Some other 2008 improvements I noticed...

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ummmm, forged pistons?

"Strength was added with forged powder-metal connecting rods and pistons with larger-diameter floating pins."

I don't think that means it has forged pistons.....only in your(our) dreams ;)

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mentioned this in a post but... The press release mentions the brakes "can now brake to a stop in less than 100 feet." I dont see any visual changes in the brakes but wanted to run it by the group...

Here is the line from the press release.

"Thanks to Brembo dual opposing-piston calipers front and back, the Viper can now brake from 60 mph to a stop in less than 100 feet, and go from a zero to 100 to zero in just over than twelve seconds."

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They upped the brakes to 14 inch brembos versus the 13 inch on the Gen III.

BTW what are we calling this version ???? Gen 3.5??? Gen III.5???

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting but take a look at the pics. The rotors dont look any bigger to me...

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torque went up only 25 ft-lbs and for the first time, there's less torque than hp: the signature of a Viper ride. But it's still looking better than the competition.

I noticed that as well. I wonder if that so they wouldn't have to put on traction control.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt it has to do with traction control. Probably a result of the variable valve timing. While it is great to keep a flat torque curve, it probably limits peak torgue to a certain degree.

My guess...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
could HEMI style heads be offered? was it ever considered? 840 different possible combo's. So we to say that we will be special ordering our vipers or are the dealers going to order them & we get whats made? I'm in for a new one.
who wants my order?

Q1: No
Q2: Yes. Stay tuned for Gen 4, lighter, smaller?
Q3: Both. Order and wait or shop what's avail.

Chris forget to mention the inevitable SPECIAL EDITIONS that will add even MORE options! And the PreFix one-of-one costomization possible !

Another Ques asked about performance package options: Thanks to the Feds, this is difficult to do, too costly to certify in such low numbers. Neons YES!

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, they have done a good job with this car.

This thing is 600 hp!!! Really think about that. This will be a car that you can buy from a showroom and then do a 10 second 1/4 mile!! Probably with slicks but still.

They addressed issues that were necessary, put the horsepower where it was needed. RAISED the rev limiter, which alot of people have not mentioned. That is a nice benefit for driving/ road racing.

I will be ready to but one in 2 years.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peak torque happens with high volumetric efficiency; it's when the cylinder is filled "the most." Peak torque RPM is mid-range and largely dependent upon engine size. If you can't make the cylinders much bigger, you can't increase torque much.

Horsepower is torque times speed. RPM can go up faster than air consumption efficiency (notice I wrote "consumption efficiency", not "consumption") falls, so peak horsepower happens at higher RPM than peak torque. At some point the air consumption efficiency really falls, and more RPM doesn't get more horsepower.

Variable valve timing shifts the valve opening and closing events so that tuning at low RPM doesn't become a handicap at high RPM. Air consumption efficiency doesn't drop off as fast.

So variable valve timing is not "limiting" torque at all; but it is increasing horsepower beyond what the "static" valve timing would have allowed. In fact, if the engine hard parts could tolerate it, you could really change the valve timing and get even more power at even higher RPM, but you'll never get more torque.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang