Something strange with this car?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fraudulent or not I'd be really ticked if I had bought that "clean" car only later to have this history show up.
Remember this next time you see that great low ball eBay priced car that everybody likes to say is the norm.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know the story on this car, frankly, when the owner at the time called me to order a splitter, wing, canards, brake ducts, etc. he never said what happened and I never asked. I assumed it was an auction car like most track crashed ACR's.

When an ACR gets into a collision, the splitter and most front end parts break ...

One should not expect to buy an ACR that does not have a story or 2 behind it, any car that is made to race on a track will eventually one day go off the track and if the owner is an honest one that doesn't claim teh car hit a ditch and claim the accident on his insurance, then the car will most likely not show an accident on the title.

But that is assuming all ACRs are tracked which they aren't. I have owned my ACR for over three years and it hasn't gone near a track.

Last edited:

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But that is assuming all ACRs are tracked which they aren't. I have owned my ACR for over three years and it hasn't gone near a track.

Believe me, being a devote Viper owner myself, I am all for values staying high and for people to do what they want with their cars, but given that the ACR is a factory track ready car, I think a few of them are ending up on tracks and sometimes things happen on tracks that can result in the need for body work. If anything, this could be an enhancement to your car a non tracked car, I am sure if you ever go to sell it, "Has it been tracked?" will be one of the first questions you are asked. A seasoned buyer will be able to tell, an newbie, not so much.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Teaxas said above. This is clearly the link to the car for sale in its previous wrecked state. http://www.salvage-cars-for-sale.info/salvage/for-sale-dodge-viper-2008-OTc0MDQ0MQ It says clean title in the listing but saying the car is "like new" is a little far fetched with its obvious history

If this is the same car it is NOT an ACR. There are no holes in the front fenders where the canards would be and there are no holes in deck lid where the wing would be. The car pictured here is a coupe.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe me, being a devote Viper owner myself, I am all for values staying high and for people to do what they want with their cars, but given that the ACR is a factory track ready car, I think a few of them are ending up on tracks and sometimes things happen on tracks that can result in the need for body work. If anything, this could be an enhancement to your car a non tracked car, I am sure if you ever go to sell it, "Has it been tracked?" will be one of the first questions you are asked. A seasoned buyer will be able to tell, an newbie, not so much.

And I know some would ask why buy an ACR if you aren't going to track it? The truth? I would love to; but, don't want to shell out the money to put it back together if I wreck it. I just love the ACR versions, in fact I will buy a Gen V ACR when they come out, probably 2014.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this is the same car it is NOT an ACR. There are no holes in the front fenders where the canards would be and there are no holes in deck lid where the wing would be. The car pictured here is a coupe.

Well since both cars have the exact same vin number I just assumed they were the same car:dunno: Why in the wrecked pics it doesnt have holes for the front canards who knows probably insurance started repairing it with new front bumper but stopped mid stream. And there is def something going on where the wing goes looks like tape marking to drill new holes. Who knows? Still a nice car that Id love to own.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I actually spoke to the gentleman that had it listed on Ebay, his name is Andy. He knew VERY little about the car.:rolleyes: Here is the story I got. :dunno: Supposedly he is selling it for a dealer "friend" of his that "got into a bit of trouble" and when I asked about the history, he said his friend was not reachable as he had just been transferred to a different prison:omg::omg: and hadn't gotten phone priveledges yet. However, the time frame that he recalled the friend aquiring the car coincides with the sale date at Copart. I told him about the Copart listing and he asked me to forward him the link which I did. I recieved an e-mail soon after thanking me for the info and that he was pulling the listing until he could verify facts. He did say he would repost with proper disclosures of what he does get verified, so???:dunno::dunno: Guess we'll wait and see. :eater::eater:

Don't know the man, however I would have to give him some credit for pulling the listing when shown a discrepancy. Maybe someone that knows him better could chime in.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is definitely the same car. Same VIN as the one in the eBay listing. And it is a real ACR. You can see where the wing was mounted on the decklid and if you look real close you can see the canard holes in the front fascia as well. It has ACR wheels, brakes, and suspension. Pretty sure this could easily be verified by the VIN anyway.

OP
OP
T

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually spoke to the gentleman that had it listed on Ebay, his name is Andy. He knew VERY little about the car.:rolleyes: Here is the story I got. :dunno: Supposedly he is selling it for a dealer "friend" of his that "got into a bit of trouble" and when I asked about the history, he said his friend was not reachable as he had just been transferred to a different prison:omg::omg: and hadn't gotten phone priveledges yet. However, the time frame that he recalled the friend aquiring the car coincides with the sale date at Copart. I told him about the Copart listing and he asked me to forward him the link which I did. I recieved an e-mail soon after thanking me for the info and that he was pulling the listing until he could verify facts. He did say he would repost with proper disclosures of what he does get verified, so???:dunno::dunno: Guess we'll wait and see. :eater::eater:

Don't know the man, however I would have to give him some credit for pulling the listing when shown a discrepancy. Maybe someone that knows him better could chime in.

I would not call this con man a 'gentleman' for any reason. I contacted him thru ebay before I started this thread. My exact question sent to him on 12/22/2011 was :
Dear supercars*2010,

Why are the winglets upside down and missing the expensive countersink bolts? Why would the winglets have been removed, ever?

- texastonka

His exact answer on 12/23/2011 at 11:21AM was:
Dear texastonka,

Is there something wrong with someone wanting to put them on like that to be different.. Kinda like changing wheels, changing paint color, why didn't you ask why the car had the k&n filters on it, and why not the factory air box? Call the viper police, I'm in violation of code45326 as a viper owner you are not allowed to modify a car at all!

- supercars*2010

In short this guy is an ass. I gave him a perfect window of opportunity to tell the truth, He chose to be an ass. I wote him back immediatly with the two links I provided showing the salvaged title. I also reported the ad to eBay. So between me catching him, eBay starting an investigation on 12/23, and you calling him I am sure he will cut his losses and just sell it on AutoTrader.

If he has access to the VCA forums he should be banned. People like this make me sick.

Last edited:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is definitely the same car. Same VIN as the one in the eBay listing. And it is a real ACR. You can see where the wing was mounted on the decklid and if you look real close you can see the canard holes in the front fascia as well. It has ACR wheels, brakes, and suspension. Pretty sure this could easily be verified by the VIN anyway.

Viperless, you must have excellent vision. I can't see any holes in front fenders from canards, even with my readers on. Ditto for trunk lid, there does appear to be tape on the trunk lid but no holes to speak of. I couldn't get to the ebay listing, it was pulled before I could see it, so maybe those pictures are closer and show more detail. I can't even tell whether the rotors are ACR versions from the angle although the springs appear to be ACR as do the wheels. Either way there are a lot of questions about this car that would need to be answered before someone buys it.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bingo. His "friends" couldn't have described him any better. His chop shop in Houston missed a few things on this car.

In short this guy is an ass. I gave him a perfect window of opportunity to tell the truth, He chose to be an ass. I wote him back immediatly with the two links I provided showing the salvaged title. I also reported the ad to eBay. So between me catching him, eBay starting an investigation on 12/23, and you calling him I am sure he will cut his losses and just sell it on AutoTrader.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps even funnier was the excuse of braking hard to dodge a pelican explanation when he purposely tanked the Bugatti. That story didn't hold any water however as the video kids took of the car clearly showed no brake lights and no pelican, rather he picked a smooth drive down to the water. That story then changed to him trying to grab something off of the floor, etc.... Be very cautious of buying anything that has ever been titled to any of his entities. There is a story attached one way or another.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperless, you must have excellent vision. I can't see any holes in front fenders from canards, even with my readers on. Ditto for trunk lid, there does appear to be tape on the trunk lid but no holes to speak of. I couldn't get to the ebay listing, it was pulled before I could see it, so maybe those pictures are closer and show more detail. I can't even tell whether the rotors are ACR versions from the angle although the springs appear to be ACR as do the wheels. Either way there are a lot of questions about this car that would need to be answered before someone buys it.

I eat lots of carrots. :)

They're very faint but they're there. As far as the rear deck lid, they put a gasket between the stanchions and the deck lid. That's very likely what you see in the picture.

The eBay listing can still be viewed by searching for Viper ACR and then checking the "completed auctions" box. Copy and past the VIN into a Google search window and multiple links will come up showing the car sitting at the salvage lot for sale.

Yes, lots of questions and I would hope a potential buyer would ask them. The VIN can be run through Chrysler as well.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I know some would ask why buy an ACR if you aren't going to track it? The truth? I would love to; but, don't want to shell out the money to put it back together if I wreck it. I just love the ACR versions, in fact I will buy a Gen V ACR when they come out, probably 2014.

