Solid roller cam

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with a solid roller in a viper motor?

Entertaining the idea of a solid setup. Wondering what needs to be done valve train wise to handle it, like the rockers. And what happens to power on the low end?

Steve

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with a solid roller in a viper motor?

Entertaining the idea of a solid setup. Wondering what needs to be done valve train wise to handle it, like the rockers. And what happens to power on the low end?

Steve

You would need adjustable rocker arms, new push rods and the lifters of course. The power a solid cam produces and and at what RPM's is determined by the profile of the cam and not necessarily specific to the lifter type.

They are noisy compared to hydraulic and require frequent adjustments. Generally used for high RPM and / or high spring loads.

If this is a street car I doubt you'd gain much, and a cam with enough profile to necessitate these would probably make dive-ability an issue.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Performance is about torque and horsepower. If you wnat a race car, you build big hp. Short life expectancy and high breakage. Make more torque and the engine becomes more driveable, lasts longer and performs the same.

If you had to pay for repairs (warranty) you'd want a car that got good mileage, lots of bottom end power and not too many revs.

Hp is great, but why wait for it? Increase the torque for instant throttle response and smoother power delivery as well as much more reliable and longer lasting.

Ted

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your worried about Solid setup, I will give you someone to talk to about it..that's doing it right now.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone once said:
"You buy HP, but you drive Torque".
HP is the big thing in manufactures advertising.

Later,

Performance Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Performance is about torque and horsepower. If you wnat a race car, you build big hp. Short life expectancy and high breakage. Make more torque and the engine becomes more driveable, lasts longer and performs the same.

If you had to pay for repairs (warranty) you'd want a car that got good mileage, lots of bottom end power and not too many revs.

Hp is great, but why wait for it? Increase the torque for instant throttle response and smoother power delivery as well as much more reliable and longer lasting.

Ted

Thank you, Yes I am aware of this I have built a fair amount of engines. I didn't search it so don't kill me:)...I thought the bore and stroke of the Viper V10 was real close to a small block V8. Ive taken small block roller set ups to near 7K RPM's with no issues at all with a good rev kit. (Properly balanced etc...)
I was wondering if some inherent design of the Viper V10 didn't like higher RPM,s.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is there anyone with firsthand knowledge here ? who's doing one and what have they found out so far on it ?

isn't the V10 a 360 with 2 additional cylinders. granted its aluminum but I don't see what the big deal is ?

anyone ?

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Plum,

Jason (back when he was at RSI) Did about 3-4 N/A Vipers with a solid roller setup.

I know two other Vipers in the works that have a solid setup. However
I think they would like to keep the setup and who they are on the hush hush. If they want to chime in, I'm sure they will.

If memory serves me right, Greg Good has set up a few heads for a solid roller setup.

I will be using a solid setup on the TT build.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a local guy here with a killer N/A set-up that has been using solid lifters since like 2001. He adjusts them ever 10-15k and the car just purrrrrrrrs like a kitten all the time.

I know of a few other local guys running solid set-ups and they have never complained of issues. To Plum's point, yes, a viper V10 isn't much different than a Chevy 360...

JD

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper engine is way different than a 360, the V-10 truck engine is similar to the 360, and a 360 is not a chevy engine it is a dodge engine that has been built since about 1971, they quit using it when the new hemi came out.
I dont see why you would want a soild lifter cam, soilid lifters big advantage is that you can turn higher RPM's without problems floating the valves, that being said Viper engines have major oiling problems at higher RPM's.(anything much higher than 6000)
I have seen posts on here suggesting that you should not shift at any higer RPM that 5800.
If you want to put in a soild cam and turn high RPM you will need a dry sump set up as well, sounds like alot of headaches and money to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960