SRT Chat HERE on March 18th!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again the folks from SRT have generously offered to host a chat here for Viper owners (and prospective owners) on Wednesday, March 18th, 2009. It will take place here from 6:00 - 8:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time (that's 5:00 Central, 4:00 Mountain and 3:00 Pacific).

Now this is your chance to chat directly with SRT employees about the Viper platform - be it old or new. Just understand that ALL questions about future product (anything beyond the 2009 model) will be ignored if not deleted by our moderating staff first. Chrysler/SRT personnel are strictly forbidden from commenting about future product, so don't waste your typewriting. Our moderators will be standing by and will delete without warning - other than this one. ;)

Given the short notice, we would encourage you to start posting questions here immediately. Our web staff will consolidate those questions into one reply before the actual chat starts and SRT will review them beforehand as well. As stated above, we reserve the right to edit or delete those questions that SRT cannot answer due to company policy.

We look forward to your questions and seeing you here on the 18th!

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this is fair-game question or not - but here goes anyway. I've got a GTS Blue ACR on order, and I want to get a matching GTS Blue ACR driver's stripe for it. I've heard that Prefix can do it, but I'd be forced to go out to Detroit to pick the car up myself or have it shipped out to me. Either of those options aren't really desirable for a number of reasons. Is it possible to have Prefix do the stripe and have the car go back to CAAP for final delivery to my dealership as usual?

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this is fair-game question or not - but here goes anyway. I've got a GTS Blue ACR on order, and I want to get a matching GTS Blue ACR driver's stripe for it. I've heard that Prefix can do it, but I'd be forced to go out to Detroit to pick the car up myself or have it shipped out to me. Either of those options aren't really desirable for a number of reasons. Is it possible to have Prefix do the stripe and have the car go back to CAAP for final delivery to my dealership as usual?

+1 For my SSG ACR...We are paying for delivery and it has to go to Prefix anyway to get its AERO parts so whats the problem..?
Also can you ask if there is any news on Dodge releasing body colored drivers stripes for each color..? Kevin

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read that the Saleen plant that we were invited to during VOIX in now under new ownership and they will no longer be painting new Vipers. Can you tell us who will be painting Viper body panels when 2009 production resumes? Also, will the paint process be the same?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations as far as upkeep for the convertible top for an 2004? Aside from the cleaning, I am curious about lubrication, type and where to apply. I do get some noise from the top behind the passenger seat and at the attachment point on the drivers side.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another -

Recently my car has been in storage for roughly 10 weeks due to a move. I did start and drive it about 5 weeks in but nothing since. I do have a battery tender on it but curious whether I need to do anything in particular upon the next start up.

The last time I started it after 5 weeks or so it struggled to idle for the first 5 minutes or so but after a drive it seemed fine.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Tom

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any plans to take an ACR back to the "ring" and have some more fun?

Any companies doing reasearch for a runflat tire for the 2008-09's?

Was there ever any research/thought or wind tunnel testing for a convertible ACR?

Do you recommend and lubercation for weatherstrip rubber molding?

OEM brake pads that dust less?

I might store my car for a few months any recommendations on what to do? Battery tender?

Most satisfying accomplishment for the current engineering team?

Is the ACR really a few tenths slower in the 1/4 mile due to the areo package?

Last edited:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of us who are still on the fence anbout the new Mopar controller for 2008+ Vipers, what is your opinion of using octane boosters on a regular basis to achieve the 93 octane rating recommended with the ECU?

Here in Oregon we have 92 octane at the pump. According to manufacturers like NOS, adding one bottle of their race formula octae booster should be enough to bump octane from 92 to 93 in a roughly 16 gal fuel tank (adding the booster to a near empty tank and then filling up the tank with 92).

Would you use octane booster or are there risks involved (clogged injectors, catalytic converters etc)? Thanks for your feedback and for making a great car.

/Rich

Last edited:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should '08 owners have any expectations that any of the controller changes made for '09 become approved for use in an '08. I gather that the changes border on unnoticeable, but I'd still like the opportunity to utilize even the slightest improvements.

I have been told that "backwards compatible" changes of this nature would require extensive government recertification. Is this the case?

Thanks in advance.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the CAAP reopening on March 30 as talked about and how long will it take for cars already on order to get delivered? Do previously ordered cars take prescedence over non order cars in the build sequence? Thanks.

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been researching the reduction of the oil additive ZDDP in all the new motor oils due to new regulations that catalytic converters need to remain effective beyond 100,000 miles of service. Mobil refers to the additive as Phosphorus in their spec sheets. What I have found is that the new levels (~800 parts per million) are about half of the old levels of (1600-2000 ppm). This reduction has wreaked havoc on some older engines with flat tappet cam designs and some engines in racing applications. I've noticed that the new recommended oil for Viper (Mobil 0W40 Euro formula) has more Phosphorus (1000 ppm) than many of the other Mobil 1 products. Mobil also just announced a new synthetic racing oil with phosphorus levels back in the range of the good old days (1750 ppm). My question is, would our Viper engines (particularly the 600hp Gen 4 with the cam-in-cam technology) benefit from oils with higher ZDDP/Phosphorus levels? Also, does the reduction in the additive level have anything to do with Dodge's/SRT's recommendation not to start a GenIV Viper if the temperature is 32 degrees or below? Of course, I understand that oils with higher ZDDP/Phosphorus levels than currently allowed for emission controlled vehicles would be for off road use only.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One other quick question: In the Summer 2008 Viper magazine article "From street legal to track regal," author Matt Bejnarowicz on page 15 recommends "[f]ill[ing] the engine with Mobil 1 15w-50 for extra protection under higher stress conditions * * *" in the 2008-2009 ACRs.

I have a 2008 Viper convertible that I take to approximately 8 to 10 HPDE events/driving schools per year (not races or timed events). The events are typically single day track events with 4-6 run sessions lasting from 20 minutes to an hour per sessionwith 15 min - 40 min breaks in between sessions. The track events account for about a third of the vehicles' usage with the remainder being normal street driving. I am in the Pacific Northwest where temps are typically fairly mild (no lower than 20 degrees generaly in the winter and no more than 100 usually in the summer).

Would my engine (which is stock internally) enjoy extra protection using the 15w-50 Mobil 1 as opposed ot the factory fill 0w-40 Mobil 1 I have used exclusively thus far? Would there be any disadvantage or risks performance or wear protectionwise to using the 15w-50? Would it be adviseable to use the 15w-50 during the track/HPDE "season" (April through October) and then switch back to 0w-40 for the remainder of the year?

Engine oil is a frequently-debated issue on this (and other) forums and I wanted your expert opinion. Thanks for your help.

/Rich

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR's that ran on the 'Ring had racing bucket seats installed, what brand and model are those? Why did SRT swap the stock seats out if the 6 points can hold the driver just as snug as the racing buckets?

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
who is painting the panels on the 09 cars when caap opens up at the end of the month?

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just noticed on the Tirerack website that the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 is now available in 295/30/18 size. When the PS2s on my 2008 convertible wear out, would there be a distinct benefit to using this new size over the OEM 275/35/18 size? My reasoning was that the ACr uses this front size but that is with the Sport Cups. Any dangers in using this setup such as dialing in too much oversteer? My main concern would be using this set up for track/HPDE events. What say you? Thanks.

/Rich

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question is; what is the weight of the ARY option for the verts front splitter with hardware and the rear wing with hardware. Thanks.

Eagles

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just noticed on the Tirerack website that the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 is now available in 295/30/18 size. When the PS2s on my 2008 convertible wear out, would there be a distinct benefit to using this new size over the OEM 275/35/18 size? My reasoning was that the ACr uses this front size but that is with the Sport Cups. Any dangers in using this setup such as dialing in too much oversteer? My main concern would be using this set up for track/HPDE events. What say you? Thanks.

/Rich

I think I just figured out my own question: I just realized that the 295/30/19 Pilot Sport PS2 size in not the designated "C1" Viper-specific tire so I am assuming that it would not be recommended to combine the 343/30/19 C1 spec tire with the non-C1 spec 295/30/18 front size. Is that correct?

/Rich

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to be the resident post hog but I am trying to get my car ready for the upcoming HPDE/driving school season.

Question: Near the front wheel arch area of my 2008 Viper there are some short brake duct tubes pointed at the wishbone and brake assembly. For 8-10 HPDE events per year, would adding additional ducting or tubing to extend the stock system closer to the rotor/caliper assembly result in noticeable improvement in brake/fade efficiency? Thanks!

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This question missed the last SRT Q&A so I thought I would re-post it.

I just read about the electronic data recorders (EDR's) on the Nissan GT-R. The most intrusive being, the vehicle status data recorder (VSDR) that records your every action for almost a week!

Corvettes have an EDR also and GM claims that they will be able to shut down the vehicle through the OnStar System to assist law enforcement in the near future.

Do the 08 and 09 Vipers have electronic data recorders on board?
If so, what data is stored and are they downloadable with the tools that local police and insurance companies now have?

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the official weights of the different options/models?

03-06 Coupe, Vert?

08-09 ACR, ACR ********, Coupe, Aero Coupe, Vert and Aero Vert?

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The passenger window on my 08 Coupe hits the door window frame when I close the door. It is rubbing off the paint on the top of the door frame. Is there a way to adjust how much the window goes down when you open the door so this wont happen?

Thanks,

Flash

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having problems with my power steering pump leaking on my 93 Viper. It's a slow leak that can't be seen exactly where it is coming from. Even while under it with the viper started and the wheel turning you can't see exactly where it is coming from. It looks to be coming from in between the reservoir and the pump.

I have replaced the pump, reservoir, lines, etc. But the problem just stops for a while and then re-emerges later. I have even put some silicone on the O-ring to help stop the leak with no luck.

I am beginning to think that because the problem stops for a while after replacing parts that it is because I track (roadcourse) my car so often with out a power steering cooler that the fluid is getting so hot that it starts to leak again. And that the problem won’t be completely relieved until I put a power steering cooler on.

What do you think?

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) I had an 08 model year Viper and now have an 09. Both are brand new. On my 08, the doors were a cinch to close with minimal effort. The 09 takes considerably more effort to close both doors. Many times I feel like I am slamming them. Was there anything changed that would affect the closing effort on the 09's?

2) Ordered a yellow ACR about a month ago. Would you PLEASE consider offering the yellow driver's stripe as a factory option so I can add it to my options list? :)

Thank you for your dedication!

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Any plans to take an ACR back to the "ring" and have some more fun?

Any companies doing reasearch for a runflat tire for the 2008-09's?

Was there ever any research/thought or wind tunnel testing for a convertible ACR?

Do you recommend and lubercation for weatherstrip rubber molding?

OEM brake pads that dust less?

I might store my car for a few months any recommendations on what to do? Battery tender?

Most satisfying accomplishment for the current engineering team?

Is the ACR really a few tenths slower in the 1/4 mile due to the areo package?

1) We certainly enjoyed the only trip we’ve ever made to the ‘Ring, so we might have to go back sometime!

2) We are not aware of anyone developing a runflat tire for the Gen 4 cars.

3) No, we do not recommend lubricating the weatherstrip.

4) Development of the ACR began on the convertible, before the Gen 3 coupe was available. When the Gen 3 coupe was approved, we switched ACR development to that car because it was a better fit for an uncompromising track car.

5) We have not tested any pads that produce less dust. To be honest, this was not a consideration during brake system development for the Viper; we were strictly focused on performance.

6) For battery care during long term storage, do one of the following:
- Disconnect the battery
- Use a battery charger
- Put the vehicle in Battery Save mode (3-month charge)
The Battery Save mode is described in your owner’s manual. Note that the Vehicle Security Alarm is disabled when the Battery Save feature is enabled.

For other storage considerations, consult the “Vehicle Storage” pages of your owner’s manual.

7) Each member of the current engineering team probably has their own most satisfying accomplishment (achieving 600HP, developing a new engine controller from scratch in record time, improved driveability, achieving 1000 lbs of aero downforce with the ACR, setting the production car lap time record at the ‘Ring, etc).

8) In our experience, the ACR and base Viper have very similar ¼ mile times, probably within run-to-run variation for most folks. The ACR has slightly more grip, but also more drag.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Should '08 owners have any expectations that any of the controller changes made for '09 become approved for use in an '08. I gather that the changes border on unnoticeable, but I'd still like the opportunity to utilize even the slightest improvements.

I have been told that "backwards compatible" changes of this nature would require extensive government recertification. Is this the case?

Thanks in advance.

The 2009 controller will work on a 2008 car, but would need to be set up for your car... the cost of a new controller is pretty much equal to that of the Mopar Race Controller.

The biggest improvements are available within the Mopar Race Controller. The differences between 2008 and 2009 are so small that there are not plans for flash update... There are as you mentioned regulatory implications.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

Prefix provides a complete service if you want a custom Drivers Stripe. They can have the car shipped to them for the stripe work and then delivered to you when it's done. Unfortunately due to federal laws, the cars can't be custom fitted during the assembly process (including the production work at Prefix).

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
The ACR's that ran on the 'Ring had racing bucket seats installed, what brand and model are those? Why did SRT swap the stock seats out if the 6 points can hold the driver just as snug as the racing buckets?

The driver's seat was changed to a RaceTech race seat, but I'm not sure of the model. The installation of a race seat and belts was a requirement of the driver for any record attempts.

08ACRVTEN00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 08 ACR I am getting bellanger headers and the controller installed today. What is your opinion on the controller in testing so far?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Here's another question that just popped into my mind. While you're putting my engine together, is there any way for me to pay the extra bucks for a set of forged pistons? :)

Martin – Putting non-certified parts into an engine at the assembly plant is not something that can be done in today’s world. The pistons would have to be emissions and OBD certified which is a very long and expensive process.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456