You dont' have too. Just get state farm. I totaled my last car at Infineon out here in Calif. i got about $400 less then I paid for the car brand new 4 years previous from state farm. State farm covers anything as long as it's not timed. I hear that maybe PA has an exception, but if you are serious and actually want to track it you should get state farm. My rates went up 0 and the viper is costing me about &77/month for $1000 deductible and full coverage.

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can get insurance just for track events..I use ontrackinsurnane, i think he is an acr owner, or infinity lockton. That way you are covered on the track.

bluegrassvet1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not call this con man a 'gentleman' for any reason. I contacted him thru ebay before I started this thread. My exact question sent to him on 12/22/2011 was :
Dear supercars*2010,

Why are the winglets upside down and missing the expensive countersink bolts? Why would the winglets have been removed, ever?

- texastonka

His exact answer on 12/23/2011 at 11:21AM was:
Dear texastonka,

Is there something wrong with someone wanting to put them on like that to be different.. Kinda like changing wheels, changing paint color, why didn't you ask why the car had the k&n filters on it, and why not the factory air box? Call the viper police, I'm in violation of code45326 as a viper owner you are not allowed to modify a car at all!

- supercars*2010

If he has access to the VCA forums he should be banned. People like this make me sick.
Sounds like this "salesman" got caught with hand in the proverbial cookie jar.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You dont' have too. Just get state farm. I totaled my last car at Infineon out here in Calif. i got about $400 less then I paid for the car brand new 4 years previous from state farm. State farm covers anything as long as it's not timed. I hear that maybe PA has an exception, but if you are serious and actually want to track it you should get state farm. My rates went up 0 and the viper is costing me about &77/month for $1000 deductible and full coverage.

How long ago was your claim with State Farm? There is an exclusion listed in the SF policy that I looked at last year that could easily be interpreted to mean damage in an HPDE situation would not be covered. If SF is not interpreting it that way, I would be breathing easier.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure this was changed and they no longer cover driver days either. I've looked around on the web as well and it seems to confirm that no major carrier covers them.

Now knowing a couple insurance claims adjusters, I know they can make a few exceptions here and there, but it appears the underwriters do not approve any longer.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this was changed and they no longer cover driver days either. I've looked around on the web as well and it seems to confirm that no major carrier covers them.

Now knowing a couple insurance claims adjusters, I know they can make a few exceptions here and there, but it appears the underwriters do not approve any longer.
I will find my policy tomorrow and report back. This was over a year ago. I believe I crashed it last august can't remember the exact date.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess we'll see what Autocheck has to say...just sent them the links to the salvage seller and the ebay auction. :rolaugh:

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive by his shop weekly. I stoped by one day to look at a vehicle he had. Well, his shop is made out of corrugated tin (very poor quality) and I was very suprised at the amount of junk he has out there. He had a ford gt which had no front end and his mechanic said it had been sitting like that for a couple of years. He does sell a lot of high end vehicles but if the buyers would look at his operation before buying anything I think they would think twice.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like it was originally sold by Roanoke Motors. I bet John Gastman knows at least some of the history of the car. He usually keeps in contact with his customers. Why no dirver's stripe I wonder? Not being an ACR owner I don't know if you could order it stripe delete in that year. Notice his ad does not mention it is an ACR only in the details he states that it has an "ACR Badge". I'm bidding $40K... :D

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like it was originally sold by Roanoke Motors. I bet John Gastman knows at least some of the history of the car. He usually keeps in contact with his customers. Why no dirver's stripe I wonder? Not being an ACR owner I don't know if you could order it stripe delete in that year. Notice his ad does not mention it is an ACR only in the details he states that it has an "ACR Badge". I'm bidding $40K... :D

I don't think VVO could be ordered with a drivers stripe. All drivers stripes were red in 2008 and a red/black/orange combo wouldn't look too good.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TexasTonka,

saw the car on ebay today and remembered this thread. Wonder if he ever thanked anyone here for getting the end plates put on correctly? But he did forget to put the rubber bump stops on the L fender that was replaced.

Gotta love a guy selling a salvage viper that says;

"THIS IS A LOW MILES 2008 VIPER ACR WITH A RARE PAINT SCHEME! NOT MUCH TO SAY HERE BESIDES THE CAR IS LIKE NEARLY NEW AND IS READY FOR A NEW HOME!

Also, this viper was sold as salvage last summer and the current AutoCheck doesn't show an accident or salvage title. think about that when you buy ANY used car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery