SRT or GTS? And depreciation?

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
those 03-06 SRT's have tanked in value. I'm in the market for either a nice 01 / 02 GTS 50-60k, or now possibly thinking of a used SRT for 55-60k. I'm very surprised the prices were able to sit down this low on these cars.

From here, where does everyone think the values will be headed? Do we really assume the SRT's can go lopsided to the earlier gen cars? There must be plenty of people like myself that although do not prefer the style, are interested in buying a newer, higher performance car in the SRT.

(On a side note, any recommendations? I've owned a 99 RT/10, so I think the SRT might be funner from a different standpoint)

Chris

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may get flames but I do not understand why the Srt did not go over bigger than it has.I never did like the older Vipers but I love the Srt.Do you think that most of the current Viper buyers are previous Viper owners and they have not adjusted to the SRT change?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the reasons is that the SRT has a lot more competition in the marketplace than the RT/GTS had.

no car in the same price range than the GenII had 450hp, Today, you've a bunch of car that push 500hp as Corvette,BMW,etc.

But,I do believe that the main factor is the styling/design, by making it more mainstream, the "marketing" target of the Viper changed and you end up with a lot of potential buyers cross-shopping the SRT with a few other cars.

For the GenI and GenII,due to their extreme,some will say almost cartoonish style,cross-shopping was about zero.

Used car prices and consequently depreciation, has a lot to do on how popular the car was when brand new,add to that the fact that a lot of car crazy peoples simply could not afford the GenII ($70K +) when new and are now buying them used at $45K/$50K and you understand better why the SRT is depreciating faster/more than the GenII.

Another factor is due to a car original design being almost always more valuable than the 2nd or 3rd designs (even if a "better" car),some example being the Jag "E Type" Serie I compared to II and III or the 65/65 Mustang compared to the 67/68 ot the first Camaro.

Luc.00GTS

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does everyone insist that the SRT's have tanked in value? Most GenII cars are in the $40-55K range. Gen III cars are generally 50K plus. It's as though certain Gen I and Gen II owners are trying to prove a point. Personally it's getting really old. All cars depreciate, the Viper is no exception. Just because a guy asks 60K for a car, doesn't mean he's getting that figure. In the past two years I've purchased two ACR's, both were asking close to sixty, I bought both for 50K each. Buy the cars and enjoy them, stop the mine is better than yours crap.

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does everyone insist that the SRT's have tanked in value? Most GenII cars are in the $40-55K range. Gen III cars are generally 50K plus. It's as though certain Gen I and Gen II owners are trying to prove a point. Personally it's getting really old. All cars depreciate, the Viper is no exception. Just because a guy asks 60K for a car, doesn't mean he's getting that figure. In the past two years I've purchased two ACR's, both were asking close to sixty, I bought both for 50K each. Buy the cars and enjoy them, stop the mine is better than yours crap.
You are actually correct.In comparison the to other makes the Vipers have held their value very good.Most cars like the Viper lose the large part of depreciation in the first 2 years.Then they tend to level out.The Viper has been listed as on of the best resale valued cars.I saw one article that said 60 pus % in 5 years.Take 83k x .60=49.8k.It is about what they are going for at 5 years old and in many cases more.I have had vehicles depreciate 30,40 & 50% in one year.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Camfab,
Are the ACRs part of a collection? I'd love to grab one in the next year or 2, given the extremely low # produced. A low mile, stocker would be great... Which year(s) are yours?

OP
OP
C

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New 05s sell for 65k right now, new 06 available for as low as 66k, and a pool of them at 67k.

Its a big difference from what was happening on the 2nd gens...

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those prices are hard to believe, and swallow. But, what better argument to buy a Viper now? Consider availability and mark-up on c6z06 and you get open air motoring, exclusivity and equal performance (with much more mod potential) for the same price....

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those prices are hard to believe, and swallow. But, what better argument to buy a Viper now? Consider availability and mark-up on c6z06 and you get open air motoring, exclusivity and equal performance (with much more mod potential) for the same price....
Just curious but where do you consider equal performance to the Z06?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If youv'e watched the market closely for the past five years, you would realize that when the Gen III cars came out the Gen II cars took a hard hit. In fact NOS Gen II cars were available at equally heavy discounts in '03 and '04. The supply of Gen III cars is high now, and they are not the King of the Hill at the moment. It's my gut feeling that many perspective Viper owners buy the vehicle based on bragging rights. As noted above, 500 HP is not that big a deal anymore. So youv'e got a temporary glut of vehicles which is making the SRT's a little soft at the moment. If you can buy an SRT for 10-15K off sticker, then your ahead big time in the depreciation game.

Motor City, both cars are 2000 steel grey models. First one is gone(bummer), both built same day, within two hours of each other.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid $54k for my 1996 GTS over 6 years ago...... looking at the selling and asking prices now, I think it's held it's value very well..... better than any car I've ever owned....

I won't consider a new Viper until they are competitve in the current market again.... no way I'm going to spend 70-80k on a new car that get's the beat down by the vette.... I don't care if it's more exclusive, or looks better.... it's got to perform....

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
I won't consider a new Viper until they are competitve in the current market again.... no way I'm going to spend 70-80k on a new car that get's the beat down by the vette.... I don't care if it's more exclusive....it's got to perform....

Ditto. IMHO the SRTs will depreciate very quickly and be worth far less than the Gen I & II once the new '08 comes out. Of course than is ASSUMING that DC does not screw up the '08 with mass market appeal(means toned down design and a trunk to haul golf clubs). The SRT run will only have been 4 to 5 years(5 years if they do an '07 with NEW LIMITED EDITION COLORS...WOW!) and only 1 to 2 years for the Coupe. That does not increase their collectibility due to a short run. It only means most Viper fans did not like them and they couldn't sell them. In early '07(when '08 comes out) you'll be able to buy SRTs for $45K or lower. If you want one wait until then. I may get a Coupe and keep it stock for a DD that I can park anywhere and not have to worry about it no matter how LIMITED it's color combo is. I will never sell the GTS.

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I won't consider a new Viper until they are competitve in the current market again.... no way I'm going to spend 70-80k on a new car that get's the beat down by the vette.... I don't care if it's more exclusive....it's got to perform....

Ditto. IMHO the SRTs will depreciate very quickly and be worth far less than the Gen I & II once the new '08 comes out. Of course than is ASSUMING that DC does not screw up the '08 with mass market appeal(means toned down design and a trunk to haul golf clubs). The SRT run will only have been 4 to 5 years(5 years if they do an '07 with NEW LIMITED EDITION COLORS...WOW!) and only 1 to 2 years for the Coupe. That does not increase their collectibility due to a short run. It only means most Viper fans did not like them and they couldn't sell them. In early '07(when '08 comes out) you'll be able to buy SRTs for $45K or lower. If you want one wait until then. I may get a Coupe and keep it stock for a DD that I can park anywhere and not have to worry about it no matter how LIMITED it's color combo is. I will never sell the GTS.
Could you or someone shed some light on the issue of the Srt not being popular amongst the Viper community?I really don't understand.I think it is a great car.
Looks great, runs great and handles great.Is there a large price difference from the GenII's that pushed people back?Most of the non Viper community actually seam to like the Srt more.They pick on the look of the GenI's and II's.They say they are cartoonish and look like a clown shoe.I personally like the Srt better.I just don't get it.

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently traded my 2001 GTS for an 06 Coupe. I did realize that the 06 would probably depreciate faster than the 2001 GTS, but depreciation is only one factor when buying a car. Since I enjoy driving the GenIII more than my GTS, I don't really care if the car depreciates a bit quicker. I recommend to buy what you like because when spending 50-60K for a car, you should really like it. It should not be a compromise.

My overall sense is that the Gen I/Gen II Vipers are something unique/special and will always command very good prices no matter how they measure up from a performance standpoint to the new cars. I think this is similar to Mid Year Corvettes.

Gen III/IV Viper are more modern and from a performance and costruction standpoing are similar to C6 Corvettes and will depreciate similarly. I think the new Z06 will effect purchase and resale values of similar performance cars for years to come. So if you buy any new performance car, either a Z06, Gen III, or GenIV plan on it depreciating.

They just ain't that rare anymore.

Dagger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I'm very surprised but not! I really didn't expect such a clear division between Gen I & III. I guess some things never change. People who have never have enough, and people that don't tend to bash the ones that do. Personaly I love and "chose" a Gen III becuase of the technology. It may sound silly but I could never really get over the sound of older vipers. In a sense, it's like a super model with a voice like daffy duck :p That's not to say that I wont own a Gen II. I'm acutally looking at a couple right now. But for me, the Gen III really pushed me over the edge to lay the money down. From what you guys are saying, I guess I got totally screwed on my SRT. It had 2k miles on it and I paid 65k + Lowjack, Tax Etc..eding up being 74k. Oh well....I'm happy and I guess that's what counts :headbang:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if your in love with your Gen I & II Vipers that’s great, then Dodge has made you happy. You have a chose between an RT/10 or GTS. Now their out to make a some more people happy and they designed a Gen III in coupe and convertible. More HP and torque and yet a less “in your face” stance. Kind of, speak softy and carry a big stick.

