Sorry, It's ONLY a GTS...

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the strangest conversation today. I live on the main drag that people from the
North-East states take to the Outer Banks. (You know who you are!). I needed to get a few things from the hardware store so...had to take the GTS:) As I'm getting back to the car from inside, a guy with out of state tags says "excuse me, is that a Dodge Viper?"
I turn and look at the big chrome emblems on the Silver bumper that say "Dodge" and "Viper", and turn back to him, resisting an urge, and just say, yes it is. He then asks if it's the "sports edition":dunno: I tell him it's JUST a GTS, and he say's oh, my son like the sports edition, but I'll tell him I saw this one, and drives off. :lmao:
That's it, I'm going on E-Bay to buy a Sports Edition!

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is quite obvious that he must have been looking for an RT/10 and your roof threw him off.. :D

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda like saying it is only a Cobra, or it is only a Ferrari. How about it is only one of the coolest american sports cars ever made.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume he was implying ACR with the term 'sports edition'....yeah, cause they look so different. :rolleyes:

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at Autozone to get oil a while back. The guy behind the counter was freaking out about my Viper. Great car! And that fabulous V12!!!

Uh, it has a V10. He looked at me like I was a fool. "You didn't get the V12?". Uh, no, it doesn't come with a V12. "Yes it does", he says.

You'd think the guy would at least check his computer before telling a Viper owner such a load of crap.

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the reverse side.

I had an 8 year old kid come running out of his home last weekend when he saw my car. He had a diecast model of a 96 GTS (mine's a 97 B/W). He had me open the doors and hood so he could compare it to his model. He then ran in and got his parent's camera. He was thrilled and the look on his face was priceless. Spent 30 minutes taking pictures of the car and a few with him in the drivers seat.

I think this kid knew more about a viper than I did.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I think this kid knew more about a viper than I did."

You made that kids' day! And probably helped him become a future car guy, and Viper owner. An experience like that will stay with him forever.

I haven't got the SE, either, just a plain 'ol GTS.

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my Viper to work a while back and one of my co-workers; a self proclaimed car guy, asked me if it has the 6 or the 8!!!!!:omg: I replied no it has a 488 c.i. V-10. He got really quite after that!:lmao:

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the reverse side.

I had an 8 year old kid come running out of his home last weekend when he saw my car. He had a diecast model of a 96 GTS (mine's a 97 B/W). He had me open the doors and hood so he could compare it to his model. He then ran in and got his parent's camera. He was thrilled and the look on his face was priceless. Spent 30 minutes taking pictures of the car and a few with him in the drivers seat.

Good Story, you made that kids year!! I love when I see little kids, I always wave and say hi. That's one of the best parts about owning the car.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the first "Is this the V12 version?". And after explaining how they are all V10's and some history, both argued they have a friend whose dad has the V12 version. This coming from guys in their 20's driving a STI was sad.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at Autozone to get oil a while back. The guy behind the counter was freaking out about my Viper. Great car! And that fabulous V12!!!

Uh, it has a V10. He looked at me like I was a fool. "You didn't get the V12?". Uh, no, it doesn't come with a V12. "Yes it does", he says.

I always find the pyschological motivation interesting as to why people find it necessary to argue with you about YOUR car. :dunno: It kind of reminds me when people ask me for directions and then want to argue/correct me about them. I mean, why ask me in the first place?
:bonker:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It can be a bit tiring to listen to some telling how they like the GTS better.. I usually just agree, and say if I'd like to have both the RT/10 and a GTS.. but coming from the source of the opinion, they don't own either.

It's self inflicted though, owning a unique vehicle attracts surprising feedback from strangers. I had a H1 Hummer before the days of the H2, I wanted to tape a FAQ paper on the window... yes it does get bad mileage, yes it is hard to park, yes it is too wide, no I'm not rich.. I was at an average hotel one night on vacation, woke up in the morning finding my H1 plastered dripping with fast food pop & cups, yet I've never been a ****.

You can only expect negative and positive experiences with extraordinary vehicles, I try to focus on the good ones, always returned with a wave or thank you.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It can be a bit tiring to listen to some telling how they like the GTS better.. I usually just agree, and say if I'd like to have both the RT/10 and a GTS.. but coming from the source of the opinion, they don't own either.

I like the GTS better!!!! :D Just funning with you. I have a GTS, but the day will come I have a RT/10 car also. I was actually beating Ebay to death last couple days looking at them. Especially after looking at ROADKILL's thread on his car.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the reverse side.

Dear Kmrumedy,

Nice job, that kid will someday be a member of the VCA; you never forget those moments when a dream of seeing a car comes true and the owner shares your love of the car....especially if he's got pictures to remember that day by.

Regards,
Aaron

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These are all great little tales so I'll go ahead and add a couple of mine.

1. Go to Checker to buy Mobil 1 and a filter.

employee asks, "Why do you have two cases? Stocking up?"

me, "no, my car will use most of this and I carry the extra with."

employee, "why do you want an extra 7 quarts? No car leaks that bad."

me, reluctantly divulging the fact that I am a Viper owner, "it's for my Viper, it takes that much."

employee, "yeah right, a Viper huh?"

me (pointing to bright red GTS in front of the store), "yeah"

employee, "oh.....wow. well no way it takes over 6 quarts."

me, "well my boss' does and so does my buddy's. Mine did last time I changed it so..."

employee, "no way, you must have overfilled it."

me, "well I guess you know best, I'll just hold onto the extra case for next time."

employee, "so do you want another filter?"

me, "nah, I think I already have one in the shop."

2. Hanging out with my car buddies at our weekly meet at Sonic.

Guy bumming for a beer, "daaaaaammmmnn, these are some nice cars."

us, "thanks man."

GBFAB looking at my GTS, "wow, this thing is nice. I don't even know what this is."

me, "thanks, it's a--"

GBFAB, "this a Vette or Camaro?"

me, "............................................."

GBFAB, "It's a Camaro huh?"

me, ".............................yup."

GBFAB, "I'm trying to get a beer, got a dollar you can spare."

me, "no man, sorry. I put all my dough into my Camaro."

GBFAB, "yeah I would to. Later guys."

us, "bye dude."

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A chick once called my car "a POS import". She said her Cavalier was just as nice and looked better. She wasn't drunk. Dumb. But not drunk. It'd be better if she was drunk, at least then she'd have a good excuse for being dumb lol.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:boozer: Can I ask a question? Do I have the Sports Edition?

It's funny to see the cars with a "Sport" decal / emblem, if the manufacturer has to tell you it's a sport, does it really make it a sport? It's not like a Viper or Corvette needs to have a "Sport" decal / emblem..

:eater:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny to see the cars with a "Sport" decal / emblem, if the manufacturer has to tell you it's a sport, does it really make it a sport? It's not like a Viper or Corvette needs to have a "Sport" decal / emblem..

:eater:
Ha. Until you read into what GTS and SS stand for.

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just being the wise a_ _ that I am, I placed a HYBRID logo on the rear of my "99 ACR. I've never receieved so many interesting looks & finger pointing...."Too funny"

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the first "Is this the V12 version?". And after explaining how they are all V10's and some history, both argued they have a friend whose dad has the V12 version. This coming from guys in their 20's driving a STI was sad.

I had a guy ASSURE me that they all came with V12s...i guess he couldn't count the intake runners:omg: