SRT Skidplates

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Marco (s/n Trova Fortuna) at Advanced Mobile Group sent me a set of his skid plates to install on my SRT and I agreed to take some pictures and give feedback on his design.

They are made from 1/4" UHMW Polyethylene w/ countersunk mounting holes and beveled edges.

As you can see, I needed these skid plates a while ago.
You must be registered for see images
These are completely different than the Snake-Oyl product. These mount on each side and are shaped to fit the lower fascia lines.

The AMG plates require that you drill holes for the mounting bolts.

I removed all the trim screws from under the fascia in order to be able to access the inside for the locknuts. I installed the inboard rearmost allenhead bolt and then drilled one bolt hole at a time, working my way around each plate. I used a 15/64 drill bit. The bolts are 1/4, so it made for a tight fit.

The install went well, taking about an hour or so with some of that putting the car on jack stands. Obviously a lift would have made it easier.

I have not had a chance to run it up onto a parking stop yet, but the plates look like they will take a pretty good beating. I am not sure what these will cost, so that could be a consideration.

For more info email Marco at [email protected] or give him a call at 519 903-0430.

Thanks Marco.

Last edited:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have less scrapes on the bottom of my front end loader:D

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't that the rear of the car???

It looks like they need to be a bit bigger from looking at all of the scrapes on your car....

Joe

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the nose usually countacts first, so why someone would want them towards the back of the facia, I dont know.

Also most skid plates bolt into place using stock bolt locations, these look like they require you to drill into your facia? ****, why protect something if your going to drill into it ?

I can't say these are going to be a hot item.. but hey, i could be wrong.. have been before.

Jon

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I wrong here but aren't these on the back of car to protect from stone chips????

Joe

Reaction score
No they are on the front, if you are going to do this you should really make some form of "splitter" type of protector that goes all the way across the front and is replaceable. This would have it's own issues though with attachments.

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I see it now... Not sure if I put them on my car...

Just think if you went to far on a parking block and backed off of it...
It would likely grab and rip the front fascia off....

A piece that extends over the whole bottom would work much better...

Joe

OP
OP
B

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, yeah - the previous owner wasn't overly cautious when it came to parking stops, so the scrapes were there when I bought it (errr, most of them methinks).

Knowing that I would probably refinish the fascia down the line, I thought I'd give these a try first and see how they work. It would be no big deal to fill the holes should I choose to go with another product or none after a refinish.

Moreover, it may be more difficult to make a piece fit flush along the width of the fascia because it is contoured underneath and the edges are actually lower than the middle.

I see these working well if the car is lowered (mine is not), and you are pulling into a curbed driveway at an angle.

Nontheless, these are prototypes, so we'll see how they function.