SRT Coupe to be announced at VOI 8

SoFlaSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
According to a post on another board, the Viper coupe will be announced at the event. This is according to someone who received the following letter from John Gastman.

Hello,

Barb and I had an opportunity to tour the VOI.8 event which will be held in
Grapevine, Texas at Gaylord Texan Hotel and Texas Motor Speedway. We were very impressed with the facility.

You'll be busy doing something every waking hour or you can relax by the indoor or outdoor pool.

An evening at Billy Bob's, Fort Worth TX is planned. The facility has a live Rodeo with bull riding.

Different driving events include Viper and Dodge's SRT 4 Autocross. The new Ram Quad Cab SRT 10 and Crossfire SRT 6 will also be available to test drive at the Texas Motor Speedway.

Another reason for attending Dodge will be announcing the New Viper SRT coupe. If you are interested in the coupe-- please contact us.

Did you receive a mailing from Dodge on the new YELLOW SRT 10? Only 46 will be distributed to VCA members. The deadline to fax the Entry Form to Dodge is June 11,2004. The yellow SRT 10 will be delivered to the owners at the VOI.8. If you are interested please let us know.

If you are planning to attend the VOI.8 please let us know as we have a small gift for you.

Sincerely,

John Gastman e-mail address ([email protected])
Dennis Rocke e-mail address ([email protected])

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it has 525-550 hp and comes in Blue or Yellow with stripes, count me in!
Will that make it an 05' or 06' model?

Hey Chuck, make sure I'm number one on your list PLEASE!

2charmed

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it has 525-550 hp and comes in Blue or Yellow with stripes, count me in!
Will that make it an 05' or 06' model?

Hey Chuck, make sure I'm number one on your list PLEASE!

2charmed

2charmed you are always #1 on my list! :2tu: The order is ready, just waiting for DC to open the door!
Thanks

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I call BS - at least on the supposed "announcement" in Dallas. We were at the VERY same meeting and the coupe was NOT announced nor any hint that it would be! All due respect to Mr. Gastman (who I have heard without exception is a great guy), but he is just doing a preemptive strike as a car salesman - nothing more. I have my fingers crossed a coupe will be announced and SHOWN, but there is NOTHING official that anybody knows, especially from that meeting in Dallas.

Now the more interesting thread is the one about CAAP researching an "entry level" Viper SRT with a smaller, less expensive power plant that can be produced in Corvette numbers (quantity). Be sure to start placing your order for that one too... :rolleyes:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I call BS - at least on the supposed "announcement" in Dallas. We were at the VERY same meeting and the coupe was NOT announced nor any hint that it would be! All due respect to Mr. Gastman (who I have heard without exception is a great guy), but he is just doing a preemptive strike as a car salesman - nothing more. I have my fingers crossed a coupe will be announced and SHOWN, but there is NOTHING official that anybody knows, especially from that meeting in Dallas.

Now the more interesting thread is the one about CAAP researching an "entry level" Viper SRT with a smaller, less expensive power plant that can be produced in Corvette numbers (quantity). Be sure to start placing your order for that one too... :rolleyes:

I completely agree with this.

I also hope they DONT release a "low end" Viper. That is just what the Viper market needs... a cheapie version that will not perform like the REAL Viper, and kill its image. Hmm... Does no one remember the Dodge Stealth, or Mitsu 3000GT? that is exactly what killed them... the TT versions looked just like the N/A versions, and the car got a VERY bad reputation...never sold too well because of it. the Viper's image is clouded as it is, with a bad rap for handling, etc...

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, let's suppose they announce TWO versions. A lightweight coupe with the supercharged hemi engine (425-450hp) and a super Viper with all carbon fiber body work and 625-650 hp. Would that keep everyone happy? Let's also 'guess' that the base price on the V8 version would be $70K, SRT in the middle at $85K, and the super Viper going for $99K. Not exactly cheap numbers in anyones book, IMO.

It's a hell of a lot better plan than diverting all the developement money into the ME-412!

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Viperfreak2,

Did you do the photoshop on the Carbon to create the SRT/10 GTS? If so, do you
have more images like that?
That is a terrific rendition of what a GTS should look like!

