>>>> SOMEBODY TRIED TO SCAM MY CAR OFF OF ME <<<<

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was posted over at the ALLEY, but I thought I might post it here in case any of you get contacted byt he same guy. My ad was in the Auto Trader, so bewar.

---

So my DLM car is arriving in 4 days, and I just so happen to "sell' my RT/10 a few days ago, sort of. So all is looking good -- extra cash to dick around with.

But, here's the deal. This guy that was buying the car saw the ad online and emails me. He represents a Canadian client that is interested in the car -- a broker, no big deal. The client was going to purchase another Viper, but it was sold, and the amount of cash in escrow was more than what I was asking for my car, however, the cashiers check would be made out for the amount they have in escrow, and I could refund the difference. FLAG #1. I decide to go along with this for now. The guy asks me to pull my ad -- I tell him no, not until funds are received. Sure enough, today I get a fed ex with a Bank Of America Cashiers check for $7K more than I was asking. The check looks totally legit, or so I thought, until I really look at it. I notice at the bottom of the check this is text that says, "HOLD AT A ANGLE TO VIEW WHEN CHECKING THE ENDORSEMENT." Notice the part "A ANGLE" instead of "AN ANGLE." I can't imagine BofA would have an error like this on their cahsier checks.

So I take it to my bank and ask them to verify -- they call the branch it was supposedly issued out of and sure enough, it was never issued. This is a fake.

The guy who sent it wants me to western union the difference (there's the scam) and also wants to set up a time to have a trucking company pick up the car. I expect they will never try to pick up the car and instead just want the wester union money, which goes to some account in Canada it looks like.

So, this all just happened. I contacted my local FBI, but nothing they can do since I didn't lose any money or the car. So ******. But if somebody 'attempts' to rob a bank and gets away with nothing, they would be all over this. Stupid. I guess these guys will continue to do this to others. No doubt they contact hundreds of people and a few of those hundreds of people fall for this, and they just keep cashing in. Beware.

-Manny

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
That bit about "send back the difference", is the basis of many rip offs. The only real money changing hands is the "difference" that you are sending back. Sometimes banks will accept a phony cashier's check, and even credit it to your account, but then only to declare it fake a couple of days later. Then your account gets frozen, and you have to make good on any funds withdrawn from the new balance. It is this time lapse while the fake is being discovered that gives the victim the confidence to "send back the difference", thinking that the check was legit. By the time the error is found, the only real money (the "difference") has already been forwarded to the perpetrator.

C5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, what a loser. There are no addresses or anything that you can find out exactly where the guy is?

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pass it on to Canadian authorities. I'm sure that they would be interested. Also contact the bank that had a fake check.

C5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There must be a way to somehow catch people like this in a sting operation, maybe somehow get the police involved, send him the $7K (could be a fake $7K) and then have police waitin gthere for him?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Find out who rents that mail box.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone just tried to pull the same SCAM on me! My wife's BMW is listed in Autotrader, and a guy gives me the same SCAM!
Thanks Manny, I knew it right when I saw it and called him out quick! After about the 4th email w/o him sending me his phone number (which I asked for every time), he is ready to send me a check and wants $6500 back via western union. NOPE, I don't want his fake check!

Is there anyone I can report this guy too?

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FBI wont do anything. Maybe you can try the secret service since they deal with counterfeit money and things like that? I didn't try that route. Was the guy you were dealing with named Ricky James?

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
Yes, call the Secret Service, if he is ready to send the check, they may be ableto do something to get him.
Also, do not use ecsrow companies, unless you personally know them. They scam by setting up an escrow company, and when called for verification, their partner answers the phone. One scammed 19g's recently.(other site)

SRT 10 2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tell those guys you wanna give them the cash difference in person, oh what fun you could have doing that

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Send the guy a pair of your wifes underwear with all the normal check details written on them, except fake account numbers. Just think of the look on his face when he tries to 'cash' your wifes *******.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine