SRT-10 vs Some exotics(high-speed test)

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found this on another forum. Is some sort of European high-speed test featuring some exotics. Our beloved Viper was included in the test but we got beat. It really was some tough competition…..$$$$$$$……

Anyway you can see it in the chart (the only picture I found).

You must be registered for see images

Personally I’m more interested in some road course numbers. It could be really nice to see the Viper against these exotica.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they knew how to drive, the Viper should have at least beat the Vanquish.

well it did in up to 250km/h then the Viper didn't reach the 300km/h mark

now go bush up on your German... or whatever language that is :D

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, it just goes to show how much the Viper's performance has fallen behind the competition. I would love to have seen this type of comparison ten years ago to see how the Viper stacked up to it's competition during that time period.

Two things I noticed: The FGT and ZO6 were dead even to 250 km/h, then the FGT pull away. The second things is just how fast the Veyron is. :eek:

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the Viper still like half as much (or less) than a lot of these cars???

heh

Well, this just goes to show that the American machines are really up on top of the competition around the planet!!

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they saying the Viper wouldn't hit 300kph (186mph)? I Don't believe that for one second. Seems they used a different source for the viper numbers and the supplied data didn't include a run to 300. If thats the case, then you would have inconsistencies due to different drivers, pavement, temp and humidity, etc...

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's always going to be a faster car. The Z06 was built for the sole purpose of beating the Viper, but it did it at the expense of reliability. I wouldn't take a Z06 if you gave it to me because they are garbage; I don't care about a few tenths in a quarter mile. As for the rest of the cars tested, when was the last time you saw a 5 year old Ferrari with 85,000 miles and how many peolpe use their Lamborghini as a daily driver? The Viper is nowhere near as fussy, and people with a little mechanical ability can work on it themselves. I guess for the super-rich that's not an issue, but to scrubs like me it means a lot.

People like Parris Hilton that are obsessed with being in the spot light buy expensive cars for publicity, and then never drive them to their potential. My 10 year old Viper is more car than I can use, so why pay $100,000 to $1,000,000 more for a car that delivers basically the same performance and doesn't look half as good?

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would happily take a Z06 if given to me just to trade in for an 08 Viper. I call BS on the SRT 10 not making it to 300kph.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's always going to be a faster car. The Z06 was built for the sole purpose of beating the Viper, but it did it at the expense of reliability. I wouldn't take a Z06 if you gave it to me because they are garbage; I don't care about a few tenths in a quarter mile. As for the rest of the cars tested, when was the last time you saw a 5 year old Ferrari with 85,000 miles and how many peolpe use their Lamborghini as a daily driver? The Viper is nowhere near as fussy, and people with a little mechanical ability can work on it themselves. I guess for the super-rich that's not an issue, but to scrubs like me it means a lot.

People like Parris Hilton that are obsessed with being in the spot light buy expensive cars for publicity, and then never drive them to their potential. My 10 year old Viper is more car than I can use, so why pay $100,000 to $1,000,000 more for a car that delivers basically the same performance and doesn't look half as good?

You can use whatever perspective makes you feel good about the car you drive..But the bottomline is the Viper isnt on the level of "most" of those cars there....This line kills me:

"so why pay $100,000 to $1,000,000 more for a car that delivers basically the same performance and doesn't look half as good?"

You think the Viper offers "basically" the same performance of the Veyron, Ferrari, Lambo, FGT or SLR? :nono: I cant take you seriously after that....6 of the 9 cars there will hand the Viper its ass in a straight line and 5 of 9 will kill it dead on a roadcourse..Thats life...Dont get so emotional about it..Just because the Snake aint top dog doesnt mean its isnt an incredible exotic machine...Im am a Viper addict thru and thru but the only cars on that list I'd take the Viper over is the Vette and maybe the Porsche. Yeah sue me I'd take the Vanquish over the Viper even if the Snake will kill it..

bigerc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they knew how to drive, the Viper should have at least beat the Vanquish.
It should have at least beat the vanquish were my thoughts exactly.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they used a viper with a ragtop. the coupe has a much better CD. as a result the vipers #'s suffered. not fair at all because none of the other cars in this test were verts

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
I raced a brand new 911 Turbo, and it was a close race!!! I was impressed, I thought I'd beat it easy.

I was too busy keeping my eyes on traffic and on the road, but we were dead even from 50 to 130...

