Speakers in GTS hatch?

Jerry Horton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know when they moved the "subwoofer" from the upper console to the rear of the hatch? Also, I can't really tell what size the speakers are in the back. I thought they were 6.5", but they could be 8". Thanks in advance.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That graphite is a great looking color, Jerry.

The GTS's have always had the speakers in the rear hatch and the RT/10 in the center console, so that would make the first appearance of the rear speakers in the hatch at 1996. They are definitely not 8" unless something has changed for 2002.

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, 6.5" and they are eager to be replaced if you're so inclined. MB Quart, Infinity, and others make some great 6.5" speakers that project the high-tones much better than the muffled cone speakers that currently reside in the snake. If you like a "crisp" sound I recommend the MB Quarts and if you want bang-for-the-buck you might look into Boston Acoustics.

Another bonus is that the speakers are connected to the amplifier, making a simple swap all that much easier. In other words, you don't have to worry about adding more driving power to the speakers unless you add non-powered subs.

OP
OP
J

Jerry Horton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jorge, The 2002 Graphite is just a bit darker than the steel grey of 2000. I would have picked the steel grey, but I wanted ABS.

kernie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by monster:
Just installed this past weekend, Boston Acoustic 6.5 Two Way Pro Series in the doors, Boston Acoustic 6.5 2way RX67 in the rear,
and a self powered Kenwood 8" tube in rear. All wired to the stock amp accept for the 8" bass. Sounds Great.

00 blk GTS

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How hard was it to install the bass tube. Were you able
to splice into the existing amp connectors or did you
have to run new wire to the receiver?