had success with solar powered battery trickle chargers. Thanks.

lilgookiemonsta

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the same battery drain problems. Is there a reason why? I'm assuming the light for the alarm, yeah?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2008 coupe. I continue to have battery drain problems

Have you tried the "sleep mode" feature? It's suppose to keep your battery for about three months. I have not used it myself but theres a few members on here who do and they say it works just fine. :)

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been using sleep mode. Turn key to "alt" (towards you) for 4 cycles, leave key IN ignition, push up on the door lock. Horn will chirp. Get out shut door, and you're done. I also unplugged the little red flashy alarm light from the back of the mirror a while ago. I keep my Viper in a garage with no power outlet for a tender, nor does it even have windows for a solar tender.

I did find this morning when I went to get back in after two weeks, that apparently sleep mode disables the remote, because I had to unlock using the key manually. It will also reset your trip odometer to "0". Sleep mode disbles as soon as you start the car normally.

I did stop and park for a while during my errands this morning, and locked and unlocked using the remote.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IIRC, instructions on the sleep mode are in the owners manual.

Once a battery has been drained down to a low voltage, it will never be the same...the more times you "kill" it the less it holds its charge, doesn't take a full charge, etc. Most battery manufactures consider 10.5 volts really dead.

Best battery we have found for our work vehicles is the Sears Platinum (made by Odyssey and re-labeled for Sears). Non pro-rated warranty, no acid leaks and very good quality. The Platinum won a battery shoot out in "Overland Journal" magazine, a very technical test that shows lab data and results (Optima didn't do well).

I'd start with a new fully charged Platinum and put the car in sleep mode. Also, absorbed glass mat batteries like the Platinum like to be charged at a higher voltage (around 14.7 IIRC) than wet lead acid batteries so you need to make sure your battery tender has the ability to charge AGM batteries. I've been using the C-Tek brand...so far, so good.

Cheers,
George