Special Notice: VCA Gratitude to the U.S. Military

Vipergtsbob

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
SPECIAL NOTICE RE: VCA GRATITUDE & U.S. MILITARY

VCA MEMBERS & VIPER ENTHUSIASTS (THIS IS A VERY LONG POST, BUT PLEASE READ ON):

This past weekend, VCA Vice President George Farris and I had the honor and sheer thrill of attending the 2007 Viper vs. Viper event held at Luke Air Force Base in Arizona. This two day event occurs every two years and was advertised with invitations to the entire Viper Community. Over 160 VCA persons attended with 70 Vipers. Our Dodge SRT brothers were also there in force. Despite having organized and/or attended dozens of VCA events over the years, I was totally unprepared for the scope, impact and indeed, meaning that this event had on all who attended.

Simply stated, the U.S. Air Force puts on an air show unlike any other in North America. We were thrilled to see close up demonstrations of practically every major war plane, fighter jet, transport, helicopter in our ample arsenal, including F-14s, F-15s, Strike Eagles, F-16s, F-22s, B-1 bombers, huge Galaxy transporters, Apache helicopters and on and on. A new Stealth B-2 “flying wing” bomber even buzzed the crowd to the thrill of teary eyed Americans. But this is only a portion of what you see and feel. You also got to meet, speak to and hang out with dozens of U.S. Top Guns, pilots, crewmen, support personnel, not to mention dozens of military airborne troops (who demonstrated their night and day precision skydiving).

Oh, and by the way, I forgot to mention that with all the above going on, the U.S. Air Force also takes time to stage a match race between an F-16 Viper Fighter and two of our own Vipers, piloted by our own DCX terra firma pilots, Herb “Grail Keeper” Helbig and super designer Ralph “Voodoo” Gilles. And guess what? We won the first race!! In the second, the U.S. Air Force requested to use and, in fact, needed to use full after burners to beat our screaming Viper by a mere 600 feet!

But we are not done yet. Add to the above, midnight Viper driving on Luke runways, parties with the fighting men and women, great goodie bags, music and the camaraderie of a couple of hundred viper fanatics.

Friends, now I get to the good part. As we all know, the VCA is a special group of people who have often shown their hearts for charitable events. As a result of our participation in this event, we raised $53,300.00 for the Luke Air Force Base MWR Fund. This worthy organization takes care of the families of our service men and women when they are fighting to protect the United States. Benefits can include food, clothing, family support and even Christmas gifts from soldiers who can’t be here to see their children’s faces during the holidays. These funds wee raised via charitable contributions of both Dodge/SRT, VCA, event entry fees, and from online and onsite auctions of unique items (much thanks to SRT, Jon Brobst, Parts Rack, Belanger Headers, HRE Wheels, Corsa, Random Tech, and all our wonderful vendors who donated items for us).
Now the part that left me literally shaking. General Jones, Commander of Luke Air Force Base and the 56th Aviation Wing United States Air Force presented US, the VCA with an award in appreciation for our donation. To the extreme contrary, it is the United States Air Force and the entire military that needs our gratitude. I felt unworthy until soldier after soldier came personally up to me and thanked the VCA for helping their families when they need it most (break to compose myself).

Ok, I’m back. Friends, this event demonstrated to me how much of a sacrifice our soldiers and their families make to keep us all safe. Never, never forget them in your thoughts and prayers.

Lastly, although many worked very hard to make this event successful, a special VCA debt of gratitude is felt to former former VCA National President Tony Estes and current Southwest Zone Director Marv Spatz. These men worked tirelessly to get this event organized and executed, and when you think about all the work/approvals needed to simply get a track day, getting the Pentagon and Military to grant permission to be an mutual participant in such a memorable event on an active Military Base!.

If you want to know what makes this Country great, go to an event like this.

God Bless our fighting men and women, the VCA community and all our families.

Bob Carroll
VCA National President :flag:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like this is turning into a V.O.I. rival :cool:

"including F-14s"..

Negative Ghostrider the pattern is.. well.. empty :( Goes to show how that kick-ass jet got burned into everyone's memory.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is there to say but

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND THEIR FAMILIES!!!

And Kudo's to all the VCA folks who attended and showed what a great car club this is...I know it's HARD work to put something like that together and make it run smoothly.

OVERBOOST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me just say that it is far and in between that we get appreciation for the job that we do. Especially from the civilians that live around the base. Thank you for the gratitude. Its people like the VCA members reminding us that what we do does mean something. Thank you once again. :usa:

SSgt Joshua Roundtree
USAF

Tony Estes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob thanks for great write up about the weekend. I have been involved in the Honorary Commander program at Luke Air Force Base since 2001. It has been my pleasure to put together the Viper vs Viper event all four times and God willing I hope to keep the event going in the future. The VCA to date has raised over $150,000 dollars for the MWR Fund.

I can't tell you how many Airmen who have approached me over the years to thank the VCA for their donations to the MWR Fund and how it has helped their families. Each year the airshow gets better, the Viper vs F-16 race is a crowd pleaser and the Viper Corral is always surrounded by fans.

I would like to personally like to thank the VCA National Board for their continued support of this event and Marv Spatz who spends hundreds of hours helping me make this event better each year.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew this was going to be an amazing event and i wish I could have made it. What could be better than Vipers and and Airshow. Hopefully I can make it to this amazing event in the future.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang