Soon to be new owner this coming friday and got some questions.

2kgtsacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll probably go through and change the oil and filter (already got these) but what about the tranny fluid and gear oil? What weight do I need? I see that I need .8L or 45 oz of gear fluid, .1L or 4 oz of additive and also 3.8L or 4quarts of tranny fluid. Is this correct? Also the 22,500 mile service suggest changing the air filter and plugs. Which plugs are recommended by everyone ( I know I'll probably start a plug war). Is there anything else I should change while I'm at it? Possibly brake pads if it needs it. I'm thinking I might put a new battery in it like a red or yellow top possibly.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the Viper Nation. As for batteries, most say to stay away from yellow top / red top. Sears Die Hard, Interstate, or Mopar are most often recommended. Be sure to get and install a battery acid neutralizing pad under the battery. Have a blast!:drive:

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most important, join VCA. All the help and advise you'll ever need, not to mention great people and events.:2tu:

OP
OP

2kgtsacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will do, I already met the ex president of the pa/wv chapter at a car show near where I live. Really great guy.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll probably go through and change the oil and filter (already got these) but what about the tranny fluid and gear oil? What weight do I need? I see that I need .8L or 45 oz of gear fluid, .1L or 4 oz of additive and also 3.8L or 4quarts of tranny fluid. Is this correct? Also the 22,500 mile service suggest changing the air filter and plugs. Which plugs are recommended by everyone ( I know I'll probably start a plug war). Is there anything else I should change while I'm at it? Possibly brake pads if it needs it. I'm thinking I might put a new battery in it like a red or yellow top possibly.

Get yourself a Service Manual

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will do, I already met the ex president of the pa/wv chapter at a car show near where I live. Really great guy.

Congratulations!!! Now private message your VIN# to the moderators to UPGRADE to Viper Owner for now: lee00blacksilvergts, big-n-italian, leslie, vipertony, citysnake. Any of them can help you upgrade. Then, yes, join the VCA!! 1-800-998-1110, or vipermagazine.com...have your VIN# handy~!
Look under the vendor forums, for all the listing of vendors to buy your parts from.
Most of all: ENJOY!!!! :drive::drive: ~juli

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the Viper Nation! Be sure to post pics when you get it!

At 22K, may want to "feel" the clutch. Depending on how it was driven......

Robert

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which plugs are recommended by everyone ( I know I'll probably start a plug war). Is there anything else I should change while I'm at it?

Most will recommend the stock plugs. http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/593601-plugs-use.html

Also, the Wizard recommended to me to replace the spark plug wires if they are original, due to the heat generated in the engine compartment.

Additionally, make sure that your power steering cap is cranked tight, tight !!

I'd also suggest that you change ALL fluids if you don't have specific records showing when they were changed last. Especially coolant. The all aluminum engine needs to have coolant with active anti-corrosion ingredients in it. Our respected resident expert recommends the Extended Life fluid like Dexcool. You should do a complete flush if your car has the original green type fluid that uses silicates and you put Dexcool in, or the Mopar extended Life fluid.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same car, same answers.

best answer though is to call and get to know chuck tator or tator dodge. he can help you

OP
OP

2kgtsacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most will recommend the stock plugs. http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/593601-plugs-use.html

Also, the Wizard recommended to me to replace the spark plug wires if they are original, due to the heat generated in the engine compartment.

Additionally, make sure that your power steering cap is cranked tight, tight !!

I'd also suggest that you change ALL fluids if you don't have specific records showing when they were changed last. Especially coolant. The all aluminum engine needs to have coolant with active anti-corrosion ingredients in it. Our respected resident expert recommends the Extended Life fluid like Dexcool. You should do a complete flush if your car has the original green type fluid that uses silicates and you put Dexcool in, or the Mopar extended Life fluid.

duly noted

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you decide to go with an Optima, make sure you get the new style (no top post) made for the Viper. Any other Optima will arc against the frame. Use the NEW style factory oil filter 05037836AA not the Service manual recommended MO-090. Also make sure you use the factory trans fluid, which is Castrol Syntorque, pretty much impossible to find at a local retailer. If your buying an ACR and it's a 2000, check the shocks. The early models used a KONI arrangement while the later build units used the Dynamic shocks. These shocks will tend to leak far sooner than pedestrian stock Viper shocks. If they leak and are not serviced in time it will cost you both your arm and your leg.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4