Squeeling Noise ! Source ?

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a high pitched squeeling noise that happens b/t 2250-1750 rpm when the engine is coasting down through its rev range. I have a 97 GTS. I suspect the belt, but its fairly new. Of course it wouldn't do it when I had the car in the shop 2 weeks ago. After VIR, its back with a vengence. Doesn't the belt have an "automatic" tensioner so it won't get loose ? It feels snug to me. Could it be the power steering pump ?

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope this isn't it, but remember the guy who posted recently about his bearing going bad and failing on rod #3? He said the noise it made before it went out sounded like a belt screech. Hope this isn't it. It could possibly be a bad bearing in something else, like the tensioner, ac compressor, etc???

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by USAF BAD ASP on 07-31-2002 at 08:55 AM</font>

OP
OP
R

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
USAF,

Sure hope it's not a bearing in the engine ! I'm going to try and locate it more exactly and repost.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
it could just be as simple as your belt. Sometimes the belt gets glazed and squeals a bit. Kind of sounds like a supercharger. When I had my 1994, it did that and it whistled. many people thought it was supercharged..kind of cool!

Clifton Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
USAF,&lt;P&gt;Sure hope it's not a bearing in the engine ! I'm going to try and locate it more exactly and repost.&lt;P&gt;Thanks for your suggestions.&lt;P&gt;

RockyTop,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? I have the same problem with the squealing starting at 2500 rpm to about 4000 rpm. Figured it was the belt but it is less than a year old with 3K miles on it.

Thanks,
Charles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte