SRT/10 engine going to Arrow for rebuild

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone have any observations/recommendations about an Arrow rebuild (under factory warranty)? I have heard through the years that their rebuilds are a little stronger than the factory made it when new. Is this true? Thanks!

OP
OP
F

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Eagles. Can you tell me how much more h.p./torque it dynoed after the Arrow rebuild? Too much horsepower is never enough!

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
via phone call to Arrow they claimed the rebuild dynoed at 559.7hp and 609.4tq. I have never verified those numbers independantly.

eagles

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are crank numbers. Mine gen 2, dynoed like 488 at the crank and 526 tq. or so.. but in the end, the car turned a much better time at the track. Think I gained 2/10s of a second consistently with the new motor over the old one. One thing I gotta say, Arrow builds a hellova strong motor. ITs almost a good thing to blow your motor, if Arrow is building it under warranty.

My ACR 02 would do 11.50's all day long at like 125mph on oem street tires, with just full exhaust and T&Ds. Do mostly inpart to the Arrow Rebuild.

Go Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrow.

Jon

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have had one done also, look at it like this at CAAP they build 40 Viper engines in one day. At Arrow they take a week to build up and then "run-in" and then dyno(bench) test each engine. The build tolerences used by Arrow are tighter than the factory. Also when you get your engine back you will NOT need to do a "break in " oil change at 200-300 miles. The engine has already had a fresh fill and then got dyno tested, then the motor is drained for shipping. You get a fresh fill when they reinstall in you car.

OP
OP
F

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can anyone accurately convert the crankshaft h.p. and torque for the SRT/10 Arrow rebuilt Viper motor to FLYWHEEL h.p. and torque? In the alternative, can anyone accurately convert crankshaft h.p. and torque to REAR WHEEL h.p. and torque? Inquiring minds want to know....Thanks.

OP
OP
F

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
4th rod bearing failure, which is probably the most common failure for Viper engines. It has something to do with the fact that this is the rod bearing which is the Last bearing in the engine to receive oil from the pump. My car was driven by a DC bigwig in its infancy, and must have been dogged out. I bought it used with about 10,000 miles on it, but with the remainder of the original 3yr/30,000 mile warranty. My car only has 17,000 miles on it, and I've never tracked it or raced it since I bought it last august. Go figure....

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was fortunate to be introduced to and to spend a quite a bit of time with one of Arrow's principals at VOI.9 and learned a lot about how they conduct their business and the detail and care that goes into every engine they build. Other than the down-time for a warranty rebuild, I'd be real happy to have one.

OP
OP
F

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My engine has a slightly spun rod and only slipped slightly when fully warmed up and reved lightly above idle speed, or upon light accelaration on the highway, so I doubt there is very much damage--just enough to need rebuilding by the Arrow team. They should receive it by Monday (it's being trucked to them instead of airfreighted, for some poor reason. I've already spoken to them and they have only a 3 week turnaround, with airfreight return. I've been in withdrawal for 2 weeks already, and might have to take nitroglycerin pills for the next 4 weeks till I get it back. Todd tells me they will dyno it for two hours and that I'll be able to track it as soon as it arrives, if I want to. Some people recommend running it like I stole it at first, but others say pamper it till it has 500 miles on it. What break-in do you guys recommend after my Baby comes home to daddy?