SRT-10 lifters problems

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I drive my 2003 SRT-10 almost everyday in the summer when its not raining and nice out, can't drive it in the winter! Its bone stock, and I know how to drive having had a lamborghini diablo, porsche 911s, and I currently own over 15 vehicles as I own an exotic limo company. I don't race at all an just use it as a summer car. So a few weeks ago I'm driving the viper and it seems like its having problems above 4000 rpms and the exhaust sound is extremely loud. I stop at a gas station look around at the engine don't notice any leaks or anything unusual. Start it back up, its running fine. Well last week the probelm happens again, this time in any gear above 4000 rpms it will not climb any more RPMs. So I take it into the dealer Falls Chrsyler in Cuyahoga falls where they always take good care of me. They tell me its the lifters, and Dodge told them to replace them all. Heres the problem: they don't have any in the whole country! And worse to boot that this is becoming more well known on alot of SRT-10s. So they tell me there is no ETA on the parts and it could be months and to take it home so nobody messes with it while its sitting at the dealer. Which is fine. Now in Ohio in 2 more months is SNOW! So does that mean I don't get to drive my viper for the rest of the year because Dodge doesn't have its own parts in stock on a becoming more common problem? So I have one of my secretaries call Dodge to tell them I want a replacement vehicle, maybe another viper or something nice to have until they get their own parts in. Get this: The viper Dodge/Chrysler's more expensive car doesn't come with a rental policy, but alot of their other cars do. We explained to them how we just bought 3 new chryslers in the last 2 months, (new 300 limos) yet thers nothing they can do.

So beware of Dodge's customer service and owner loyalty, cause when theres a problem don't expect them to help you at all! So I guess I'll just be sitting here for who knows how many months because of Dodge's problem, we the owners are the victims!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Nothing new, I had to go after market with a clutch due to Mopar Parts problems.

No lifter issues though.

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well from the response I got in another forum. There was a recall on the valves/lifters in 03, and I'm the one that gets punished because of their problem.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a recall regarding exhaust valves, which were replaced at no cost. Plus, your car is still under warranty at this point in time. If they can't fix your car because THEY don't have the parts, I'd push the issue on a "rental".

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can anybody find me information on the valves recall? I'm guessing it wasnt an offical recall but a problem, because when I search online all I can find is the recalls on the Exterior lighting headlights, and the fuel system. ?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was intake valves. And the problem was a missing back angle (non contact area on the underhead of the valve). The ONLY effect was slightly reduced power. And as was stated above they were replaced. How lifters and valves get mixed up ...

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GR8,

Is it possible that the previous owner (I bought it in spring of 04 with 5000 miles) never had the valves fixed and now they broke off or open and there is a severe loss of power especially above 4000 rpms?

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pteam, I'll bet there are some great aftermarket lifters out there for this car. There is a chance those lifters are used on other engines. No real performance thing about factory lifters. I'm willing to bet the lifters are on the market. Since they are roller lifters they are fairly expensive, but not to bad.

I think you should call Crane, or Comp, and there's a good chance they have these lifters. The dealer wouldn't do this for you if your life depended on it.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PTeam, by the way, I never heard of roller lifters acting this way. Are they saying several lifters are collapsing, and then they occasionally pump back up. Strange, I've not heard of this. An occasional sticking lifter. They will have an annoying tapping sound, and can actually stick enough to not operate a valve, but what your talking about just doe's not seem right. Doe's the engine have a loose sound in the valve train. That's what sticking lifters would tend to do.

Strange, very strange.

What weight of oil are you running? Not 20-50 by any chance.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
pteam- Yes, I have to agree with Skip- this does not add up. In order for a condition to occur where the engine will not climb- IE- not getting enough airflow in or out, would require that at least TEN of the TWENTY lifters be completely collapsed. I absolutely DO NOT see that happening, unless there is something severely wrong with the oil or oil flow in the engine. If you have good pressure and are running 10W-30, 30W, 5W-30, 0W-30 or 0W-40 oil, this rules that out.

It sounds much more to me like the engine is having an exaust flow problem, prehaps a damaged Cat- though would make 10x more sense than what you are describing. Also, if you had 20 lifters collapsed, you likely would have pushrods laying in your oil pan, not to mention the car would sound like someone dumped marbles into the crank case-which I didnt see you mention.

Let us know what happens.

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Skip and Final GTS,

I just got the viper back today, a month and a half later. They called me last week said the valves were in on Monday, took it in. Then they sent the heads out to be looked at... Final GTS you were somewhat right, they replaced one of the exhaust manifolds along with a slew of other stuff: Valve springs, valve guides, tappet-HYD. roller, NPN Spec hydl, gasket pkg-engine upper, screw-hex flange head, plug, oil/ filter, coolant, replaced ALL valves (their notes say: grind and/or replace), replaced catalytic converter/ muffler assembly-left AND right, machine valve job.

Here are their notes:
Lifter leaking down checked fuel pressure (good) checked for poor spark (good) ran injector kill test and only cylinder 1-3-5-7-9 would not kill or have RPM drop. Performed leak down test on those cylinders only had 4 percent leakage performec compression test on involved cyl noticed on bump test rocker would rise up after compressing valve. Called star center to get case started, ordered all new liftesr and gasket kit. parts on back order. Returned to customer but not to drive due to possibly more damage. removed both cylinder heads and gaskets, replaced all 20 lifters, installed new head gaskets and had cylinder head machined due to burnt exhaust valves on left bank, torque to specs, refilled coolant and changed oil, found left and right bank convertor coming apart especially the left bank cat molded temp was too high, replaced both cahts and reinstalled side panels.

I wonder how all this could have happened? All I do is spirited driving in town to my offices and such. Hope all this info is helpful to somebody in the future!

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I put my VIN number in on Dodges website to check and see if "Recalls" are done, I cant really remember the exact page. If nothing comes out does that mean no recalls have been done? I bought my 03 with 3K on it, how can I find out about this recall thing for sure? Let me know fellas.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
pteam- What you posted looks to be a definite exhaust flow issue. The fact that all systems checked out, and the Driver side showed no RPM drop points to something that would be related to an entire bank. In an SRT, the only system that involves an entire bank is the exhaust system, and injector wiring. Intake manifold, ignition, fuel, etc are all shared systems. Having lifters fail completely on one side of the engine with no oil system issue is virtually impossible without an outside cause. The "Rocker rise" could have been cause by excessive exhaust pressure popping the valve back open. it can happen, but only with a damn near completely plugged cat.

Also, to back it up, I experienced the same things when I had a converter breaking down on my own car- short of the 4000RPM cut-out. But then again, the day it failed, I was taking it very easy on the car anyway... so I really dont know for sure on that one.