SRT Battery Cover, Info Please!

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone found a replacement for the bolts that hold down the battery cover on the SRT 10. The ones that came with the car are almost impossible to remove without a great deal of effort and time. The hex insert also strips quite easily. I have looked for bolts that have a socket head but had no luck in locating the right size or thread size. Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
RICK

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick, I've been there twice now. Those bolts are hell to remove. The reason they are this way is to prevent them from coming loose. If they were standard design, they would not stay in there. That part of the car flexes a great deal and being a flat surface as it is, they would come loose. This design was very much intentional.

You must use an electric screw gun, and it better be fully charged, or it will not get them all out and back in. The only other setup would be to use bolts and nuts with lock washers. This part of the body on the Viper twists or we may say flex's a great deal, and the cover would come loose if it were not this way. I think the back end of the car has this greater flex in it, due to the fact the SRT doe's not have a dual rail frame to tie it in, and the stiff suspension really throws a lot of pressure into this part of the body, (twist/flex).

I took them out by hand and it wore me out. My wrist was sore the next day. Next time I used my screw gun, and it knocked a fully charged battery down. I then used my cordless drill on it.

OP
OP
V

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip, thanks for the info I will keep that in mind and use a cordless drill. It almost looks like the screws they provide are the wrong threads for thr clip they go into.
When I got them out the threads were really mangled.
I just may go to Bolts nuts and lock washers, at least I know I will get them out when I need to.

Thanks
Rick