A V-8 version should be either called something else, or be created to compete
in a specific race division.

The "Super Viper" if in a hardtop version with a blower and 550-600+ would be
great to me! :) :) :)

2charmed

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Just spoke to our friend John Gastman and he assures me that his e-mail was written with all the passion and enthusiasm of a Viper Guy, and that he in fact, did not here anything other than what your Regional, Zone and National Officers heard at the meeting.

In other words, he read between the lines, in hopes that there will be some "surprise" at VOI... but in no way was that "surprise" ever revealed to anyone (or even whether the surprise is actually a car!)

Thanks for your honesty John! .... and your passion!

jacflash

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's just say I'm going to hold off on buying a GTS until after VOI...

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Viperfreak2,
Did you do the photoshop on the Carbon to create the SRT/10 GTS? If so, do you
have more images like that?

No sorry, the credit goes to Snakebitten. It's exactly what I thought the car should have been at the start. As long as the SRTGTS ends up actually being made, and looks like the photoshop pic, I'll be happy. AND own two Vipers!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you imagine what an SRT coupe would do to SRT-10 values? The stock market crash would be pale in comparison.

Same thing that the GTS did to the RT/10 market: Not much. Simple fact is that DC builds Vipers largely to order. If the coupe market is as huge as everyone says it is, then there will simply be fewer SRT-10 roadsters made.

Now if there is a noticeable increase in power (50+ horsepower), then you will have a softer market on earlier SRT's. I think many of the people that have the roadster currently would stick with one in the future. I know my bride prefers the open top to a closed roof. And my racing habits (1/4 mile at a time) don't dictate a fixed roof. While I suspect I would like the style a bit better, the bottom line is performance and a happy marriage. Now if a coupe promises a lot more performance, then the wife will have to suffer... ;)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said Chris. I prefer a roadster. Period. Real sports cars are open roof :) (that ought to incite a few folks)

Regarding the comment above about a V8 at 425 to 450 hp (just quoting what was said above), why on earth would that power level require a supercharger? Only at Ford does that require a supercharger. I thought we were talking about a Dodge!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aww chris I was hoping to stir the *** a bit more than that! I guess you know me too well :laugh:

And Smokin has me down cold: If anybody questions my Stratomaro2000 I will come to its defense every time! :D

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aww chris I was hoping to stir the *** a bit more than that! I guess you know me too well :laugh:

Craig...you know I think the world of you so I decided that you...and only you...would get to hear about my epiphany concerning the all new and improved SRT-10 Coupe:

Late last Sunday...about 10:30 p.m...I had decided that I just hadda have a root beer slurpee from 7 dash 11. I thru on a pair of flip-flops and slid some sweatpants over my cutoffs and dashed off to my nearest slice of heaven. As I pulled up to my favorite parking place right in front of the dumpster I noticed off to the right that a car had parked BEHIND the dumpster and was partially covered in a silk car cover with the words "THIS IS NOT A VIPER COUPE" on the leading edge. Obviously, my curiosity was peaked and I proceeded into the establishment with eyes peeled...looking for both the ATM (for my slurpee money), the actual slurpee production machine and hopefully, the driver of said "behind the dumpster" automobile. After making sure that I had enough in my account...I withdrew $5 from the ATM and then sauntered around the store...casually looking for other eccentric type Viper owners such as myself. None were seen. I checked the candy aisle, the midget-sized magazine rack, the lottery station, the day old Krispy Kreme bin and the money order department. No one there looked like they even owned a car...much less one with a silk car cover. I proceeded to the slurpee machine arena and began filling up my cup with that ****** juice that makes the farting noise while it flows into the waiting cup. Unbelievably, I had just about farted my way to the "fill-to-here-or-we-will-hunt-you-down-and-force-you-to-do-things-with-our-slurpee-straws" edge when up from behind me I hear a voice asking which flavor I thought would go well with sauerkraut. Startled, I turned to see who was speaking to me with such a heavy, yet hauntingly familiar, German accent. I told him my name was Clark and the Bay ***-Vodka Tonic slurpee was the one he wanted to go with. I told him it was fruity without actually having seeds. Pretty neat.
Anyway...the fellow told me his name was Wolfgang and he was just passing thru town on his way to Stuttgart and had just picked up a combo meal #6 at Wienerschnitzel and needed something to wash it down while he headed on down the road. As he began to fart his slurpee into the cup I realized that this guy was the owner/operator/ex-chief of the car parked behind the dumpster. Without giving away too much information...the conversation went like this:
Clarkie: Say...that your silk car cover blowing against the dumpster out back?
Gangie: Yep...the one that smells like rotten apples(dumpster that is)?
Clarkie: Yep...is that a car under that cover or are you just a silk car cover salesman?
Gangie: Yep...thar's a car under thar a-right. A pretty neat car as a matter of fact.
Clarkie: What kinda car is it?
Gangie: Well...no one else can know this...especially the Canadians...but it's a brand new Viper Coupe...only one of its kind...and I've got it.
Clarkie: Any chance I could look at it...take about 1000 pictures...and post it all over the internet?
Gangie: Well...just so long as the Canadians don't get to see 'em. I guess a few 1000 or so wouldn't hurt. Let's go on out to the dumpster.
Clarkie: I've got you covered on your slurpee Gangie...I run a tab here.

Out we go. Gangie pulls the silk cover back and the car gleams with a brilliance I have not seen since I bought that engagement ring with the Cubic Zirconia stone that my baby loves so much. I pulled out my Kodak and starting snapping away. Amazing car...sort of a deep orange exterior(University of Texas) with a mahogany interior complete with brass trim. The interior was a leather base with crocodile stitching and it all fit extremely well. Gangie pulled the hood and I immediately noticed that the engine was "different". He wouldn't tell me what the HP rating was but he did let me know that the name Wankel would be emblazoned on the valve covers in the final edition of the car.
With that final comment...Gangie closed the hood...hopped into the car...pulled down the gull-wing doors(they were actually painted white...just like a gull). Pull started the motor and drove off thru the alley behind the 7 dash 11. It was an awesome sight and one that I wish I could share with all of you...but I promised that no Canadians would be able to see the pictures and quite honestly...I don't know how many of you VCA'ers are Canadian or have Canadian ancestory or have been to Canada or know someone that has.
I can tell you this....go to VOI...and ask those in authority where the silk-covered car is parked..or better yet...just ask them where the dumpsters are. And maybe..just maybe...you might get to see the new Wankel powered Dodge SRT-10 Coupe before anybody else does.

Good luck Craig...if anyone deserves a pic of this new car it is you my friend.

I know my deposit check is ready.

Your Trusting Pal,
Clarkie

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
now hot DAMN where is that bowdown smilie. DC should print that out and use it as a press release once they hopefully unveil this car. Like i've said, if this car is indeed a reality I will take back every single bit of SRT-basing, NASCAR hating (towards dodge) I have ever uttered. HEck it might just sway me to buy a product one day now that RWD is coming back!

PLEASE BUILD IT!

VIPERnXr4ti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now if there is a noticeable increase in power (50+ horsepower), then you will have a softer market on earlier SRT's.
didnt the original Coupe (GTS) offer a increase in power over the Gen I RT/10?(415-450 i think?) that didnt kill the Gen I RT/10 prices did it?? the RT/10 then recieved the same motor (450hp) the next year if i remember correctly

Anthony

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Clarkie,

There's no way Wolfgang would be caught in a Viper with mahogony interior!

It's carbon fiber or back to the drawing board! :p

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As for the hemi stuff, viper = V10! End of discussion. We don't need no stinkin hiimmmeee.

God perish the day they "corvetteize" our snakes. (Mass market them)

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clarkie,

It's carbon fiber or back to the drawing board! :p

So what you are saying is the Coupe will have Carbon Fiber interior trim!

That's great! Thanks Joe!

2charmed
:)

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clarkie,

au contraire my friend. I thought the same until I caught the glint in Gangie's eye when he opened up the mahogany file drawer system that DC has cleverly designed between the Tach and the Oil Temp gauge.

Quite the engineering achievement don't you think?

Clarkie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas