SRT Brake pads

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need to replace my SRT's two front rotors and get new pads. Will use for street only. No track.

Been very happy with stock pads, but am getting advice to consider putting on EBC Ceramics (Red). Little less expensive, and maybe little less dust.

Has anyone had experience with the Reds?, or any other advice would be appreciated.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not recommend the red stuff ceramic pads unless you really brake really hard. The greenstuff pads will work quite fine with no squeal. The reds tend to squeal a little bit unless you replace the rotors. The stock rotors can not be turned but have to be replaced. EBC also makes a very good dimpled and slotted rotor which is both fine for the street or the track. You can see these on my web site at the address below. I hope this helps.
Robbie

http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're only driving on the street, I'd go with the Greens. They stop just fine and produce very little dust. They do squeak sometimes, but not much. The stock rotors, although really heavy, are great for the track or street, and, at about $125 each, are cheap too.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless EBC has changed the compound since I used reds a couple years ago, I wouldn't recommend them for street or track. Greens would be better for the street. I run them even though they have poor stopping power. All EBCs have poor stopping power IMO.

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the Greens for awhile but the squeaking is getting to me. It is not horrible but when you pull up to a stop light/sign and it squeaks, not cool. They do cut down on the dust some what. The stoping power is not nearly as great as the stock. I will be putting on the stock ones back one this weekend. IMO

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can tolerate the dust - I would go back with stock. They are a fine mix of quiet and performance and they ARE the pads that stopped this thing from 60 MPH to 0 in under 100 feet. Why muck with THAT?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Concur with the stock comment. I changed back to stock after a recent track day (from Brakeman 3's). I can deal with the dust (get dark wheels :) ) but cannot handle the squeal.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The squealing is caused by putting the new EBC pads on a used rotor. DC says you can not turn the stock rotors. I really do not see why one can not just skim them on a car with less than 5000 miles. Also if you get some NAPA anti squeal compound and put a thin layer on the back of the pads they will not squeal.

NAPA PART$ 091444 CRC DISC BRAKE QUITE

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I did put on the green pads I did put on brand new drilled/slotted rotors and squealed like crazy at first then got better now squealing again. They are not a bad pad I am just not content with them now.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats really weird. Mine only squeal at the point of when you are just about stopped when they are really hot, say 1-2 mph. Did you clean the new rotors with brake cleaner before and after you installed the rotors?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we are mixing up types of pads. My squeal comment was directed toward Brakeman 3 pads. They squeal (like a banshee) but stop like crazy and handle track temps well.

The greens I had on my RT/10 had terrible cold and only marginal warm braking. I would never have put them in a hot track position - they would have just disappeared.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about the mix up. Greens are ok on the street but I would use red pads for auto cross/street racing. For all out racing I would go with the Yellow pads by EBC which are made of Kevlar. I run the red pads on the street year round and live with the little squeal you get just before the car stops. I have never known of a race car who's brakes did not squeal.

Robbie

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The squealing is caused by putting the new EBC pads on a used rotor. DC says you can not turn the stock rotors. I really do not see why one can not just skim them on a car with less than 5000 miles. Also if you get some NAPA anti squeal compound and put a thin layer on the back of the pads they will not squeal.

NAPA PART$ 091444 CRC DISC BRAKE QUITE

Sorry, but it has nothing to do with used rotors. I have the EBC Red Ceramic pads on new EBC rotors and they squeal just before the car stops. I may try that NAPA stuff ...

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been doing brake jobs for over 40 years and I am also ASE certified in all facets of automotive repairs. The truth is that when you buy new rotors for a passenger car brake shops like to skim then so it reduces the chance of brake squeal. The Napa product does work. You should also lubricate the calipers where they mount with NAPA SL3303 CRC BRAKE CALIPER GREASE.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been doing brake jobs for over 40 years

Not to hijack this thread but have you ever seen a warped rotor? The reason I ask is because the Stoptech site had a tech page saying that warped rotors were a bit of a myth.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your looking for less dust, I have been NOT happy with EBC greens lately. I believe they may have changed the compound a few years ago. While they may emit slightly less dust, it no way compares to the EBC greens I put on my 01 GTS back in 02. Since then I have put EBC greens on two other Vipers and have been extremely dissappointed with the brake dust factor. I e-mailed EBC and asked them if they changed the compound over a year ago, but did not receive a reply. I might be checking into Porterfields or someone said Mintex and Axxis have low dust pads.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hwere is the answer to your statement above. the EPa made all brake pad manufactures get the asbestos out of their pads a few years ago therefor the compounds are different today and not better.
GREEN STUFF PADS = ORGANIC COMPOUND - NON ASBESTOS
RED STUFF PADS = CERAMIC COMPOUND
YELLOW STUFF PADS = KEVLAR COMPOUND

I hope this helps,

Robbie

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes it helps and other times it does not depending on the design of the caliper. What it does is form a barrier where when the pads vibrate, hence the squeal, you do not hear it.
Robbie

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got an SRT-8 Cherokee about a month ago. They come with the same Brembo compound as the Viper, i.e. horribly messy. I had Porterfield R4S pads on a previous car and loved them so I got a set for the Truck. So unbelieveably clean it is amazing, and from my experience before and so far this time around utterly silent. Braking power is slightly less when cold, improving when heated. I am sick of my dirty stock pads and it has been almost 10k miles since they were installed, and I think the slightly less braking force of the R4S pads will be great for threshhold braking my non-ABS car, so today I called and order Porterfields for my Viper. I cannot believe the Viper world is not big on these pads. The S stands for street by the way. The R4 pad is a race pad and will eat your rotors.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Go with the stock pads. They are Brembo and work very well as an all around pad.

The Greens don't stop very well IMHO.

Dan

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those interested, I received a reply from EBC regarding the increased dust of the later greens compared to the greens of a couple years ago. They said the compound was changed because 1 in 10 customers were complaining of shimmying.

So, I'm looking for a different pad. I might try the Porterfield RS4 as PhoenixGTS mentioned. Anyone had any low dust luck with Rotex, Hawk, or a ceramic pad?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might try the Porterfield RS4 as PhoenixGTS mentioned. Anyone had any low dust luck with Rotex, Hawk, or a ceramic pad?
I had Hawk HP+ pads on a car before. Fantastic braking power but very messy and very noisy - pretty much the same experience as the stock Brembo pads in a Viper.