SRT 10 VENOM 600

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary,

I just got the word that a Venom SRT10 layed some serious numbers down at the track today. :eek:

Look for a post with the details soon.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming there was no hidden bottle - 10.4 on ET Streets out of a "mildly" tuned SRT/10 is a huge statement about where they are heading. I use the term mildly as being relative to the potential left untapped yet.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming there was no hidden bottle - 10.4 on ET Streets out of a "mildly" tuned SRT/10 is a huge statement about where they are heading. I use the term mildly as being relative to the potential left untapped yet.

NO hidden bottle - all motor car. Times were done by a driver/writer for a major car publication.

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was my understanding that the car which ran the 10.44 today was much more than "mildly" tuned.

JPH said it is a 522 stroker with hand ported heads...it did run that time through the cats though.

I believe the power numbers mentioned were in the 580 range.

Just goes to show that the SRT is a better drag chassis than the RT/GTS platform.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car ran extremely hard - my problem is this...

Not trying to start smack - but the usual calculators say 587rwhp is good for 133.5mph on a weight of 3150lb. That would be with the driver in it.

An SRT10 weighs 3357lb as quoted in specs - add driver and helmet etc - say 3550lb race ready... to go 133.5mph would take 660rwhp. It made 587rwhp.

What am I missing here?

Is the power calculator wrong? It works for the older cars.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LPE GenII stroker cars are deep in the 10s.. So where's the advantage for the SRT-10?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an observation, the et's don't make any sense if you look at the 60 ft times and factor in the hp. The only way to get those times with that hp was to have sub 1.5 60's.

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LPE GenII stroker cars are deep in the 10s.. So where's the advantage for the SRT-10?

I guess we'll have to wait until LPE starts doing SRTs to find out, won't we? LPE is a top-notch shop and I suspect that they will be able to pull more horsepower out of the SRT (NA) than does Hennessy, and for a lower price. Obviously there is no evidence to support this yet, but I think their 540ci SRT will be tickling the 9's all-motor. This is if they get back into Viper tuning that is, which I hope they do.

Wouldn't that be possible with ET streets and a very good launch?

Yes, but the 60' times weren't that low. 1.67 seconds on ETs. It think the incredible torque curve is what is allowing those times with such a low peak HP.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still don't understand how a car with only 50 more HP and slightly lighter with light mods nails a 10.4 at 134.... :confused: Maybe another 20hp and it will nail a 9.9x?

Gerald

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
50 more hp than what? The Venom SRT was making 140 rwhp more than stock, or are you comparing it to something else?

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe someone has a time slip to post

Rohn I could do better than that and post a link to a vid but most of the link will just be nuked anyway. As before, you guys now where to find it. ;)

How about I post an 8 sec slip from my dragster and we call it even? :D

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Rohn, I don't have any timeslips to post...

The quoted numbers are from the magazines radar based data acquisition system. The magazine article should be in the December issue of Motor Trend which should be available around the first of November.

I drove the car from Houston to/from Austin yesterday for a Viper dyno day. The car ran fine with the AC blowing cold air the whole way there and back. Coolant temperature stayed within a needle width above the 200 mark on the guage when stuck in the horrible Austin traffic with the AC blowing full blast cold air. On the road the coolant temp dropped to the mark under 200 on the guage. The weather conditions were typical mild summer weather in the low to mid 90's.

The car put down 589.0 rwhp and 596.9 rwtq on pump gas. It looks like the SRT-10 computers may pull timing with heat like the Gen II's did. They made two dyno runs and the second run lost a little power and torque. The car still was a little hot for the first dyno from the drive to Austin.

It was nice to see a confirmation to the previous dyno of 587 rwhp on a different dyno. The rwtq was above 500 from the beginning of the pull, 2700 rpm, until 6100 rpm.

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John
even I keep the slips, post the movie version. The radar based data acquisition system does what that the trap w/ slip won't (a question). Why not a time slip vs the radar? Would have been something to hang on the wall "the first 10 sec. srt-10"

Then with a shot or 200 or 300 you should be about where do you think?
Good luck and keep it together but next time keep the time slip.
Rohn
PS: I still do not understand why the seagulls picked your Viper out of all the ones in the lot, what was that about, did you hit their brother and they followed you from the beltway?

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must be losing it in my middle ages...I just read that article this morning and it said with the Venom 600 SRT/10 that he did 0-60mph in the 3.6 second range and 11.6 (or maybe it was 11.4) second range for the quarter mile. Never saw (or that I can remember) anything about being in the 10's for the quarter. What am I missing here, folks?

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you are missing is that the Venom 600 package in the Car & Driver article is a heads/cam/exhaust package that was tested three months ago. That's due to the lead time needed to get a story in a major magazine.

And you also have your numbers screwed up... My copy of Car & Driver has 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 11.4 seconds.

The 10 second runs you are thinking of came from the Venom 650R package that includes a stroker motor. The new performance numbers for the Venom 650R will come out in the December or January issue of Motor Trend Magazine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960