Some questions about our newly aquired 06

Toomanycars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Day two of Viper ownership and we have put 200 miles on it just cruising around town and testing it out. This got me wondering what the limitation of the car really are. As you all know by now this car has a Paxton and it putting down about 750 to the wheels. I have heard the limits on the pistons is about 750 so I know that is at it's limits but what about the rest of the car? How much can the transmission take? What about the clutch and rear end? Can the car be launched hard at the track safely? All of our other cars have a live axle rear end but I don't know much about this car at all yet. I just want to make sure I'm not going to put it too hard and break something.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the tune checked before you think about getting on it. Mine is a Gen 2 but stock trans and rear with more rwhp. Talk to Doug about limits on your car as he built it but I'd say 850 or so for the trans and rear is safe.

Engine wise there are plenty in the 700 range and more. But its all in the tune......

OP
OP
T

Toomanycars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the tune checked before you think about getting on it. Mine is a Gen 2 but stock trans and rear with more rwhp. Talk to Doug about limits on your car as he built it but I'd say 850 or so for the trans and rear is safe.

Engine wise there are plenty in the 700 range and more. But its all in the tune......

Yes we will get the tune checked out and for now we are running a 50/50 mixture of race gas and pump gas to be safe. Good to hear on the rear end and the transmission. What about the clutch assuming it is stock because I don't know if it was changed or not.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stock clutch on mine but i wont be tracking this car ever or doing any 1/4 mile type stuff. this is debated a lot around here, search that one. its a personal opinion. i like that the clutch is $200 in parts to change out and is the weak link.

im pretty sure richie SRT10 who ran a lot of track days in his DLM monster with 930rwhp, ran an OEM clutch as well. confrim this with doug too.

Reaction score
If you are launching a lot at the track and it has good stick watch the half shafts and wheel hop, they will ruin a lot of stuff quick. With the stock/street tires the clutch will last a long time. If you plan on a DR then the amount of slippage to launch will take its toll eventually.

AZVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Toomanycars. Congrats on your Viper ownership. The car looks really nice. Good to see another Viper in Tucson. I have a 06 Blue coupe running a Paxton and a Exotic engine build by DC Performance. Eddie Martin (602-448-1587) with Bill Luke Dodge is a master Viper tech and knows the Paxton setup.Give him a call if you have any questions. I'll look for you around town.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes we will get the tune checked out and for now we are running a 50/50 mixture of race gas and pump gas to be safe. Good to hear on the rear end and the transmission. What about the clutch assuming it is stock because I don't know if it was changed or not.

I don't think you need to waste your money buying racing fuel to mix when you are just driving on the street. If you are going to get into the boost very much then I can see it but I don't get into very much boost around town, only at the track. It will easily get away from you with the street tires and that won't be good. You can look under the car at the half shafts and see if they are stock or UNITREX or whatever. If you easily smell the smell of burning clutch when you get down on it, I think you will have a stock clutch. With my aftermarket clutch I never smell burning clutch smell. With all my past 5 Vipers with stock clutch, I smelled that smell everytime I drove it hard for a short bit. My 2 cents worth......:drive: ;)

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on checking the tune. Our Paxton cars do not like to run A/F higher than 12:1 when under boost. You can make more power running it a bit leaner than that but then you risk detonation and catastrophic engine failure. Ask me how I know.

Good luck with the car. Next to my Blue/White coupe, which is my personal favorite, I always liked yellow.