Sorry, another speaker upgrade thread

KevinATX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys, I have used the search and cant find a recent thread regarding exact upgrade speakers that fit the doors. Anyone out there have recommendations? Also, I read that JL 6w3's fit the rear, is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

K930

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe the 6" Kicker KS62 is a direct fit for the front. I just replaced the blown factory rears with 6 1/2" Infinity REF-6502IX units. Perfect fit.

K930

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HUGE difference in sound. I replaced the factory deck with a Kenwood unit, and removed the factory amplifier. Both rears were blown entirely. I still have the original fronts, but will likely replace with the Kicker speakers. From what I've found on here, a 6" (not 6.5") is a direct fit for the front.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sizing on the fronts is a bit of a crapshoot I think. I've just gone through this with my gen 3 and you can find 6", 6.5", and maybe even some 6.75" that will technically fit. The car had a set of Polk's in it when I bought it, but they were spaced out with an adapter ring to convert the 3 bolt stock pattern to the more standard 4 bolt. I didn't like the grilles sitting out so far and hitting my leg, so I got some stock grilles and started looking for speakers. I had a set of older 6.5" Pioneers sitting around that had the 3 bolt pattern on them that fit fine. The grille technically sat on top of the speaker flange (as opposed to the speaker fitting completely inside the grille), but you couldn't see it. They lacked low end punch though, so I just got a set of Kicker KS60's (replacement for the KS600's you hear a lot about) yesterday that fit perfect and have some more low end grunt (I've got an aftermarket amp though).

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Not sure on the Gen 2's, but you can make anything work if you really want to :D. Trying to remember what my mom's 94 looked like when I had the door panel off to install the door popper. The bigger issue is usually that the 4 bolt patterns are on a bigger diameter than the 3 bolt pattern, so you might not have enough material to drill into for new holes. If you have some speakers laying around you could try sizing them up and see what you have to work with.

s66353h

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Look at my pictures on my profile. I'm pretty sure I have the craziest stereo in a viper. Their all JL Audio speakers. Let me know if you have any questions

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I had a flip up head unit like that in my car when I got it. It got in the way of the dash vents on my gen 3 pretty bad though. Had to have it open to do anything for the most part, so I just pulled it for a nice single DIN Alpine with bluetooth and Pandora. Beautiful dash though! I just redid my mom's 94 with black plasti-dip for a temporary solution to the nasty "silver" color that is now turning green with age.

I was actually pretty impressed with the stock Gen 1 radio with some new rear speakers. I've been fighting with my car for weeks now trying to find an acceptable sound and I just put some new speakers in the rear of my mom's car and it sounded pretty dang good with just that.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
And it looks like I might be full of it on the bolt pattern thing. Was just looking at my 94 service manual yesterday and it looks like it's a 4 bolt speaker. I think a 6.5" speaker will probably still fit, but I can't say for sure. Fairly sure a 6.75" will still have too big a bolt pattern though.

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know the exact diameter of the stock opening for the tweeter in the door panel (Gen 2) to determine what aftermarket tweeter will fit without cutting?

Thanks!

OP
OP
K

KevinATX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys and the offer for the Hertz, KNG. I went with the following and will report back on fit:

Rear: Infinity REF-6502IX 6.5-Inch Speaker Pair
Front: 165A1 - Focal Access 6.5" 2 Way Component Speakers
Deck: ine CDE-HD137BT Single Din In-Dash Car Receiver/BT Plus Bluetooth Wireless Technology with Audio Streaming and HD Radio Receiver Built-In

I will measure the tweeter opening for you GTSHolgi when i install Friday night.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I have that same deck, it's a pretty slick little piece. The Pandora can be a little finicky with my phone, but I have an older phone and they have the capability to update the firmware on the deck at a later date.

kand3g

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kevin, Are you planning on using an external amp? I searched for the head unit and it appears to be discontinued. Where did you find yours? Thanks

OP
OP
K

KevinATX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kevin, Are you planning on using an external amp? I searched for the head unit and it appears to be discontinued. Where did you find yours? Thanks

Im just using the deck now and will add another amp in a little while. I got the deck from amazon. It shouldnt be discontinued as it just came out last year.

OP
OP
K

KevinATX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have that same deck, it's a pretty slick little piece. The Pandora can be a little finicky with my phone, but I have an older phone and they have the capability to update the firmware on the deck at a later date.

I watched a youtube review on the deck and noticed the same thing. Hopefully they have updated to fix that.

OP
OP
K

KevinATX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, I got the deck installed yesterday.. I have installed many head units in the past, but this one took a lot longer than expected. I was not aware that the amp in the car was a 4 channel amp and that all speakers where driven from it.

For anyone who is planning on doing this, there are two connections in the back of the radio. One supplies power to the radio and the other is an 8 pin round connector that sends all signals to the amp (remote power wire to turn on the amp, speaker signal wires, speaker grounds). There are a two pairs of 3 wires, one for the front speakers and one for the back speakers. Each pair consists of a left channel, right channel, and a ground. The easiest way to connect these to the new deck is to splice in RCA cables for the front and rear. Use the common ground for both left and right channels when splicing in. You will not use any of the speaker wires provided in the new head unit, only the RCA connections since all speakers are running from the factory amp.

The new head unit made a big difference in sound quality already, even running on the factory speakers. I will install the new speakers tonight and update again.

Kevin

kand3g

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I appreciate your update and install tips. I'm "all ears" as this will be my next project.

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kevin, have you been successful in installing the speakers in the doors? I am very curious to know, if the Focals fit without any modification.

I am also thinking to install better speakers but want to maintain the factory grille (at least for the woofer). It seems, that there is not much supply when it comes to good 6" component systems as 6,5" is the standard. That's a pitty...

So far, the only better system really fitting without modification seems to be the Kicker QS60.2. Does anyone have experience with this system (maybe in another car)?

OP
OP
K

KevinATX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry for the late response. Been very busy with work. The Focal component speaker system that i installed in the doors fit great with a couple minor tweaks that I will expand on later tonight. The tweeters fit the holes in the doors, but you need to install a couple of spacers (washers) between the door panel and the mounting bracket to pull the tweeter completely flush with the door. This is within the door panel and cannot be seen from the interior. Flush fit, look great. The 6.5's that came with the kit fit well also, but you cannot use the factory grill as the outside diameter is slightly larger on the new speakers. However, mounted with the focal gill, the look great. No additional holes needed to be cut with the exception of new mounting holes drilled for screws (4 screws instead of factory 3 screws). In the rear, the infinity speakers fit the factory hole. Factory grills are maintained since the speaker actually mounts behind the factory grill. I even installed the infinity grill behind the factory grill to prevent the rivets in the factory grill from hitting the speaker. I will take some pics tonight and post. Let me know if you have any questions and I will help out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang