Some interesting information regarding B/W Coupe Wheels!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Are the B/W Coupe Wheels the same as the copperhead Wheels? Heck No!

The sidewinder wheel was a special run that was used only for the Copperhead. It uses a process that is only applicable for very small production runs. The new five spoke used on the Coupe is new and was styled by Ralph Gilles and his team, and I will stand behind their vision and excellence any day of the week! They have delivered time and time again. The many that have seen them, are absolutely excited. There will always be differing opinions when it comes to styling - but that's the excitement of bringing a dream to reality!

Remember everyone, the original coupe at the autoshows was always revealed as a concept, and never called it "the final edition".

By the way, the Copperhead wheels are available through Mopar now.

All Viper wheels are true forgings and are all polished. From what I have been told, the wheels are all very similar in terms of actual value. The wheel on the Coupe at the first VOI showing were actually painted silver. ALL the first edition cars will get highly polished wheels of the new solid 5 spoke design, not the H spoke design that was featured on the RED/White concept Coupe.

SRT ALWAYS demands the best for our Viper Nation!

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joseph, Do you know if these new wheels are as lightweught as the Copperhead wheels?(the reduction in unsprung weight was/is a meaningful improvement IMHO)

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
The new 5 spokes are actually 8 lbs heavier (each) than the sidewinder wheels.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a First edition on order ..and I dont want the new
5 spokes...and the fact that they are heavyer..even makes me more mad....
Why did they chage the wheels from what has been shown and pictured for months.
now that all the orders are in ...then they change !!! ***!!!!!!

The first editions should have the sidewinder / copperhead
wheels..they look better and they are lighter!!!Now the new coupe will not be as quick with 32 extra "unsprung pounds"!!!the worst type of weight!!!absolutely brainless logic Dodge!!!!! :confused:

Something needs to be done!!!!!!!!

bob

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the blue/whites are a limited production, why the heck wouldn't they use the copperhead wheels?

I am disappointed in the other 5 spoke wheels.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My take on this...unbelievable. First of all, you would think that DC would build all the First Editions that the viper owners wanted. You would think that you would want to sell another 400 cars....especially went you only make 2000 cars a year. That is 20%! Now DC puts different wheels than advertized and (no offense)Joe Houss is trying to tell us how wonderful they are and oh...by the way they are 32 total pounds heavier than the sidewinder wheels...unbelievable. DC marketing at its finest.

FloridaChris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, here's my dilemma. I have one of the new first edition coupes coming. Like many here, I prefer the look of the copperhead wheels that I thought were on the car- although I will reserve final judgment until I see the car in person. If I change out the wheels and install a set of the copperhead wheels have I just reduced the value of the car on resale? As a first edition car, isn’t it more valuable with the stock wheels? Thoughts?

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FloridaChris,
I have exactly the same dilema as you and I too will wait to pass judgement on the wheels until the car arrives. My biggest issue is the 32 pounds of extra weight that makes no sense at all. I guess I will have to lose 32 pounds (not a bad idea!)to compensate. Changing out the wheels is a lose/lose situation the way I see it. Who would want to buy the heavy wheels (hence sell them cheap) and then pay a premium for the Copperhead wheels which then make your special edition car not totally original any more.

Bob K

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy the side winders, keep your original ones, and put them back when it comes time to sell.

Why are we always worried about resale value here? Please tell me these cars are bought for the primary purpose of ENJOYING THEM. New Cars do not make a great investment strategy.

Like the side winders... then buy a set and put them on. Pretty simple.

Jon

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the new wheels today on one of the new 06 coupes. I think the new wheels look much better than the sidewinder wheels.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black Mamba,

Where did you see this new coupe? Did they look 32 pounds better than the sidewinder wheels? Did you happen to take any pictures?

Bob K

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
I saw the new wheels today on one of the new 06 coupes. I think the new wheels look much better than the sidewinder wheels.

From comparing the pictures I like the new wheels better too. The spokes go to the outer edge of the wheel instead of being tucked into the lip. Of course, would prefer the best of both...new design and 8 pounds lighter.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in St Louis and the red 06 Coupe was at the Zone Rendezvous autocross with the new wheels. They make the wheels look a lot taller. I'm glad they will be on my FE. If weight is an issue I'm guessing there are people that would swap their sidewinder wheels for the new design.

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Thanks Jerry,

Sideline quarterbacking just doesn't work when you have seen both options guys!

Jerry HAS seen them, is an avid Viper enthusiast, and he does approve.

I can't imagine Ralph Gilles designing a wheel that looks less agressive than its' prototype!

Joe ... don't shoot the messenger... Houss

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was there with Jerry, and agree totally. The sidewinders may be best for the track, but the new spoked wheels that come with the FE really set the car off. The spokes go up into the rims and make the wheels look much larger. I believe most will like the looks of the new wheels, when compared to the sidewinders. I know everyone has different views, but those new wheels really look great on the car.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was also in St. Louis, and saw both wheels. I hope the one's we are getting grow on me....My first choice was the sidewinders we got used to in the press releases. My wife prefers the new design. I think it would have been best to show the correct wheels in the press release. I don't want to be too negative, because I love the new coupe, and I am glad that Dodge built it.

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ultra huge rendition of this pic in my Gallery helps show the essence of these wheels. They looked really good in person.

1714VOI05027-med.jpg

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
The ultra huge rendition of this pic in my Gallery helps show the essence of these wheels. They looked really good in person.

1714VOI05027-med.jpg

Thanks for the great pic. Like I said before and even more now with the better pic those wheels are awesome. Those are keepers. I wouldn't even go aftermarket. My .02.

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a severe crop of a pic. A guy from AR parked his Copperhead next to me and I happened to see this while processing the pic.

1714VOI05012b-med.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi