Squeak coming from driver rear wheel?

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure it happens all the time but I really hear it when I am going slowly through a parking garage, I can hear a squeak coming from the rear driver side wheel. Every rotation equals a squeak, anyone have any idea what it may be? Something that may require some lubrication? I honestly don't know where to start.

Thanks

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best guess is your e-brake pads. Especially the inner one.

It's an awful design on the Viper and they tend to "stick". Not as in the e-brake or the light won't go off, but it just kind of "hangs" and rubs against the rotor. If you're hearing a squeak, it could be starting to get to metal on metal. Pull BOTH back wheels and check the e-brake pads. The inner tends to wear faster. Inner and out are identical, so if you keep an eye on them, you can swap them to keep them from wearing out so fast in the future.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I second towdawg.......replaced my ebrake caliper and the inner shoe was shot............fast forward 3 years and it's doing it again.
To test yours, just pull up the brake some when you hear the sound and c if it quits squeaking.

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where can I order these pads? Is it same replacement as a normal brake calipers?

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
where can I order these pads? Is it same replacement as a normal brake calipers?

No offense but you may just want to take it to the dealer.

The ebrake caliper is Much smaller than the rear brake caliper. Which if you look you would be able to see the brake shoes are not even close to the same size. I'm sure the dealer will be able to order you the shoes if you decide to tackle it

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done my own brakes on all my past cars but they never had a separate parking brake caliper, I don't feel like overpaying for pads at a dealer, does anyone have a part number? I found it on viper parts of america for about $95 per side.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not a bad price, but check with Paul Scharf also. I think I paid him about $120 for both sides. With all the stuff I've bought for this car though, I could be mistaken. :)
It blew my mind when I had to buy a set, considering my real brake pads weren't much more than the e-brake pads.
The other crazy thing is, the e-brake pads are more of a PITA than the regular pads to change too! Go figure.

Not that it's hard, but the regular pads are almost laughable at how easy they are to change.

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You may want to pin down the cause before ordering parts...e-brake high on list...but, main rear caliper needs to be considered along with bearing.

Paul has about everything that can/has been removed from Vipers...unbelievable selection of usable used parts.

Blue Blurr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2010 at that started at 4000 miles. I never use the e-brake so how could it wear out? Also under the circumstances could this be a warranty issue? Would appreciate your opinions before I talk with my dealer. (my dealer is a good guy, but fore warned is fore armed as they say.

V

Venomiss

We hope you talk with Ivan ** the President of the VCA South Florida region or David Ivler the VP.

They can fill you in on the VCA and information on where to look and about club.

http://www.viperclubsfl.org/