As far as depreciation: I think the Gen III will be worth as much, or more than Gen I & II 20 years from now. They are so enjoyable to drive, and with 510 hp they are a true powerhouse that demands respect. IMO

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New 05s sell for 65k right now, new 06 available for as low as 66k, and a pool of them at 67k.

Its a big difference from what was happening on the 2nd gens...
Really?? :rolleyes:
You can get Gen2s for low 40s and high 30s. It took me 5 mins to find them.

2000 Dodge Viper RT Convertible
You must be registered for see images

Price $42,900
Body Style Convertible
Mileage 29,000
Exterior Color Viper Red
Interior Color Black
Engine 10 Cylinder Gasoline
Transmission 6 Speed Manual
Drive Type 2 wheel drive - rear
Fuel Type Gasoline
Stereo AM/FM Compact Disc Playr
Doors Two Door
Stock No. 00RTVpr
VIN 1B3ER65E7YV602848

SOLD, SOLD, SOLD...check www.starcitymotors.com for other Vipers in stock (or coming soon). 2000 Dodge Viper RT/10 Roadster. One Owner, locally owned and enjoyed. V10 450+ Horsepower, 6 Speed manual transmision. Red with Black Leather interior. Fully detailed, inspected and ready to go. Brand new brakes all the way around. Registered until March 2007. Clean CA Titile, no accidents, great condition! Options: Comes with a Hard Top and some nice upgrades: *StopTech Big Brake front calipers with 2-piece slotted rotors. *Roe Racing cooling duct and fan control. *Roe Racing power steering cooler. *MasterLube oil accumalotor.Pre-oiler. *OEM Viper Shop Manual *K&N Air Filters and Smooth Tubes. Standard features include:18" Polished wheels, CD player, Power windows, locks and mirrors, Air Conditioning, Adjustable pedals Priced at $42,900 for quick sale. Call (415) 793-4864. Star City Motors, Specializing in Dodge Vipes and other exotic/luxury sports cars. Financing Available with excellent rates and terms. Quality trade-ins considered. Call today or visit www.starcitymotors.com for more information.

Driver Air Bag; Air Conditioning; Alloy Wheels; Passenger Air Bag; Leather Seats; Power Door Locks; Power Mirrors; Power Windows; Power Steering; Sunroof/Moonroof; Tilt Wheel;

1996 Dodge Viper

Price $38,900
Body Style Convertible
Mileage 32,700
Interior Color Black
Engine 10 Cylinder
Transmission Manual
Drive Type 2 wheel drive
Fuel Type Gasoline
Doors Two Door

1996 DODGE VIPER, 32,700 mi, ac, lthr, w/warr, 1 of 166, needs nothing but new owner, all stock except CD, runs/drives supurb! $38,900, 847-875-4628

Air Conditioning; Alloy Wheels; Compact Disc Player; Leather Seats;

1996 Dodge Viper RT Convertible

Price $38,888
Body Style Convertible
Mileage 21,147
Exterior Color Red
Interior Color Black
Engine 10 Cylinder Gasoline
Transmission Manual
Drive Type 2 wheel drive - rear
Fuel Type Gasoline
Doors Two Door
VIN 1B3BR65E4TV100259

1996 DODGE VIPER, 21,147 mi, ac, tilt, lthr, am/fm, I have a removable hard top with glass windows. 302-228-1976 Sweet Car., $38,888, 302-228-1976, GREENWOOD, #87627

Air Conditioning; Alloy Wheels; AM/FM Radio; Compact Disc Player; Leather Seats; Tilt Wheel;

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really??

You better spend a few more minutes because only the first one is a Gen. 2. :rolleyes:

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Couple of grand give or take... who cares?? if you buy a Viper pinching pennies you are in the wrong car.

I love my SRT, and having owned both this (04) and a 95 I can say I'll take te 04 anytime... the 05 was fun back in the days.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, I’m already trying to decided what my next Viper will be. I am so impressed with the SRT/10, any Viper DC makes I’ll buy.
To each his own on the styling, but with $20k in suspension & brake upgrades on my GTS, ViperDays still put the SRT/10’s in a class above me. I’ve been club racing for 12 years, 3 in my GTS. When I went for a drive in a friends bone stock SRT/10, I almost pissed myself. Scary quick and under control. Oh, and with the top down.
As far as depreciation, it’s all relevant. I saw a 2004 DB9 Vanquish for sale yesterday for $145K from $250K. What’s wrong with them? JMO

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's really no argument here. The SRT is the better car. By far. Where the Gen1/2's better the SRT's are in styling and nostalgia, which are subjective, but can definately a driving force in long term (30-50yrs) value. There's also an argument for the Gen1/2's being easier to mod, especially for obscene amounts of HP, although tuners are catching up quickly on this.

