Source for red valve cover paint?

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm interested in getting some OEM red paint for touching up the valve covers. Anyone have some or know where to get it?

Bob K

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bob,

I asked this question about a year ago. Apparently, it's been discontinued. There might be some people that still have some but are most likely not be willing to give it up. What I was told was that there are some paints that are very close to it. Don't remember the brands though.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a can at home and will check the brand and part number tonight. It was a high temp paint that I got through Auto Zone. Ended up trading the car and never really used it, but I do recall that it matched very well.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not a problem. Take a cover to Lowe's or Home depot and they can do a color match. I recommend you use the matte finish although it won't matter much after your motor catches fire.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dupli-Color High Heat (DH1608 High Heat Red) - Imposible to tell the difference

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the dupli-color stick pretty well? I had heard it was tough to get paint to stick to the valve covers. I bought a new set because my old ones were scratched to hell by previous owner, and when I got head gaskets done by the dealer, they chipped my new ones.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is like a lot of paints that require multiple light coats about 5-10 minutes apart, or you have to wait about 24 hours to recoat. If you spray and then repaint when the coat is in the semi-hard state that is when you have the problem. You can make a cover look like new with very little effort. You can use a 200-400 grit sand paper to dress the bad areas before painting. I use laquer thinner to prep the area before painting.