SRT-10 Rear Diffuser Blades on GTS (Pics)

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to buy a rear diffuser, but most of the ones out there are to large for a street car and are very pricy. So I decided to buy a set of diffuser blades from a SRT-10 and put them on my GTS. You can't buy the blades new by them self, it comes with the entire black under pannel and runs about $350. I bought mine used from Paul Scharf 800-338-4002, they were $80. To install them first bend the tabs on the top over, put some double sided tape on the tabs to hold them in place, stick them up, drill holes and pop rivet them on. I think this is a cheap mod and it looks great.

Patrick

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's very nice! I love the diffusers on the Gen3 and have also looked into them for the Gen2 with the same results. This is a very nice compromise. Yours would look very nice red. I just might have to do this too. Is Paul local to you, and if not, did the $80 include shipping? Thanks for the update and info.

OP
OP
P

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's very nice! I love the diffusers on the Gen3 and have also looked into them for the Gen2 with the same results. This is a very nice compromise. Yours would look very nice red. I just might have to do this too. Is Paul local to you, and if not, did the $80 include shipping? Thanks for the update and info.

Thanks, I thought about painting them red, but I like the contrast of them being black. it was $90 shipped. He is not local to me, he is located in South Eagle River, WI.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing that bothers me is that the tabs are all bent the same way. I would have bent them so that the right side bent out to the right and the left side out to the left. That's just my ACD coming through. Otherwise it looks good.

Bob K

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing that bothers me is that the tabs are all bent the same way. I would have bent them so that the right side bent out to the right and the left side out to the left. That's just my ACD coming through. Otherwise it looks good.

Bob K

OCD (obsessive composilve disorder)? right, not ACD ?

BTW, in the gen 3, those fins actually screw up into a metal brace thats on the other side of the body piece. Did you get those too?

Jon

OP
OP
P

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bob K

They are the same way on the SRT-10 and I did not want to brake the tabs. You cant even see the tabs unless you are under the car.

Knight Viper- This is what a rear diffuser is for:

A diffuser, in an automotive context, is usually a shaped section of the car underbody which improves the car's aerodynamic properties by enhancing the transition between the high-velocity airflow underneath the car and the much slower freestream airflow of the ambient atmosphere. It works by providing a space for the underbody airflow to decelerate and expand so that the boundary between the car's airflow and "external" airflow is less turbulent, and it also provides a degree of "wake infill" (the wake being a turbulent area of low pressure that is caused by the passage of the vehicle through the air; this can cause pressure drag).
As the air enters towards the front of the car it accelerates and reduces pressure. There is a second suction peak at the transition of the flat bottom and diffuser. The diffuser then eases this "high velocity" air back to normal velocity and also helps fill in the area behind the race car making the whole underbody a more efficient downforce producing device by reducing drag on the car and increasing downforce.
The aft part of a car underbody can be a diffuser. It tries to connect the underbody to the back without producing turbulences so that Bernoulli's principle applies and the pressure increases while the velocity decreases. The side and the roof end in a sharp edge, so that their pressure does not increase. Because the pressure in the back tends to equilibrate, the pressure below the car is lower than on the side and the roof of the car.
Note that the front of the car slows down the air without a diffuser making this the ideal place for an inlet. But a diffuser reduces the pressure in front of the car and thereby the amount of air pressed below the car. Sometimes a diffuser is used to let the wheel-casing also pump down the pressure below the car. Many small engine-exhausts in the back also help pumping. The exhaust from the engine compartment in the underbody can blows the air outwards by means of convergent nozzles, which reduce the pressure from the high pressure in the compartment to the low pressure below the car (the nozzle is the inverse of the diffuser).

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks really nice, just wondering what some of the other guys have said.

Could those tabs be bent the other direction on the right side?
Are they held in place by anything other than the rear fascia?

...Im interested in them, but considering maybe welding something up myself.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a diffuser panel off of an gen 3. (after reading this post, thanks pattymelt) The part came with the carbon fiber "belly pan" that attaches to the car, the fins attach to the "belly pan". The fins are already bent. I will attach the fins to the car similar to Pattymelts photos. The diffuser with fins and bracket were $120.00. (local so no shipping) My car is currently in the shop getting some work done and I will post some photos when I get it back.

OP
OP
P

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a diffuser panel off of an gen 3. (after reading this post, thanks pattymelt) The part came with the carbon fiber "belly pan" that attaches to the car, the fins attach to the "belly pan". The fins are already bent. I will attach the fins to the car similar to Pattymelts photos. The diffuser with fins and bracket were $120.00. (local so no shipping) My car is currently in the shop getting some work done and I will post some photos when I get it back.

Post up some pics when you can. :)

Mine are just rivited to the bumper, they are not going any where. I like the way the tabs look.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pattymelt,

You need to clean up your car and garage!:) :)

I think that the mod looks great. I don't have the patience to read your entire explanation of what a diffuser does!:drive:

DrDJ

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you align it so that it's straight along the body? If you have any angled away from the air flow you're gonna create turbulence.

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like your "stealth" license plate! I didn't know that you could ask for NO NUMBERS!!:lmao:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bob K

And that the exhaust clamps arnt even..........LOL:omg: :omg:

Looks great:2tu: :2tu: Here we go more dam money to spend:D

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Looks great on a GTS. Also, I believe The Viper Store sells Stainless Steel Pieces that glue on. (I have them on my 06):2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave 6666 built a rear diffuser plate and bolted it to the rear of his GTS. There should be an Illustrated Upgrade on it.

I agree, extremely easy to built out of thin aluminium.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not very difficult. I used some 1/4 X 3/8 bumper cover pop rivets to fasten them...

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have cf blades being made if anyone is interested

Probably more than I'd want to spend considering the cost of what they can be made for out of aluminum, but would you mind sharing the cost of the CF blades?