Bottom line is no one can see the future. Enjoy you Viper NOW, no matter what gen it is. If you want your money to grow, invest in oil or gold.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing that is sadly lacking is respect from forum members who attempt to trash any Viper other than the one they purchased.

The car is only a part (a large part) of the Viper Ownership Experience. It is the ability to get together with other Viper Owners to share comraradie, fun, stories, cruises, VOI's, dinners, racing and other club functions.
I will always have a hard time with people that choose to brag about their specific Viper, and put down others choices. To me that is just bad manners.

Lots of Vipers to choose from. Lots of colors, engines, styling, and prices. Enjoy the one your please, and perhaps control your desire to put down other Viper owners choices.

The ViperNation is glued together by our love of these amazing cars. The driving experience is very similar in all the cars. Lots of torque, massive tires, and styling that makes a statement.

Buy the car you wish, but please refrain from putting down others that choose differently. :buttkick:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing that is sadly lacking is respect from forum members who attempt to trash any Viper other than the one they purchased.

The car is only a part (a large part) of the Viper Ownership Experience. It is the ability to get together with other Viper Owners to share comraradie, fun, stories, cruises, VOI's, dinners, racing and other club functions.
I will always have a hard time with people that choose to brag about their specific Viper, and put down others choices. To me that is just bad manners.

Lots of Vipers to choose from. Lots of colors, engines, styling, and prices. Enjoy the one your please, and perhaps control your desire to put down other Viper owners choices.

The ViperNation is glued together by our love of these amazing cars. The driving experience is very similar in all the cars. Lots of torque, massive tires, and styling that makes a statement.

Buy the car you wish, but please refrain from putting down others that choose differently. :buttkick:

I think you're unfairly lumping all forum members with a few crybabies. Most appreciate all Viper gens. My post above yours is very positive to the SRTs, and I own a GTS.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE:

"Bottom line is no one can see the future. Enjoy you Viper NOW, no matter what gen it is. If you want your money to grow, invest in oil or gold."

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '96 Mystic Cobra with 3,994 miles, and could kick myself for not driving it more. I purchased it as an investment because there were only 2,000 produced. If I could go back in time, I'm sure I'd drive the car more or just passed on buying it and invested in something a little more stable. There are still brand new '04 Vipers still waiting to be sold, so I'd say supply has surpassed demand and it's hurting the value. That's what happens when bean counters that have no love for the car step in and flood the market. The Gen III is really growing on me and I'd love to have a new coupe (so don't think I'm bashing the Gen III), but I think the value of Gen 1 and 2 cars will be greater than Gen 3 because of the volume produced. Also, the brakes are terrible on earlier Vipers so they're are less and less left that haven't been totaled.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wish this thread would just go away -- I come here to enjoy my car, not talk about what it might be worth when I sell it ...

(and btw, I LOVE the style of the SRT ... much more than any Gen 1 or 2 ... and you shouldn't compare a GTS 'coupe' to an SRT 'roadster' -- they're apples and oranges -- compare a GTS coupe to an SRT coupe)

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote by RedGTS

Really??

You better spend a few more minutes because only the first one is a Gen. 2. :rolleyes:

[/QUOTE]

Sorry but your wrong! 1996 is the start of the Gen 2 my friend. The introduction of the GTS started the 2nd Generation. :buttkick:

"You better spend a few more minutes" and click the link below for some great info on all three generations.

http://www.dodgeforum.com/models/Viper/history/second-generation/

Second Generation
The 1996 Viper officially began the second generation of the Viper, but the RT/10 looked very similar to the previous years' Vipers. The biggest news was the addition of a coupe, named the Viper GTS. There were new colors offered, such as White, and a new striping package with varying colors was offered. The three spoke aluminum rims were no longer offered, and in their place, a polished or painted 5 spoke 17" aluminum wheel was standard. While the Viper still came packed with the 8.0L, 6 speed manually shifted V10, the second generation boasted a gain of horsepower and torque, to 415 horsepower and 488 lb-ft of torque in the RT/10, and 450 horsepower in the GTS, thanks in part to the free flowing exhaust which exited through the rear of the car, as opposed to exiting by means of the side pipe exhaust. The GTS also featured an interesting roof line which had a "double bump" shape. This was done in order to affect aerodynamics as little as possible, but at the same time, it allows for a taller driver and passenger to fit in the car while wearing helmets. Other than the occasionally addition or deletion of color options, virtually nothing changed over the course of the run of the second generation Viper, from 1996-2002.

:buttkick:

Dagger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE:

"Bottom line is no one can see the future. Enjoy you Viper NOW, no matter what gen it is. If you want your money to grow, invest in oil or gold."

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

I 2nd that! And when your ready to invest...just give me a call :2tu: