Squeal like a pig!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my Viper is making a squealing sound (like a brake squeal) at really low speeds (e.g., coasting in a parking lot) which isn't due to braking or the parking brake being on, doesn't happen when stopped or pick up the pace some, and doesn't sound like a typical belt squeal. So what is it?

V10BAT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe try braking very lightly,or pull up the hand brake slightly,just to see if the sound changes.
This may zero in on whether it is coming from the brakes,if you know what i mean.
You could also try a few hard stops,clean up the rotors??:2tu:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my Viper is making a squealing sound (like a brake squeal) at really low speeds (e.g., coasting in a parking lot) which isn't due to braking or the parking brake being on, doesn't happen when stopped or pick up the pace some, and doesn't sound like a typical belt squeal. So what is it?

sounds crazy but some times when ur brakes are getting low,they will sqeel the low brake detector(if they got one)while at a coast,and stop when u brake..its the first stage of low brake pad syndrom. not to say thats ur problem though,but i have seen this before happen..:dunno:

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe try braking very lightly,or pull up the hand brake slightly,just to see if the sound changes.
This may zero in on whether it is coming from the brakes,if you know what i mean.

This has been over several days, so I've braked and used the hand brake repeatedly during that time.

You could also try a few hard stops,clean up the rotors??:2tu:

I'll try that, just to be sure ;)

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds crazy but some times when ur brakes are getting low,they will sqeel the low brake detector(if they got one)while at a coast,and stop when u brake..its the first stage of low brake pad syndrom. not to say thats ur problem though,but i have seen this before happen..:dunno:

My pads seemed to look pretty good about 500 miles ago, when I got new front tires put on, so I doubt it is those.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, if any of you guys are looking for Christmas gifts for your wives or girlfriends, I am a diamond and jewelry wholesaler. I can hook you up with great deals (extra discounts for VCA members) and it’s a good way to justify the purchases you make on your four wheeled mistress! Call me 1-800-553-9357

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAlrighty then! :hijack:

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey John, could be a wheel bearings. I have to re-torque mine every year or two.

Does the noise go away if you make a turn one way or another?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey John, could be a wheel bearings. I have to re-torque mine every year or two.

Does the noise go away if you make a turn one way or another?

Hopefully wheel bearings. Could also be trans, diff, etc. Not enough info for diagnosis, but I'd jack up the wheels and sin them to see if I could find/hear the squeal first, then go from there.

Ted

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully wheel bearings. Could also be trans, diff, etc. Not enough info for diagnosis, but I'd jack up the wheels and sin them to see if I could find/hear the squeal first, then go from there.

Ted

Doubt it's the trans/diff, I changed those fluids myself a while back and are only coming due again soon. I'll try that out if nothing else seems to work. If it's the wheel bearings, what's needed to be done?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After driving you can touch the wheels near the hub? When the brakes are dragging (caliper seized, etc.) the heat builds up and should be felt from a distance. If the wheels bearings are gone then the friction from that should transfer heat from the hub to the wheels. Those are easy checks to do.

If your wheel bearings are gone that's not too pricey. If they've been gone for awhile and damaged the hub and the spindle, that's expensive. jtsbud had all 4 control arms and spindles for sale last year. partsrack for parts will help.

Ted

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it only some of the time? Mine makes a squeak squeak sound after it is driven a couple miles. Only noticable at low (parking lot) speeds. When I bring it to a shop it stops. Frustrating. Mechanic looks at me like Im an idiot. Have put it away for winter since without solving the problem. Im curious if its the same thing. Sound is coming from the rear of the car.

Brad
finally got my VCA number

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it only some of the time? Mine makes a squeak squeak sound after it is driven a couple miles. Only noticable at low (parking lot) speeds. When I bring it to a shop it stops. Frustrating. Mechanic looks at me like Im an idiot. Have put it away for winter since without solving the problem. Im curious if its the same thing. Sound is coming from the rear of the car.

Brad
finally got my VCA number
if u have a 08 and a little miles,u may want to (bed the brakes) look it up on a search,they come new on these cars pretty true,but my right rear did it for about 500 miles and then quit.i did not bed my brakes due to no good time and hiway to do it at the time of me driveing it.not to say that is ur problem.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if u have a 08 and a little miles,u may want to (bed the brakes) look it up on a search,they come new on these cars pretty true,but my right rear did it for about 500 miles and then quit.i did not bed my brakes due to no good time and hiway to do it at the time of me driveing it.not to say that is ur problem.

Sorry for not giving more info::dunno:

It was after installing EBC Redstuff pads and new factory rotors, I was gonna change back to Mopar pads anyway as these pads squeal on decel, but Ive tried with the handbrake partly on, and squeezing brakes a little with no change.

Brad
2005 Comm Ed SRT-10

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for not giving more info::dunno:

It was after installing EBC Redstuff pads and new factory rotors, I was gonna change back to Mopar pads anyway as these pads squeal on decel, but Ive tried with the handbrake partly on, and squeezing brakes a little with no change.

Brad
2005 Comm Ed SRT-10
the handbrake wont help,get the car up to about 90 miles per hour(seriously)and brake the car until it comes almost to a stop,dont brake to harsh,but not too easy,do this about 4 or 5 times,u will get brake fade upon doing this and that is what u want,it seems like ur abuseing your new brakes but your not,they will even smoke a little.after this your problems will be solved.your rotors should after this be a blueish and bronz color.:)

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the handbrake wont help,get the car up to about 90 miles per hour(seriously)and brake the car until it comes almost to a stop,dont brake to harsh,but not too easy,do this about 4 or 5 times,u will get brake fade upon doing this and that is what u want,it seems like ur abuseing your new brakes but your not,they will even smoke a little.after this your problems will be solved.your rotors should after this be a blueish and bronz color.:)

forgot to mention this,,,,,its called bedding the brakes

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, I did a few hard brake checks and the sound appears to have gone away! Maybe something got on them for the few days the car was not being driven while I had to get a new battery?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32