Sport cups vs ps2

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what I have read so far, the sport cups are a better tire than the ps2's in the wet and dry. and the 285 and 345's will work and fit just fine on my 99gts. Does anyone have cups out there?? Can anyone tell me the differences. I know the ps2's come in 275 and 335.

I'll be using them for street use. I just want the best high perf tire for the wet and dry.

Reaction score
The cups are a great tire but they are a competition tire and will be a bit soft for the street. They will cut easy and wear rapidly. If they don't wear out the tread they will heat cycle out and get hard (have no grip) so be careful if you choose this route.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned both and driven on both.

PS2 tires are best in the wet.
Sport Cups don't have enought tread depth to work well in standing water.

Sport cups are sticky when you get some heat in them, but are not that great when cold. When heated up, they are better than any street tire on dry pavemetn.

I can't really recommend running Sport Cups on the street as your daily driver tire, although they are a good street/track tire for those of us who drive to the track rather than trailer our cars to the track. The Sport Cups wear better than other track tires I've used (Kumho 700s)

The reason I wouldn't run them on the street is that you will seldom get them up to optimal operating temperature on the street, and they will wear out much more quickly than the PS2. The Sport Cups are also more prone to puncturing and road damage.

For track use, they are great. For street driving, I'd stick with the PS2.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Kai, thats a great summary and exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll be getting the ps2's

I hope that Kai can even feel comfortable in providing good advise AND suggest a place to order your tires !!!!!!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DUNN tire in WNY.$1490.00 USD including new stems,mounting and balancing,road hazard waranty,nitrogen fill,tire disposal fee and sales tax. Set of 4 PS2's. Order ahead.I got mine at the Hamburg NY shop. about 2 miles from my house.Customs wll never know the difference.GTS Bruce

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope that Kai can even feel comfortable in providing good advise AND suggest a place to order your tires !!!!!!

You're right. Jon B rocks. I buy all my tires (and wheels) from him. For that matter, he's the first person I call if I need anything for my Viper.

(I really should put this in my signature.)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DUNN tire in WNY.$1490.00 USD including new stems,mounting and balancing,road hazard waranty,nitrogen fill,tire disposal fee and sales tax. Set of 4 PS2's. Order ahead.I got mine at the Hamburg NY shop. about 2 miles from my house.Customs wll never know the difference.GTS Bruce

call jonB or partsrack for pricing. i seem to think he beat that price for me and if i add in balancing and all, its still cheaper i think. not to mention he supports the vca and us viper owners.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ditto what Kai wrote.

PS2's for the street.

Call JonB for tires and wheels.

Dan