Cheers!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
they used a viper with a ragtop. the coupe has a much better CD. as a result the vipers #'s suffered. not fair at all because none of the other cars in this test were verts

Not the case in the SRT. The Vert and Coupe are almost identicle. it is .40 vs. .39 Cd. On the other hand, the coupe is HEAVIER than the vert by 50-100 pounds, depending where you look up the info.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off there haven't really been any favorable tests that I've seen of the Viper in Germany so far.
The Autobild tests of the SRT-10 Viper on the NRing and acceleration are terrible, and they don't mention that they were done on a wet track by someone inexperienced with driving the Viper. For comparison Motor Trend got 1-200KPH (124MPH) in 11.8 seconds, which is a pretty big difference.

The only tests where I've NOT seen the SRT-10 Viper be able to hit 186MPH were those with short tracks.

Finally, only people who never own cars like this actually compare cars without regard to price.
In Europe the Viper's price advantage is not as great as it is here as they nearly double the price that we pay here overseas. :eek: And considering the pricey company in that comparison (Z06 excepted) the Viper does quite well in that group. And not mentioned is the fact that the Viper's braking and handing is also comparable to many of the impressive European high performance cars there. And from my view, having the local Viper dealer add a Paxton instantly brings the Viper up to being quicker than many of the $$$ cars listed there (and for under $100K). :laugh:

With that said, it does highlight the fact that among factory stock high performance cars the Viper has stood still a bit too long, and slipped somewhat compared to the top European cars. So hopefully they will come through with the 600HP+ 2008 model to raise the Viper's performance status up once again.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not the case in the SRT. The Vert and Coupe are almost identicle. it is .40 vs. .39 Cd. On the other hand, the coupe is HEAVIER than the vert by 50-100 pounds, depending where you look up the info.

i did not know that their CD's were so similar. the ford GT's CD is .39

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a ford GT with twin turbo's built by heffner was recently tested by car & driver magazine. the mag says it was making 800 hp. i assume that is rwhp becasue they tested it from 0-300 kmh and it made the trip in 17.5 seconds. that is quicker than the veyrons 18.2

SRT10_SWISS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Europe the Viper's price advantage is not as great as it is here as they nearly double the price that we pay here overseas. :eek:

Sorry, but you are talking BS!!!

The actual price here is 116K Swiss Francs, it's about $ 93,334 !!!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the Ferraris numbers. It walks away from the Z06! I know it has 100 more HP, but the car weighs 3600+lbs. Power to weight has to be very close.

Also notice that the Viper is rated 506 PS and the Z06 is rated 512 PS. Seems like the rear exhaust on the euro model 'detunes' the Viper a little.

PS X .986 = US horsepower?

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can use whatever perspective makes you feel good about the car you drive..But the bottomline is the Viper isnt on the level of "most" of those cars there....This line kills me:

"so why pay $100,000 to $1,000,000 more for a car that delivers basically the same performance and doesn't look half as good?"

You think the Viper offers "basically" the same performance of the Veyron, Ferrari, Lambo, FGT or SLR? :nono: I cant take you seriously after that....6 of the 9 cars there will hand the Viper its ass in a straight line and 5 of 9 will kill it dead on a roadcourse..Thats life...Dont get so emotional about it..Just because the Snake aint top dog doesnt mean its isnt an incredible exotic machine...Im am a Viper addict thru and thru but the only cars on that list I'd take the Viper over is the Vette and maybe the Porsche. Yeah sue me I'd take the Vanquish over the Viper even if the Snake will kill it..

LOL you should talk to some of these exotic owners about reliability. Frankly I am surprised the Ferrari or the Lambo made it around the track once without braking down. :D

The fact of the matter is the Viper is a steal compared to these Exotics. Where else are you going to find a car with the performance, reliability, looks, rarity, etc. for under 100k?

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm perfectly content with my 10 year old GTS. At a recent autocross I was 2 seconds quicker than the Ford GT, and of the 2 almighty new Z06 vettes the fastest was 4 seconds behind. I've driven an SRT-10 coupe, and it is far superior in every performance department. It's a phenominal car, and if the Viper did bad on a road course it's because someone doesn't know how to drive. Is the Veyron faster? Yes, but it has twice the horsepower and costs 10 times as much; I would expect it to be.

I'm on the strip in Vegas quite often and see exery exotic imaginable, and I can tell you without a doubt NOTHING gets more attention than a Viper. It's a basic, simple car, and it's brutally fast without the help of turbos, superchargers, AWD, HUD, massive weight reduction or paddle shifting.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Europe the Viper's price advantage is not as great as it is here as they nearly double the price that we pay here overseas. :eek:

Sorry, but you are talking BS!!!

The actual price here is 116K Swiss Francs, it's about $ 93,334 !!!

The quoted sales prices that I've seen for a new SRT-10 Viper in Germany are 110.000 Euro and 280.000 Euro in Denmark.
And it's priced over $300,000 AUS in Australia.