Soon to be Viper owner...

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for about 2 months or so. I want to preface this conversation that a Viper has been a dream car of mine since I was only 10 years old. Things are moving in the proper direction for my family and I which means there will be room for a Viper. I have used the search button quite frequently as I can tell is the most important part about this board. I wanted to use this thread as a recap of what I have learned are the most important aspects of Viper ownership.

1. Safety - I've learned that you need to respect what is under your right foot and more so than other cars. I have owned a cammed ls1 and have lost control of that before. I have to say that was a huge wake up call and I'm glad it has happened before I owned a Viper.

2. Join the VCA. The Viper owner who is more informed not only spends less money, but also seems happier. Knowledge can add horsepower too. ;)

3. I have to quote someone named Plum on this...."Buy a viper with your head, not your heart." Easier said than done, but my patience on getting this car will pay off.

4. Driving lessons will be of upmost importance as far as modifications.

5. The age of the tire can completely negate how much tread is left.

Now, here is where I am stuck on Vipers. I have a very strong mechanical understanding of engine performance. I work as a sales engineer in natural gas compression, so I understand complicated mapping of an EMS. What I have not been too successful in finding is a good explanation why cam swaps have not been done yet, or if they will be able to be done at some point on the Gen IV Vipers. So basically, for those who seem to be experts, do you forsee cam swaps at some point on the Gen IV Viper?

Secondly, I am looking at purchasing an '08 at some point next year hopefully, but what I am afaid of is what happened to Corvette owners in the past, at least from my point of view. There was a point where I almost bought a 2002 Z06, but didn't because of the 06. It just made the previous generation look so undesirable to me. In my opinion, I don't see this with Vipers so far due to the fact that every time I've seen one, it gives me a special feeling that no other car has, no matter what year model. Getting to my point, I'm afraid that when the Gen V comes out, I wont like a Gen IV as much anymore. The Gen V has been described as a mix of the old and new with more refinements. Quite frankly, the refinements part doesn't mean much to me, but the mix of old and new styling does, because I have wavered back and forth between a GTS and the SRT-10 coupe. What are your opinions on this?

Sorry for the long post, especially for the first one, but I figured I get out what has been building up for a while. Thanks.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for about 2 months or so. ............. Getting to my point, I'm afraid that when the Gen V comes out, I wont like a Gen IV as much anymore. The Gen V has been described as a mix of the old and new with more refinements. Quite frankly, the refinements part doesn't mean much to me, but the mix of old and new styling does, because I have wavered back and forth between a GTS and the SRT-10 coupe. What are your opinions on this? Thanks.

Welcome, and CONGRATS on going for one of your dreams. You have taken to heart what many of us have said for many years, and that made this geezer smile. Thanks.

I have seen the future. I embrace the past.

The same exact 'remorsefulness' occurred in the Gen 1 1996....and in the Gen 2 2002; and after the 2006 Coupe Excitement, the entire 2007 was scrapped for the Gen 4 debut. Now, the 2013 G4 model and pent-up demand for it will undoubtedly make it a sellout.....

I have already stated that since I am SO DANG HAPPY with my Gen 4 ACR, that on appearance alone, I would not regret the G4 purchase in favor of the refinements and drivers aids of the 2013 G5. I am inclined to think I might even wait for a G-5 ACR variant......

Live For Today ...... Tommorrow is promised to no one.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you think of the possibilities on cam swaps on the Gen IV in the near future?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
would have to be a great cam as the gen v cam is a big part of the hp/performance bump in the motor.

why do you want a cam change over other mods in the gen v?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
With the Variable Valve Timing the cam swap , in my estimation, is not something on the top burner. With the extra power over the 8.3 liter, it is not that hard to get the 8.4 pumped up to quite nice power numbers with a set of headers , exhaust and PCM.

Prefer the Belangers and Bad Boyzz Garage headers ( ACR-X ) over the others for good power, but with either of these and a PCM upgrade and catback, the results are quite nice!:2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What do you think of the possibilities on cam swaps on the Gen IV in the near future?

You TOTALLY lost me on that one.......... DON'T base your life-long Viper buying decision, Gen 4 vs. 5, on the basis of the possibility of an [un-needed] Gen 4 cam swap !!!!

OP
OP
M

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
would have to be a great cam as the gen v cam is a big part of the hp/performance bump in the motor.

why do you want a cam change over other mods in the gen v?

I would want to do the cam swap in addition to the other mods. I understand that having VVT makes the cam more aggressive than the gen III, but, and I could be wrong, a more aggressive cam than that can make more power. Especially if you weren't concerned with smog.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having seen the gen 5 concept myself I say wait until 2012 unless you can land the right type of deal... it has already been approved for production and looks simply phenomenal.

OP
OP
M

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You TOTALLY lost me on that one.......... DON'T base your life-long Viper buying decision, Gen 4 vs. 5, on the basis of the possibility of an [un-needed] Gen 4 cam swap !!!!

I completely agree with you. I will more than likely not get a Gen V, at least not right when one comes out. I only meant that I hope that a Gen V would not make a Gen IV undesirable. Again, that is a sensitive, highly opinionated subject. As I stated previously, I personally have not seen that with any viper yet. I can personally give a valid reason to own any gen viper. For instance, I could own a Gen II, and even after the gen III and IV, I would not feel any different about my car. I guess it is just the hype of the return of the Viper and it seems that Ralph Gilles is running the company with open ears and minds. In one of the other threads on here about Dodge changing durastically really makes me think that a Gen V could not only be great, but legendary. It has been stated here how the SRT group asked for opinions and feedback from you guys at VOI. I guess I just wish I knew what it looked like and that probably wont be public until next year sometime around a major auto show.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
IMHO, no different than your Z06 dilemma. If you always enjoy the "latest and greatest", you may feel frustrated if you don't own the Gen 5.

Based on those that have seen it, it will not be a "mustang II by ghia" (read: undesireable). On the contrary, it WILL be hotter looking, and surely better performing.

Keep this in mind when you make your decision.

In OUR eyes, every Viper purchase, no matter what generation, is the right choice! As long as it's the one YOU want.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that the aftermarket hasn't embraced the cam swap for the Gen IV is because of the serious complexity of the cam itself. It is actually composed of 2 pieces. One part has the exhaust lobes and the other part has the intake lobes. There is a hybraulic actuator that adjusts the degree of overlap depending on rpm and other inputs. It would be quite expensive to make an aftermarket version of it especially considering it is for a low production car.

As for whether you would have buyer remorse after getting an 08 and then seeing the Gen V come out, I disagree strongly. There is actually an opportunity to get a Gen IV at probably the lowest price for the forseeble future when people trade in for the newer one. There are many owners that love each generation Viper and buy or intend on buying one from each. Each generation has it's pros and cons and if you want to heavily mod then the Gen III and older Vipers are more simple to work on.
Good luck with your purchase.

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Personally, I am VERY happy with the purchase of my Gen I - Paid more for it (used) than I did for my first house. ;)

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quite frankly, the refinements part doesn't mean much to me, but the mix of old and new styling does, because I have wavered back and forth between a GTS and the SRT-10 coupe. What are your opinions on this?

Sorry for the long post, especially for the first one, but I figured I get out what has been building up for a while. Thanks.

Decide which body stle you like better and what you are going to do with the car... I have lusted over a Viper since they came out from the Gen 1 to the GTS and into the Gen III and IV. I think the Gen I and II's are timeless - especially with some aftermarket wheels.

I decided to start with the GTS (since it was one of my dream cars) and if I wanted to get a Gen III or IV I could sell my GTS and take less of a loss vs. starting with a later model. I love the GTS a lot more than I thought I would and will hopefully add a Gen III or IV to the garage, but I don't think I'll ever sell this car.

As far as cam swaps... most guys go with a stroker motor "while they are in there" or start with a supercharger or a full TT build.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Welcome, and CONGRATS on going for one of your dreams. You have taken to heart what many of us have said for many years, and that made this geezer smile. Thanks.

I have seen the future. I embrace the past.

The same exact 'remorsefulness' occurred in the Gen 1 1996....and in the Gen 2 2002; and after the 2006 Coupe Excitement, the entire 2007 was scrapped for the Gen 4 debut. Now, the 2013 G4 model and pent-up demand for it will undoubtedly make it a sellout.....

I have already stated that since I am SO DANG HAPPY with my Gen 4 ACR, that on appearance alone, I would not regret the G4 purchase in favor of the refinements and drivers aids of the 2013 G5. I am inclined to think I might even wait for a G-5 ACR variant......

Live For Today ...... Tommorrow is promised to no one.....

This^^^^:2tu:

Advice from a person who has owned 1 or 2 :), and makes a living out of it.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Having seen the gen 5 concept myself I say wait until 2012 unless you can land the right type of deal... it has already been approved for production and looks simply phenomenal.

OR this^^^^:lmao:, from a 6 yr member who's never owned a Viper.

Any year Viper rocks.